Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A #1 Roncalli vs 3A #1 Brebeuf

2 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Next Friday looks like there will be a good one on the south side. 

is it as simple as Roncalli Offense vs Brebeuf Defense?

I’m not sure this is that close (and I am really hoping this isn’t coming from some latent “sour grapes” on my part).

Brebeuf is good (I literally think Top 15 good) but I think Roncalli is a Top 6 team…and that gulf is significant.

I do very much think that 3A is between Brebeuf, Gibson Southern and, maybe, West Lafayette with a fairly pronounced gap thereafter (with any of those 3 teams also being a Top 4A contender for second place on down….if they were in 4A).  

In 4A though, this year (hoping next year is different), it’s Roncalli - then everybody else.

8 minutes ago, southend said:

Big rivalries are tough thing to measure, talent aside. 

Unfortunately….not that big of a rivalry historically.   Roncalli’s historic rivalries have been with Cathedral (up until about 10 yrs ago when the series was discontinued) and Chatard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

I’m not sure this is that close (and I am really hoping this isn’t coming from some latent “sour grapes” on my part).

Brebeuf is good (I literally think Top 15 good) but I think Roncalli is a Top 6 team…and that gulf is significant.

I do very much think that 3A is between Brebeuf, Gibson Southern and, maybe, West Lafayette with a fairly pronounced gap thereafter (with any of those 3 teams also being a Top 4A contender for second place on down….if they were in 4A).  

In 4A though, this year (hoping next year is different), it’s Roncalli - then everybody else.

But, in your opinion since both had similar results against Chatard (just looking at the final scores) shouldn’t this be a competitive game?

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Not to say, though, it won’t become one over time.  Brebeuf has very much Improved its game these last 12 years and the new shared CCC conference will add to that.

IMHO, anytime Catholic schools play each other there's a sense of rivalry.  

2 hours ago, temptation said:

But, in your opinion since both had similar results against Chatard (just looking at the final scores) shouldn’t this be a competitive game?

I get that and don’t disagree but Chatard had 4 (maybe 5 turnovers) against Brebeuf.  I don’t see Roncalli making those mistakes against Brebeuf.   

To be clear, I don’t want to downplay Brebeuf, they are solid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, temptation said:

I watched both games and I thought Chatard made a lot of mistakes against Brebeuf.  I actually thought they out played them in the first half, but mistakes kept it 7-6 Braves. 

Chatard played much better against Roncalli and did not make those same mistakes.  Still down 21-7 at half.  I guess you could say they out played Roncalli in the second half.  

Roncalli's OL is the major strength of the Royals.  

OT - 6'5 300
OG - 6'4 346
C - 6'7 295
OG - 6'3 300
OT - 6'7 290

However, they are nursing some injuries on the OL and a couple of regulars did not play against Guerin Catholic.  Roncalli has several weapons on offense but their pass defense needs to improve.  Brebeuf has a very good QB, a pretty good RB and two excellent receivers.  If the Royals can contain Strickland, it could be a high scoring shootout! 

1 hour ago, FCGriz said:

OT - 6'5 300
OG - 6'4 346
C - 6'7 295
OG - 6'3 300
OT - 6'7 290

However, they are nursing some injuries on the OL and a couple of regulars did not play against Guerin Catholic.  Roncalli has several weapons on offense but their pass defense needs to improve.  Brebeuf has a very good QB, a pretty good RB and two excellent receivers.  If the Royals can contain Strickland, it could be a high scoring shootout! 

I bet they eat a lot of fish during lints. You HAVE to eat fish during lints, STATE LAW!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

I bet they eat a lot of fish during lints. You HAVE to eat fish during lints, STATE LAW!

Yes, I am sure that they eat lots of fish during LENT.  I know they eat a lot of pasta each Thursday night at the home of one of the Royals' D-lineman.  BTW, the two down linemen on the defensive side of the ball are 6'4 270 and 6'1 280!  

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

God Roncalli’s O-line is massive, looks like a small college line 

Yes, and they all have D1 offers.

12 hours ago, FCGriz said:

OT - 6'5 300
OG - 6'4 346
C - 6'7 295
OG - 6'3 300
OT - 6'7 290

12 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

God Roncalli’s O-line is massive, looks like a small college line 

Small college line?! That's easily a MAC size line or more! 😲😆

35 minutes ago, temptation said:

I’m excited for this one.  If Brebeuf can keep it within single digits I firmly believe it cements them as the 3A favorite.

If they can do that, I would certainly agree but I likely feel the same even if they can only keep it within 2, maybe 3, TDs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

Harrell has Roncalli in this game 31-28.

Thoughts?

Roncalli has had some trouble in the last two years defending the pass.  BJ has a really nice receiver.   

A lot are talking about Strickland and line vs Roncalli line.  May be the other side of the ball that makes the difference. 

will be interesting to see if Roncalli passing game makes the difference.  Roncalli is known for the run, but they have been getting some big plays throwing the ball too.