Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral at Columbus North

10 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Played La Salle last year and in 07 at the Herbstreit Classic. Won both.

Edit: I see you said at LaSalle my apologies. 07 game was in Cincy but played at UC's Nipper Stadium.

Yeah, I meant at LaSalle.  The Irish have played LaSalle at Broad Ripple, at LaSalle, at Nippert and at Arlington.  All games have been classics.  

37-13 final. Bulldogs made it interesting there for a minute. Irish we’re up 17-0 early in the 2nd with blowout written all over it before CN recorded their first 1st down which also resulted in a TD on a 4th and long pass. From there, and stop me if you’ve heard this before, Cathedral sputtered multiple redzone opportunities due to lack of execution and penalties. 

Need to credit CN for hanging tough and making it a 4 quarter game. Most people, including myself, believed this would be a walkover and it certainly wasn’t after it appeared that way through the 1st quarter.

• Like 1

First of all this was the darkest playing field I've seen in my 66 years of watching Cathedral football.  It had to be tough to see on the field.

It was good to see the Irish running game get in gear.  The Irish ran for more than 250 yards, and Seth Mencer must've had 150 of those yards.  Also sophomore Hosia Smith gave the Irish a late boost running the ball and scoring his first varsity TD.  Hats off to the OL for opening those holes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I failed to mention that the Columbus North Bull Dog band put on a very impressive halftime performance.  

I wish the band and the football team the best the rest of the season.  A lot of grit on the blue side tonight.

Did you have anytime to get anything good to eat? Yes, the CN band is always top notch. That’s a very proud band program/family. 

Just now, Olympian06 said:

Did you have anytime to get anything good to eat? Yes, the CN band is always top notch. That’s a very proud band program/family. 

We arrived late.  My buddy still has a full time job so we wait for him.  I've had friends down there and visited some very good establishments in the past.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

First of all this was the darkest playing field I've seen in my 66 years of watching Cathedral football.  It had to be tough to see on the field.

It was good to see the Irish running game get in gear.  The Irish ran for more than 250 yards, and Seth Mencer must've had 150 of those yards.  Also sophomore Hosia Smith gave the Irish a late boost running the ball and scoring his first varsity TD.  Hats off to the OL for opening those holes.

I thought the same thing.  I have never seen a field so dark. Don't forget about Junior #21 with 50 yards on 7 carries.  He hits the hole faster than any back on Cathedra's team

Good game, agree give Columbus North credit more than was due, and realizing they have played a murderous schedule (#1 Gibson Southern in 3A, #1 Rocalli in 4A, and now #1 Cathedral in 5A) they obviously played with nothing to lose and everything to gain and good luck to them down the stretch as this will help them more than will hurt them.

Watching their band perform at halftime was in itself worth the trip down from Indy. 

I can't believe we had two dropped punt returns by our returners that resulted in fumbles which North recovered.  Top  teams in the state DO NOT DO THAT.  One was even called a fair catch and he still dropped it, which is very troubling as we are mid-season making mistakes that we should not be making.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Good game, agree give Columbus North credit more than was due, and realizing they have played a murderous schedule (#1 Gibson Southern in 3A, #1 Rocalli in 4A, and now #1 Cathedral in 5A) they obviously played with nothing to lose and everything to gain and good luck to them down the stretch as this will help them more than will hurt them.

Watching their band perform at halftime was in itself worth the trip down from Indy. 

I can't believe we had two dropped punt returns by our returners that resulted in fumbles which North recovered.  Top  teams in the state DO NOT DO THAT.  One was even called a fair catch and he still dropped it, which is very troubling as we are mid-season making mistakes that we should not be making.

Agreed on the dropped punts....not acceptable.  Mistakes need to be cleaned up immediately.  

I feel bad for Michael Page.  Sometimes it's just hard to catch a punt and he's had a tough time two weeks in a row now.  It's evident he's sure handed because he's an outstanding pass receiver.  I'm sure that will be addressed and it will no longer be a problem.  

I hope someone can post the freshman and jv scores here sometime soon.

Edited by PHJIrish

25 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I was surprised that CN only had about 55 players on their roster.  Maybe that's the reason for the JV situation, maybe not enough players for JV.

55 players and not enough for a JV? That doesn't sound like a valid reason. 

On 9/18/2021 at 10:58 AM, Dave007 said:

So is it fair to say that the same line that Eric Moore keeps trotting out also applies to Cathedral?

”The only people that can beat us is ourselves.”

Do 5A teams have to rely on a 2 hour out of body experience to have a shot at Cathedral in the tournament?

On 9/19/2021 at 4:47 PM, temptation said:

So is it fair to say that the same line that Eric Moore keeps trotting out also applies to Cathedral?

”The only people that can beat us is ourselves.”

Do 5A teams have to rely on a 2 hour out of body experience to have a shot at Cathedral in the tournament?

You seem to forget that 2020 was Cathedral's first trip downtown during Thanksgiving weekend since 2014.  Things happen in football, especially high school football, and sometimes it ain't all good.  Cathedral lost a sectional game, while highly favored, to Roncalli when the Irish fumbled the ball 6 times, all by seniors.  It's never a given.  And teams can play "up" on a given night.  Too many examples of that to list here.

Also you seem to forget that it was Bobby Cox himself who put Cathedral in 5A when they should have been in 4A.

Edited by PHJIrish
added line

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

You seem to forget that 2020 was Cathedral's first trip downtown during Thanksgiving weekend since 2014.  Things happen in football, especially high school football, and sometimes it ain't all good.  Cathedral lost a sectional game, while highly favored, to Roncalli when the Irish fumbled the ball 6 times, all by seniors.  It's never a given.  And teams can play "up" on a given night.  Too many examples of that to list here.

Also you seem to forget that it was Bobby Cox himself who put Cathedral in 5A when they should have been in 4A.

But the 2020 & 2021 Irish are so far above the rest of 5A. There is a reason the casual observer is looking to week #9 (CG vs Cathedral) and not week 10 and beyond.