Head Coach Openings 2024 ×

Clay Helton fired…finally

Footballking16

Feels like this should have been done 2-3 years ago but here we are. Outside Bama, I think this is the best job in the country. Beautiful location, fertile recruiting grounds, storied history, etc…for the life of me I can’t understand why this is so hard for them to get right.

Job should attract plenty of suitors, interesting to see how committed the USC administration really is, I’ve heard they’ve been penny pinching for sometime.

Just now, Footballking16 said:

Feels like this should have been done 2-3 years ago but here we are. Outside Bama, I think this is the best job in the country. Beautiful location, fertile recruiting grounds, storied history, etc…for the life of me I can’t understand why this is so hard for them to get right.

Job should attract plenty of suitors, interesting to see how committed the USC administration really is, I’ve heard they’ve been penny pinching for sometime.

I just posted at the same time in the college football season topic. Funny reading the comments. Urban Meyer’s name comes up a lot. Not that he would leave at this point, but bad timing on the part of USC. Had they made this move when they should have, they could have at least been able to talk to Urban. While it should attract some attention, not sure who would follow through. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I just posted at the same time in the college football season topic. Funny reading the comments. Urban Meyer’s name comes up a lot. Not that he would leave at this point, but bad timing on the part of USC. Had they made this move when they should have, they could have at least been able to talk to Urban. While it should attract some attention, not sure who would follow through. 

I’ve heard Urban coveted that job on his most recent “retirement” but the school chancellor wanted nothing to do with Urban  so long as she was there given the issues he had at Florida and Ohio State.

Luke Fickell and Matt Campbell I would think are obvious choices. Both can flat out coach football. Feel like James Franklin’s name has been mentioned the last 2-3 years as well. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see them make a run at Kiffin again. I know it sounds crazy but Kiffin is a ton more mature now than he was in his mid-30’s when he took that job the first go around, not to mention in less than desirable circumstances given the fallout from Reggie Bush.

17 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I read Clay Helton's tweet following the firing and it was full of class and gratitude.  I hear he is a man of great character.  But this would make it more digestable for me if I were in that position......

https://247sports.com/Article/Clay-Helton-USC-football-buyout-cost-sizable-after-firing-170906658/

Seems like a lot of pennies......

• Like 1

Anyone hear about this interesting story at the Naval Academy?  After their loss to Air Force in a rivalry game, the AD went around the head coach and fired the offensive coordinator?  That seems strange.  I guess they did bring back the coach but only as a QB coach and not the O coordinator.  The head coach and AD clearly not at the same place.  Guessing the days of Coach Niumatalolo are limited for Navy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/09/13/ivin-jasper-navy-fired-reinstated/

Can anyone else remember the AD of a program firing assistants without the support and involvement of the head coach?

23 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Anyone hear about this interesting story at the Naval Academy?  After their loss to Air Force in a rivalry game, the AD went around the head coach and fired the offensive coordinator?  That seems strange.  I guess they did bring back the coach but only as a QB coach and not the O coordinator.  The head coach and AD clearly not at the same place.  Guessing the days of Coach Niumatalolo are limited for Navy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/09/13/ivin-jasper-navy-fired-reinstated/

Can anyone else remember the AD of a program firing assistants without the support and involvement of the head coach?

18 hours ago, Irishman said:

Interesting names. My guess would be with the names mentioned that the places where they currently reside might look to renew/upgrade current contracts. 

I'll do it.  Mt cousin is a SC alum--so I do have a tie in.

Whispers of James Franklin being interested as well though I’ll believe it when I see it.  PSU has a monster class coming in next year.

Seems his name always seems to come up…and then he ironically gets a pay raise immediately thereafter.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Whispers of James Franklin being interested as well though I’ll believe it when I see it.  PSU has a monster class coming in next year.

Seems his name always seems to come up…and then he ironically gets a pay raise immediately thereafter.

ESPN thinks Eric Bieniemy (KC Chiefs OC) and Iowa State’s Matt Campbell could work.  I saw why not hire Coastal Carolina’s coach?  If he fails, SC would fire him just like that so he can make his way back to the Grand Strand…

On 9/15/2021 at 10:32 PM, Gipper said:

ESPN thinks Eric Bieniemy (KC Chiefs OC) and Iowa State’s Matt Campbell could work.  I saw why not hire Coastal Carolina’s coach?  If he fails, SC would fire him just like that so he can make his way back to the Grand Strand…

I was listening to a college podcast on the way to work this morning that mentioned Bieniemy and Joe Brady as 2 NFL guys that USC has to contact just to see if they're interested. Regarding Campbell and Fickell, the host believed both were too "milk toast" for LA, which I  could see. Historically, 2 of their most recent successfull hires were from the NFL (Robsinson & Carroll) . The glitz, glamour, and NFL legends surrounding the program may be too much for a career College coach to handle. They should take another look at Kiffin as well. He's more suited for the job than his 1st go around in LA. Maybe he views the bridge as burnt, but I can't imagine he wants to stay in Oxford long term. 

Edited by Boilernation

34 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I was listening to a college podcast on the way to work this morning that mentioned Bieniemy and Joe Brady as 2 NFL guys that USC has to contact just to see if they're interested. Regarding Campbell and Fickell, the host believed both were too "milk toast" for LA, which I  could see. Historically, 2 of their most recent successfull hires were from the NFL (Robsinson & Carroll) . The glitz, glamour, and NFL legends surrounding the program may be too much for a career College coach to handle. They should take another look at Kiffin as well. He's more suited for the job than his 1st go around in LA. Maybe he views the bridge as burnt, but I can't imagine he wants to stay in Oxford long term. 

I do believe Campbell is far too milquetoast for USC and the PAC-12 as a whole.  As for Fickell, again, not the guy.  USC needs to hit a home run (pardon the pun) with this hire.