Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Ben Davis vs Warren Central (97th Circle City Showdown)

By the way, it's good to see that this rivalry is finally getting placed in a historical perspective. I mean, these two have played every year since about four years prior to the U.S. entering World War II. I have to really thank Marion County's unofficial official high school sports historian Jim Pich for sharing his hard work and research with Ben Davis and Warren Central. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a game tonight everyone. Warren Central takes the 97th Circle City Showdown in a hard fought shootout 57-56. Congrats to the Warriors on bringing the bragging rights back to the Eastside. Warren Central improves to 4-1, 3-1 in the MIC while Ben Davis loses its second straight game to fall to 2-3, 1-2 in conference play. Over 100 points combined between the two teams. 

Rise up Warriors!!!!

9 minutes ago, Warren Central Warrior said:

What a game tonight everyone. Warren Central takes the 97th Circle City Showdown in a hard fought shootout 57-56. Congrats to the Warriors on bringing the bragging rights back to the Eastside. Warren Central improves to 4-1, 3-1 in the MIC while Ben Davis loses its second straight game to fall to 2-3, 1-2 in conference play. Over 100 points combined between the two teams. 

Rise up Warriors!!!!

I could not be more thrilled for my friend Mike Kirschner. His kids took advantage of every Ben Davis mistake and never quit. This one will be a tough one to swallow for Ben Davis. I'm very gutted for the Giants, but, if it had to be a loss like this, I'm glad it was to Mike. He is a great man, and his team believes in him clearly. Congratulations to all the Warriors fans too. That one's going to be talked about for decades. BD and Warren combined for 113 points tonight. The BD/Warren basketball regional in 2018 ended up as a 48-46 win for Warren in OT. Chew on that one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

At what point do we come out and say Simmons is in over his head? I’ve reluctantly given him the benefit of the doubt the last few years, but there seems to be no progress being made over on the West Side. Pretty inexcusable to lose that game in that fashion.

How’s that?  They’ve been in the semi state the past two years and just lost to one of the best teams in the state.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

How’s that?  They’ve been in the semi state the past two years and just lost to one of the best teams in the state.  

Is there serious progress? He has a losing record through 4.5 seasons. Is 2-3 this year with a team yielding almost 40 ppg and just inexcusably blew multiple double digits in a single game against an arch-rival that he’s 1-3 against. Highlight of the year is playing Center Grove close for a half. The two teams he’s beaten are a combined 0-10. Is that acceptable at Ben Davis?

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Is there serious progress? He has a losing record through 4.5 seasons. Is 2-3 this year with a team yielding almost 40 ppg and just inexcusably blew multiple double digits in a single game against an arch-rival that he’s 1-3 against. Highlight of the year is playing Center Grove close for a half. The two teams he’s beaten are a combined 0-10. Is that acceptable at Ben Davis?

Tonight was pretty bad and while @BDGiant93has skin in the game and sometimes sugar coats things, Warren took advantage of some pretty damn head scratching decisions from BD tonight.

Not that it matters but I walked away from the game (and am still sitting in my living room typing this) in disbelief.  I still cannot clearly state whether or not Warren won the game or BD let it get away in losing it.

Nearly everything that had to go wrong for BD in the last 2 minutes DID.

Credit to Warren for making the plays but I’m not sure the BD coaching staff gets one wink of sleep tonight.

Edited by temptation

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Tonight was pretty bad and while @BDGiant93has skin in the game and sometimes sugar coats things, Warren took advantage of some pretty damn head scratching decisions from BD tonight.

Not that it matters but I walked away from the game (and am still sitting in my living room typing this) in disbelief.  I still cannot clearly state whether or not Warren won the game or BD let it get away in losing it.

Didn’t see it so can’t really comment on it, but saw they blew a 22 point lead and then later a 13 point lead with less than 2 minutes to go. Credit Warren for never bowing out but that question kind of answers itself. 

They’ll likely outscore LN next week before losing to Carmel, then win big against two bad teams in LC and North Central to get above .500 for the first time this year, but I just don’t see any progression out of the Giants.

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Didn’t see it so can’t really comment on it, but saw they blew a 22 point lead and then later a 13 point lead with less than 2 minutes to go. Credit Warren for never bowing out but that question kind of answers itself. 

They’ll likely outscore LN next week before losing to Carmel, then win big against two bad teams in LC and North Central to get above .500 for the first time this year, but I just don’t see any progression out of the Giants.

A questionable two point conversion failed after their second TD to go up 13-7…ended up losing by ONE.  (Though they did get a safety on an intentional grounding call later in the game.)

A decision late in the 3rd/early in the 4th quarter (113 points scored so it’s escaping me) to go for it on 4th and 8 from your own side of the 50 yard line.  They were stopped and Warren gained momentum and never looked back.  They were up 3 scores at the time I believe.

Constant letting down their guard in the back four as they seemed to let Warren skill guys run past their DB’s and safeties the entire night, particularly in the 2nd half when Warren was in obvious passing situations.

43-21 lead with 3 minutes to go in the third quarter.

Hindsight is 20/20 but BD drew Warren offside with 2 minutes to go when lining up for a FG which would have put them up 53-43.  They were awarded a first down and then scored with 1:51 left and then missed the extra point to go up 56-43.  Could have taken three knees (I’ll be honest in saying I do not know how many timeouts Warren had at the time.)  Not sure it would have mattered.

Disappointed we will likely not see a rematch in the tournament as used to be customary as CG will be heavily favored the week prior should they meet Warren.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, temptation said:

A questionable two point conversion failed after their second TD to go up 13-7…ended up losing by ONE.  (Though they did get a safety on an intentional grounding call later in the game.)

A decision late in the 3rd/early in the 4th quarter (113 points scored so it’s escaping me) to go for it on 4th and 8 from your own side of the 50 yard line.  They were stopped and Warren gained momentum and never looked back.  They were up 3 scores at the time I believe.

Constant letting down their guard in the back four as they seemed to let Warren skill guys run past their DB’s and safeties the entire night, particularly in the 2nd half when Warren was in obvious passing situations.

43-21 lead with 3 minutes to go in the third quarter.

Hindsight is 20/20 but BD drew Warren offside with 2 minutes to go when lining up for a FG which would have put them up 53-43.  They were awarded a first down and then scored with 1:51 left and then missed the extra point to go up 56-43.  Could have taken three knees (I’ll be honest in saying I do not know how many timeouts Warren had at the time.)  Not sure it would have mattered.

Disappointed we will likely not see a rematch in the tournament as used to be customary as CG will be heavily favored the week prior should they meet Warren.

I am not counting out Warren against CG in the regional.

On 9/18/2021 at 8:42 AM, Warren05 said:

@BDGiant93 during the game late in the 4th qrt did you find it baffling that after Warren was called for offsides and the Giants had the ball inside the Warren 5 that Coach Simmons did not elect to take 3 knees and make Warren use their timeouts? Were you ok with them going in for the TD?

No comment.