Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A - games in

10 hours ago, Major said:

That is why you pay the coach to make that call.  He knows better than any one his job is to win....just win baby. And if that call is wrong and they don't win he will be held accountable.  In our community we let our coach make that call not the family members or arm chair QB's on the sideline.  The coaches spend more time in the season with these kids that  those fence line coaches.

and he know that if this decision is incorrect and they don't win he will be held accountable.  

11 hours ago, Knightsfan_01 said:

None of that matters if the kids are buying into the coach and his program.  The best kids should be playing regardless of grade and the best programs do it in a heartbeat.

If the other kids don’t agree with that then it’s on them.  It’s always a tough pill to swallow to be told someone took your spot though.  There’s a lot more to coaching than X’s and O’s and the best coaches are even better at the relationships part of their jobs than the “easy” stuff.

That Hobart kid seems pretty dang good.

I hear you and, in theory, you're right, but Its not that easy to define who the 'best kid' is, is it?

The best kid or the best leader. ?  The most talented kid or the the one who has earned respect of his teammates. See?  'The future' or 'the winner'? 

Hobart's freshman Noah Ehrlich started from day one.  They are coached by a former NFL player Craig Osika (He played on one of Hobart's 4 state title teams and he has big time respect in the Hobart community) and they apparently made this decision last spring.  I'd bet Osika had a talk with the seniors about it, too.

For the record, Ehrlich is 51 of 80 for 729 yards, 6TDs and no interceptions...against 5 teams that include Chesterton (4-1) and Merrillville (5-0) and Lowell.

He's proven himself. 

By the way, Andrean's 15-year-old sophomore Scott Ballentine is 102 of 156 for 1,175 yards, 12 TDS and 4 interceptions in 5 starts...including Merrillville (5-0) and two-time defending state champ Grand Rapids, Michigan Central Catholic (4-0). 

....Andrean plays Hobart this Friday. 

14 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Roncalli has only had two play in my time following the school.  (One QB and one DT.)  They were playing at a time when the senior/junior  classes were considered "down".

I also know one who is a junior at Cathedral.  He was beating up on my son's teams when they were 4th graders and he was big then.  Going to be playing college TE somewhere.

Fender.   

Didnt that Roncalli girl who throws the ball 70 MPH lead her team to the state softball title.??

As a 15-year-old sophomore (and she didnt play as a freshie due to Covid) 

10 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I hear you and, in theory, you're right, but Its not that easy to define who the 'best kid' is, is it?

The best kid or the best leader. ?  The most talented kid or the the one who has earned respect of his teammates. See?  'The future' or 'the winner'? 

Hobart's freshman Noah Ehrlich started from day one.  They are coached by a former NFL player Craig Osika (He played on one of Hobart's 4 state title teams and he has big time respect in the Hobart community) and they apparently made this decision last spring.  I'd bet Osika had a talk with the seniors about it, too.

For the record, Ehrlich is 51 of 80 for 729 yards, 6TDs and no interceptions...against 5 teams that include Chesterton (4-1) and Merrillville (5-0) and Lowell.

He's proven himself. 

By the way, Andrean's 15-year-old sophomore Scott Ballentine is 102 of 156 for 1,175 yards, 12 TDS and 4 interceptions in 5 starts...including Merrillville (5-0) and two-time defending state champ Grand Rapids, Michigan Central Catholic (4-0). 

....Andrean plays Hobart this Friday. 

I recall Highland started a frosh QB all season in 1987, including the state championship game.

• Like 1

Looking at schedules, it looks like 3 rematches could be in store for tournament time. 

19: Leo v East Noble - Leo won by 8

22: Roncalli v Chatard - Roncalli won by 7

24: Jasper v Memorial - Jasper won by 8

It’s always interesting to see how the teams adjust and play a second time.

All three could pose great sectional finals. Ping pong balls could match them up week 10 though. (Looking at you sectional 22)!

12 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Looking at schedules, it looks like 3 rematches could be in store for tournament time. 

All three could pose great sectional finals. Ping pong balls could match them up week 10 though. (Looking at you sectional 22)!

I have a strong feeling it will be Memorial Vs Jasper in Week 10

31 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Fender.   

Didnt that Roncalli girl who throws the ball 70 MPH lead her team to the state softball title.??

As a 15-year-old sophomore (and she didnt play as a freshie due to Covid) 

Yes, she is a friend of my son.   At school, the call her the "Lebron James of HS Softball" because of all the HS attention she is getting.

Top ranked So. in the nation last year and no reason for that to change.  

I think all of this underclassmen talk comes down to a question if they can physcially compete.  Are they built like FR or upperclassmen?  The Roncalli kid who started at QB was 6'2" and 200 lbs.  The FR DT who started was 6'1" and 270lbs.   I have seen the weight lifting videos from Roncalli's twitter of the young lady who pitches for Roncalli and she can physically compete with any older girl.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

And that game Friday night was DAMNED good also!  I was there, so I know....

A great game with great officiating as well. Leo did a great job getting EN to chase points with the 2 pt conversations. Definitely a game of two halves, this has the makings for a great matchup in sectionals (probably week 1 if we're being honest here.) But I am not discounting Northridge having a chance to upset either of these teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Always nice to hear. Thank you for noticing.

First time in awhile I can say I don't remember any fans offering their advice to the officials. Pretty clean game and they let them play, so there should be no complaints. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Very interesting since I think all three games were very different games after halftime.

I turned off the Leo game because I thought they were going to run them over after the first couple of drives.

Roncalli was 21-7 at half.

Jasper kept shooting themselves in the foot with turnovers in the first half.

18 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Here's the problem with that south-man.

If you start a freshman QB, he wasnt even on the team last year, right? But you had a backup QB on the varsity and junior varsity QB and a freshman team QB.  

You have to tell them all, they arent good enough. And if its the JV or the backup, then you have to tell them that even though they may have waited their entire life to play QB for the hometown team,  that they got beat out by a kid who isnt even in high school yet.

You have to tell the entire senior class that their final shot at their football goals will be led by a kid who cant even drive. And if they dont like that, they can learn a new position or they can go run cross country. 

See what I mean?

I see your point, to an extent, by I think it is an issue tied to culture.  The default that most people grow up with in sports is that "the older, more experienced guy gets the nod."  On the teams that I coached, I always made clear, and it became known with parents and players that the guys that started were the ones that produced and gave consistent effort in that production.  Every once in a while, I'd get a kid's parent, who moved in and didn't know the philosophy, who'd corner me after the a game and ask me why his kid wasn't starting even though he was in a higher grade.  For the most part though, the kids and parents knew that, while everyone was going to get a chance to play, productivity was what determined how long.

If a coach is constantly saying, from Day 1, "I don't care how big you are or fast you are or how old you are, but it's a question of what you DO with that," then I don't think anyone gets caught by surprise or feels cheated.  On the other hand, if he lets the expectations go unspoken, then I think he's likely, and rightly so, to see folks get upset if seniority is passed over.  I appreciate a coach who, on the first day of practices or before, tells the team "Not everyone is going to play and, if you want to up that playing time, you need to step up your game.  I will work with anyone who is serious about improving to see how to get you to that level of more playing time."

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 6:46 AM, fenderbender said:

Yes, she is a friend of my son.   At school, the call her the "Lebron James of HS Softball" because of all the HS attention she is getting.

Top ranked So. in the nation last year and no reason for that to change.  

I think all of this underclassmen talk comes down to a question if they can physcially compete.  Are they built like FR or upperclassmen?  The Roncalli kid who started at QB was 6'2" and 200 lbs.  The FR DT who started was 6'1" and 270lbs.   I have seen the weight lifting videos from Roncalli's twitter of the young lady who pitches for Roncalli and she can physically compete with any older girl.

Keagan Rothrock....was 24-1

364 strikeouts in 162 innings.....

Tell your son to become her agent. She might make some endorsement money when she gets to college

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Keagan Rothrock....was 24-1

364 strikeouts in 162 innings.....

Tell your son to become her agent. She might make some endorsement money when she gets to college

The only two games Roncalli lost were shutouts pictched by FC and New Pal.  Give her runs and she wins.

Hey,  what is this?  A softball message board???   😜 

• Haha 1