Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Linton vs Boonville at the Roy. Trap game?

Linton 4-0  Boonville 0-3. Linton has played a pretty good schedule to date. Hasn't been blowing teams out until last week against NV. I might add I think NV is really having a bad year and I wish them luck soon. On the other hand Boonville has played a pretty good schedule as well. Never being blown out and a close one with NK last week. If the Miners take them lightly with most of their players suited up it could easily be. Any Thoughts?

The Miners need to drop NV. Too long of a drive, either way, for a blowout.  Did everyone come out healthy?  If so, I can't see it being a game. The transitive property doesn't necessarily work in football, but I think it does here.  Linton > Southridge, Southridge > Booneville.   So Linton > Booneville.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LawrenceGreene said:

The Miners need to drop NV. Too long of a drive, either way, for a blowout.  Did everyone come out healthy?  If so, I can't see it being a game. The transitive property doesn't necessarily work in football, but I think it does here.  Linton > Southridge, Southridge > Booneville.   So Linton > Booneville.

I tend to agree with you on dropping NV. Reasons are a lil diff though. Miners are 2A now Falcons still 1A. Just a few years ago it was a very meaningful series both being 1A. Cayuga is a long trip but Boonville is longer and I see no benefit in that game either as value added playing a 4A school. Lotta better matchups out there but a lot of bigger, closer schools can't seem to happen.

1 hour ago, globemstr3 said:

I tend to agree with you on dropping NV. Reasons are a lil diff though. Miners are 2A now Falcons still 1A. Just a few years ago it was a very meaningful series both being 1A. Cayuga is a long trip but Boonville is longer and I see no benefit in that game either as value added playing a 4A school. Lotta better matchups out there but a lot of bigger, closer schools can't seem to happen.

Really surprised Linton dropped Southridge!  Southridge is a solid team year in and year out.  Great competition to start the year for the Miners!

On 9/13/2021 at 2:10 PM, globemstr3 said:

Linton 4-0  Boonville 0-3. Linton has played a pretty good schedule to date. Hasn't been blowing teams out until last week against NV. I might add I think NV is really having a bad year and I wish them luck soon. On the other hand Boonville has played a pretty good schedule as well. Never being blown out and a close one with NK last week. If the Miners take them lightly with most of their players suited up it could easily be. Any Thoughts?

Linton isn't going to take anyone lightly.  The Miners are still just getting everything together. The coaches are working to get the right people in the right spots.  Also they haven't had a full squad the last two games.  I think they will be close to full strength this Friday, although a couple are still out with injury.  The potential is there for lots of improvement.  As for the ending of the Southridge series, I'm not sure who dropped whom.  I rather think it was a mutual agreement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingtut said:

Linton isn't going to take anyone lightly.  The Miners are still just getting everything together. The coaches are working to get the right people in the right spots.  Also they haven't had a full squad the last two games.  I think they will be close to full strength this Friday, although a couple are still out with injury.  The potential is there for lots of improvement.  As for the ending of the Southridge series, I'm not sure who dropped whom.  I rather think it was a mutual agreement.

Not the case. SR was willing to stay in the agreement....Linton wanted out. 

1 hour ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Suffice it to say that the Miners have seldom seen a juggernaut like the Wolfs offense throughout the long and illustrious history of their football program.

Holy Cow !  I wasn't aware of what the Miners were getting into.  I wonder if outgoing AD Charlie K got us into that or New AD Clayton is responsible.  Oh well, we probably can get out of it in two years.  Seriously, I think that game will be a good matchup for both teams and could turn out to be a good rivalry.  BTW, I remember when Rockville was actually a juggernaut back in the days when they were a six-man football power.  

1 hour ago, kingtut said:

Holy Cow !  I wasn't aware of what the Miners were getting into.  I wonder if outgoing AD Charlie K got us into that or New AD Clayton is responsible.  Oh well, we probably can get out of it in two years.  Seriously, I think that game will be a good matchup for both teams and could turn out to be a good rivalry.  BTW, I remember when Rockville was actually a juggernaut back in the days when they were a six-man football power.  

I agree Rex. Adding Rockville (oops) PH is not a bad deal. I just wished that game would have replaced Boonville is all. I don't know though, introducing Juggernauts is a scary thought! LOL....GO MINERS!

On 9/15/2021 at 1:49 PM, jets said:

Not the case. SR was willing to stay in the agreement....Linton wanted out. 

I hate that.  I thought having Southridge on the schedule exposed the Miner weaknesses Game 1, giving them the rest of the season to work on them.  In the past, Eastern was the first game, and the Miners got nothing out of those 50+ point blowouts.   

6 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Suffice it to say that the Miners have seldom seen a juggernaut like the Wolfs offense throughout the long and illustrious history of their football program.

I'm not concerned with any team that used to be Rockville.  This wasn't a good trade, maybe if they had been switched for NV, North Daviess, or Eastern.

3 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

I agree Rex. Adding Rockville (oops) PH is not a bad deal. I just wished that game would have replaced Boonville is all. I don't know though, introducing Juggernauts is a scary thought! LOL....GO MINERS!

Why don't you like the Boonville matchup?  We've already discussed the series at 1-1.  They are better competition than the 3 teams I just mentioned.  An hour and 45 minute drive is common for other schools in the state.

37 minutes ago, LawrenceGreene said:

I hate that.  I thought having Southridge on the schedule exposed the Miner weaknesses Game 1, giving them the rest of the season to work on them.  In the past, Eastern was the first game, and the Miners got nothing out of those 50+ point blowouts.   

I'm not concerned with any team that used to be Rockville.  This wasn't a good trade, maybe if they had been switched for NV, North Daviess, or Eastern.

Why don't you like the Boonville matchup?  We've already discussed the series at 1-1.  They are better competition than the 3 teams I just mentioned.  An hour and 45 minute drive is common for other schools in the state.

Pull up their record on Harrels and they haven't won a sectional ever have they? I dont dislike Boonville great kids. But a game playing a really run of the mill 4A team I see no value. Southridge has proven their a quality team. Saying this who knows they might beat the Miners by 30 tomorrow. Doesn't change my thoughts. And you did ask why   so I answered.

13 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

Pull up their record on Harrels and they haven't won a sectional ever have they? I dont dislike Boonville great kids. But a game playing a really run of the mill 4A team I see no value. Southridge has proven their a quality team. Saying this who knows they might beat the Miners by 30 tomorrow. Doesn't change my thoughts. And you did ask why   so I answered.

Boonville has won 2 sectionals in 1984 and 2004. They also won the regional in 1984. The fact that they play in the 4A sectional with Jasper and the Evansville schools has a lot to do with the lack of sectional championships. Linton has had trouble winning against Southridge. Linton finally won this year to improve their record vs. Southridge to 1-7. That is about the same percentage wise as Southridge's record of 8-40 against Jasper. So does Boonville really look that bad compared to Linton? Who you play in your sectional matters.

• Like 3

several things to add.. LOL...   In my interview with Coach Buehning at Southridge.. he really expressed disappointment in losing Linton as season opener.  I definitely am sorry to see it go.  It's a great matchup for us to start the season... I like it better than what he had for years in destroying Eastern Greene by 50 every year.  No we haven't faired well in our series with the Raiders... but it most certainly made us address issues, and it was a big environment to be a part of.  Park Heritage is now the NVermillion we had faced in 2014,, 15 etc... They have great talent and an offense that was would test anyone.  Whether they can sustain that talent in the years to come... nobody can tell.  Small schools have good runs with particularly good classes... and you just hope the youngsters follow their example in working hard every day to be at the level.  But I would have loved to have continued with Southridge, and I do think it was Linton's decision.  I also know that it takes a bit to get games scheduled out...I would not think the current AD would have had anything to do with the schedule for 22 or maybe 23...  But I never once heard anyone talking about dropping Southridge from the opening game.. ever.   It was news to me when I did the Coach Buehning interview.  He said something about Sullivan...  I would like to see Linton's Defense against that P Heritage offense.  We need to face these all out passing monsters because that's what we possibly will face down the road.

Boonville--- we.... we've been in tussles with them in both games.  Being 4A... they do have size and do have a big roster, and last year Mockobee was a challenge to anyone.  We won the 1st meeting in Linton years ago... that saw Linton dominating and up 21-0 going into the 4th only to hang on 27-16...   We had 2 kids with over 100 yards rushing (Lannan and Dyer).   2020's overtime game was truly one for the ages... back n forth, momentum swinging... just excitement every play.  Linton appeared to have the game in hand after a punt return TD with 1:31 left put the Miners up 36-28...  and even more when Phillips fired deep to freshman Ballard and the ball was well played by the Miner DB. in fact it was in his hand and everybody in that stadium groaned on the Boonville said because it WAS an interception... but Ballard somehow ripped the ball away...and grabbed in at the Miner 19... and with just 18 second Mockobeewent in from the 9... and also ran in the game typing 2 point play 38 all.  OT saw both teams score easity... but Linton failed on a roll out pass/run on their 2 point attempt and lost 44-42.  Miners outgained Boonville on the ground but we didn't have any pass game, and the Pioneers put up 128 in the air...  Plus just before halftime a handoff snafu saw the pigskin hit the ground bounce right up in the full stride of Mockobee who galluped for a hand me a TD of 38 yards. 

For me the game does hold value for Linton.  I know it's a haul... but that's about what we are looking at if we want to avoid going back to playing the other small 1A teams.  I think scheduling Boonville was better than say washington and/or Pike Central or PRinceton.  Southridge is on the the upper tier football teams in the south.  Boonville has certainly won games and play a tough schedule as well.  I suppose in our region we could look at Owen Valley or Edgewood... I know we played OV for many years many moons back. In my years we played Shenandoah and Indian Creek.   I know there had been lots of talk with Vincennes Lincoln over the years.. and that would have been a good matchup.. but they already were playing North Knox and I don't think wanted the Schedule to contain too many smaller local schools.  Believe me.. I'd of enjoyed the Miners coming to Vincennes.   Northview?  or up in the WCC... but you never know in a time span what is gonna be a good game.  South Verm has had a couple solid years... Fountain Central at one time was THE team up there and we collided a couple times... winning a couple, losing another.  Seeger?   I do know this... today's world a small school like Linton.. public... isn't gonna be able to travel 2 hours to every away game... the costs are gonna be too much.  I like the local rivalries... granted maybe they are so much rivalries in the W-L history... but yes there were years where NorthDaviess was the big dog.. and they certainly handed one of their worst losses during my time (22 years) radio.  North Knox has had years where the Linton game was a huge local deal... and last year they physically handed us an embarrasing blast on our home turf.  Eastern Greene has only beaten once... the year they were state runnerups in 1A.  So once in a while these teams rise up and it is always a big deal to beat Linton.  The Sullivan Rivalry continued to produce great games and always some drama.  

LInton has been playing a little short-handed as well... 3 injuries...and of course the Quarantine issue.  But we get several of those back this week.  Not the injured guys...but in each case they should be back before season's end.  The good thing is the guys who stepped up to play the last two weeks have certainly shown their worth!   Boonville by looking at their roster...  really had a turnover of players this year.  By my count 20 seniors and another 17 who did not come back.  Now... most of those were players who didn't really contribute varsity wise.  Loosing Mockobee was the big one.   But they moved the returning QB to a WB and have Conner at QB. Return a couple of O linemen.. but a lot of these guys who didn't start last year, got a lot of playing time.  I don't see Linton looking past them... we have a lot of seniors this year... and I know they are a focused bunch.  I'm hoping that we can continue showing the pass as a weapon... 4 passing TD's last week.  

If you really watch the NV game... that was a bit of a "trap" game performance.  We didn't really play well... forgot the score and watch for the little things... it was not our best.  Not a shock, but hopefully it was the hiccup after 3 solid games to open.

I don't think this group will look past Boonville.  With only a couple seniors last year... most of the guys playing this year were contributing in our close loss at Boonville.  I'd say they would like to make a statement.  We will also be a little closer to full strength.  As for the matchup, they bring a couple stud athletes every year.  Bottling up their RB last year was a chore and great experience... the year before they brought 2 stud lineman.  

Park Heritage will be solid with Johnson at QB next year... I'm sure they will spread it out and throw.  That will be good for our schedule next year.  It gives us a look we don't see as often.  Christian is a stud athlete at the QB spot, so he will provide some challenges.  I think his favorite targets are graduating.... but if there is any level of talent around him... it could be a really good game for week 1.  Who knows for the years after.

12 minutes ago, Greene County Coach said:

If you really watch the NV game... that was a bit of a "trap" game performance.  We didn't really play well... forgot the score and watch for the little things... it was not our best.  Not a shock, but hopefully it was the hiccup after 3 solid games to open.

I don't think this group will look past Boonville.  With only a couple seniors last year... most of the guys playing this year were contributing in our close loss at Boonville.  I'd say they would like to make a statement.  We will also be a little closer to full strength.  As for the matchup, they bring a couple stud athletes every year.  Bottling up their RB last year was a chore and great experience... the year before they brought 2 stud lineman.  

Park Heritage will be solid with Johnson at QB next year... I'm sure they will spread it out and throw.  That will be good for our schedule next year.  It gives us a look we don't see as often.  Christian is a stud athlete at the QB spot, so he will provide some challenges.  I think his favorite targets are graduating.... but if there is any level of talent around him... it could be a really good game for week 1.  Who knows for the years after.

I have a flatus hoagie for you. The talk around the WRC is that it will be interesting to see who is still footballing for the Wolfs next year, players and coaches included. There is no doubt about this year though. They are the most dominant football team in the Wabash Vally.