Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A - games in

1 minute ago, TigerFan20 said:

Mooresville has a lot of big guys again this year, saw lots of 6’4 or higher guys. Will be an tough opponent for Jasper or Memorial in the Regional, unless East Central has an saying in that

Their defense is still not good. Central and Roncalli ran over them last year and it looks like Decatur did the same. The Tracey family has some MEN playing football on that Decatur team. 

Mooresville can still put a lot of points on the board. Brimmage is special.  He killed Plainfield.  

EC has taken a step back with the injury to the younger Ringer brother.  Saw a picture of family taking college visits for older brother and the younger brother was on crutches.  

1 minute ago, Knightsfan_01 said:

Ehh.. call it what you want.  I’ll just say there were two halves to that game and the way the 2nd half went I will like our chances in sectionals.

Watched the Lowel-Hobart game.  I think Leo-EN winner comes out of North.  Both teams are physically impressive.  

6 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

Their defense is still not good. Central and Roncalli ran over them last year and it looks like Decatur did the same. The Tracey family has some MEN playing football on that Decatur team. 

Mooresville can still put a lot of points on the board. Brimmage is special.  He killed Plainfield.  

EC has taken a step back with the injury to the younger Ringer brother.  Saw a picture of family taking college visits for older brother and the younger brother was on crutches.  

Well, whoever gets out the Regional, faces good old Roncalli

Edited by TigerFan20

7 minutes ago, Knightsfan_01 said:

Ehh.. call it what you want.  I’ll just say there were two halves to that game and the way the 2nd half went I will like our chances in sectionals.

As I said BEFORE...  The FOLDING CHAIR came out, and they will meet again!   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MarkCalaway said:

I will always appreciate a good professional wrestling remark.  However, Leo makes it to the northern semi-state game in 4a with out breaking a sweat.  

It doesn't matter how bad you are as long as your competition is worse.

But these 2 teams are an absolute mirror of one another.  One passes, the other shies away from the "air" game.  

1 hour ago, fenderbender said:

The game is on IHSAATV - the Mooresville student TV broadcast.  Brimmage was not in the first series, but according to the student broadcasters, "they were just trying to get other players a chance to play." 😃  He did come in the second series.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Doing this paying dividends for Roncalli this year and last.   

???   You lost me there, FB.

More prominent teams are starting QBs very young up here.   Andrean started a sophomore QB this year.  He's thrown for 1,000 in 5 games

Michigan City is starting a soph QB. Tyler Bush  18 of 32 for 356 in his first start.

I think QBs are being 'bred' and lined up to start earlier.

None of the '3' are starting because of injury.,  It was the plan.  That's a change from years ago...

Edited by oldunclemark
spelling

19 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

???   You lost me there, FB.

More prominent teams are starting QBs very young up here.   Andrean started a sophomore QB this year.  He's thrown for 1,000 in 5 games

Michigan City is starting a soph QB. Tyler Bush  18 of 32 for 356 in his first start.

I think QBs are being 'bred' and lined up to start earlier.

None of the '3' are starting because of injury.,  It was the plan.  That's a change from years ago...

4 years ago Roncalli started the Leffler kid as a Fr. over some upper class men.   He did not really start playing QB until 8th grade.  He is going to end up owning every Roncalli passing record and is favored to win back to back titles. (Single season and career, will have to try hard for a few of the single game records like passing.)  He currently has the longest winning streak of any Roncalli QB..

If the Hobart kid is playing this well, I expect a similar bright future.  

7 hours ago, fenderbender said:

4 years ago Roncalli started the Leffler kid as a Fr. over some upper class men.   He did not really start playing QB until 8th grade.  He is going to end up owning every Roncalli passing record and is favored to win back to back titles. (Single season and career, will have to try hard for a few of the single game records like passing.)  He currently has the longest winning streak of any Roncalli QB..

If the Hobart kid is playing this well, I expect a similar bright future.  

Isn't this a relatively new thing, though.?

I'm a person of a certain age and, when i was young, you didnt even have freshmen on the varsity unless you were a small school.  Didnt matter how good they were. At schools of lets say, 1,000, freshman played JV and they dint question it.

Now you have freshman and sophomores throwing the ball 20-30 times.  The game has changed.

3 hours ago, southend said:

Usually where I have seen high school football, coaches usually start the best man at any position .. Freshman-senior. 

Here's the problem with that south-man.

If you start a freshman QB, he wasnt even on the team last year, right? But you had a backup QB on the varsity and junior varsity QB and a freshman team QB.  

You have to tell them all, they arent good enough. And if its the JV or the backup, then you have to tell them that even though they may have waited their entire life to play QB for the hometown team,  that they got beat out by a kid who isnt even in high school yet.

You have to tell the entire senior class that their final shot at their football goals will be led by a kid who cant even drive. And if they dont like that, they can learn a new position or they can go run cross country. 

See what I mean?

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm a person of a certain age and, when i was young, you didnt even have freshmen on the varsity unless you were a small school.  Didnt matter how good they were. At schools of lets say, 1,000, freshman played JV and they dint question it.

Now you have freshman and sophomores throwing the ball 20-30 times.  The game has changed.

Roncalli has only had two play in my time following the school.  (One QB and one DT.)  They were playing at a time when the senior/junior  classes were considered "down".

I also know one who is a junior at Cathedral.  He was beating up on my son's teams when they were 4th graders and he was big then.  Going to be playing college TE somewhere.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

If you start a freshman QB, he wasnt even on the team last year, right? But you had a backup QB on the varsity and junior varsity QB and a freshman team QB.  

You have to tell them all, they arent good enough. And if its the JV or the backup, then you have to tell them that even though they may have waited their entire life to play QB for the hometown team,  that they got beat out by a kid who isnt even in high school yet.

You have to tell the entire senior class that their final shot at their football goals will be led by a kid who cant even drive. And if they dont like that, they can learn a new position or they can go run cross country. 

See what I mean?

Yea, I remember that damn Rex Grossman coming in just out of 8th grade. Imagine if he wouldn’t have made JV and Varsity QB’s play defensive back and wide receiver, how good that Bloomington team could have been. I guess what your saying Moriority pulled a boner and  ruined the entire senior and junior class goals. 
I see wheat you mean. It’s definitely a problem, as you say. 

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

See what I mean?

None of that matters if the kids are buying into the coach and his program.  The best kids should be playing regardless of grade and the best programs do it in a heartbeat.

If the other kids don’t agree with that then it’s on them.  It’s always a tough pill to swallow to be told someone took your spot though.  There’s a lot more to coaching than X’s and O’s and the best coaches are even better at the relationships part of their jobs than the “easy” stuff.

That Hobart kid seems pretty dang good.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Knightsfan_01 said:

None of that matters if the kids are buying into the coach and his program.  The best kids should be playing regardless of grade and the best programs do it in a heartbeat.

If the other kids don’t agree with that then it’s on them.  It’s always a tough pill to swallow to be told someone took your spot though.  There’s a lot more to coaching than X’s and O’s and the best coaches are even better at the relationships part of their jobs than the “easy” stuff.

That Hobart kid seems pretty dang good.

And that game Friday night was DAMNED good also!  I was there, so I know....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

See what I mean?

That is why you pay the coach to make that call.  He knows better than any one his job is to win....just win baby. And if that call is wrong and they don't win he will be held accountable.  In our community we let our coach make that call not the family members or arm chair QB's on the sideline.  The coaches spend more time in the season with these kids that  those fence line coaches.

and he know that if this decision is incorrect and they don't win he will be held accountable.  

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree with you here though.  All of sports has changed with the way kids nowadays train.  Outside of season specialized training is huge now compared to 20 years ago.  These 15/16yr old QB’s that are starting are probably better, more polished, and more physically mature than the upperclassmen back then.

• Like 2

Plainfield has a freshman QB and he is good!

Avon has a sophomore QB that will be all-state as soon as next year. He was baptized as a freshman when the senior QB was told on game day of the sectionals that he had been exposed to covid and could not play. And he scared the crap out of Brownsburg that night.