Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6th Week in the N.I.C. - Divisions become leaders become clearer?

NP coaching staff must lurk on the GID. Multiple users complained about the lack diversity in their offensive schemes and not getting most of their athletes involved. And what do they do? Mix up the looks like they haven't all season which triggered a South Bend Tribune article titled "Cougars spread the wealth in 35-0 win".

Good bounce back win for the Cougs. Unless Penn can stop Marian it looks like the Knights are gonna take the division crown as Elkhart and St. Joe  haven't shown that they are capable of stopping Marian. 

2 minutes ago, npcougar15 said:

NP coaching staff must lurk on the GID. Multiple users complained about the lack diversity in their offensive schemes and not getting most of their athletes involved. And what do they do? Mix up the looks like they haven't all season which triggered a South Bend Tribune article titled "Cougars spread the wealth in 35-0 win".

Good bounce back win for the Cougs. Unless Penn can stop Marian it looks like the Knights are gonna take the division crown as Elkhart and St. Joe  haven't shown that they are capable of stopping Marian. 

Not so fast my friend.

6 minutes ago, johnny U said:

Big       game this Friday @ Otolski Field between Marian/Penn.  The winner of this game is certainly in the driver seat to win the big school division.  Was Elkhart just a 

"one hit wonder" last year

I wouldn't say one hit wonder, and I think it's very early to make that type of assessment of the Elkhart program. There was at least a small but vocal voice in this forum that took Elkhart's success as a sign that it had emerged as this dominant force in Northern Indiana football. I think many of the same structural forces that hamstring Penn or any other of the larger schools outside of Indy affect Elkhart and will continue to affect that program.

I was able to get back to town for the previous two games (St. X and Elkhart) and here are some takeaways. In the same way that St. X was from a different planet than Penn--100 man roster with just two Sophomores on it, a defense of mobile six-footers, dynamic game changers, etc.--Penn is and is likely to continue to be a lesser version of that when compared to Elkhart. I don't know anyone of great significance was out for Elkhart, but they had about a 65-75 man roster while Penn still keeps about 100 guys on the "varsity" roster. That makes a difference. Both teams struggled in special teams play--Elkhart was poor in a number of these aspects, but I've also never seen such poor long snapping for Penn--and neither side had reliable quarterback play in the passing game. 

The ingredients for sustained, consistent programmatic success are there for Elkhart, and it is unfair to expect that program to emerge fully formed after last season alone. However, I have also been critical of the NIC and the impact that the conference has on both of these programs especially when you look at competition at freshman and junior varsity levels. Objectively speaking, the size disparity between the members of the big school division effectively puts a cap on the development of non-varsity players at the larger schools. 

On 9/19/2021 at 12:01 PM, PDB26 said:

I wouldn't say one hit wonder, and I think it's very early to make that type of assessment of the Elkhart program. There was at least a small but vocal voice in this forum that took Elkhart's success as a sign that it had emerged as this dominant force in Northern Indiana football. I think many of the same structural forces that hamstring Penn or any other of the larger schools outside of Indy affect Elkhart and will continue to affect that program.

I was able to get back to town for the previous two games (St. X and Elkhart) and here are some takeaways. In the same way that St. X was from a different planet than Penn--100 man roster with just two Sophomores on it, a defense of mobile six-footers, dynamic game changers, etc.--Penn is and is likely to continue to be a lesser version of that when compared to Elkhart. I don't know anyone of great significance was out for Elkhart, but they had about a 65-75 man roster while Penn still keeps about 100 guys on the "varsity" roster. That makes a difference. Both teams struggled in special teams play--Elkhart was poor in a number of these aspects, but I've also never seen such poor long snapping for Penn--and neither side had reliable quarterback play in the passing game. 

The ingredients for sustained, consistent programmatic success are there for Elkhart, and it is unfair to expect that program to emerge fully formed after last season alone. However, I have also been critical of the NIC and the impact that the conference has on both of these programs especially when you look at competition at freshman and junior varsity levels. Objectively speaking, the size disparity between the members of the big school division effectively puts a cap on the development of non-varsity players at the larger schools. 

When you say "I don't know of anyone of great significance as out for Elkhart"....they had 20 players out with injuries (many of the season-ending variety), including arguably their three best players. They are significantly depleted. However, you are correct saying there really wasn't a phase of the game that Elkhart played well that night

On 9/19/2021 at 9:35 AM, ASJCPUMA said:

Friday, Sep. 24

Jimtown at Clay ©, 7 pm

Glenn at Bremen ©, 7 pm

New Prairie at Adams ©, 7:30 pm

Penn at Marian ©, 7 pm

St. Joseph at Elkhart ©, 7 pm

Washington at Riley ©, 7 pm

Jimtown HUGE

Bremen is more physical than the falcons.  Bremen by 14

Adam squeeks this one out with their speed

Marian dominates Penn

Elkhart by 6

Washington by 12

On 9/19/2021 at 9:35 AM, ASJCPUMA said:

Friday, Sep. 24

Jimtown at Clay ©, 7 pm

Glenn at Bremen ©, 7 pm

New Prairie at Adams ©, 7:30 pm

Penn at Marian ©, 7 pm

St. Joseph at Elkhart ©, 7 pm

Washington at Riley ©, 7 pm

Clay doesn’t score; Jimtown picks the score

Glenn by 7

New Prairie by 14

Marian in a close one

Elkhart by two scores

Washington would win but Covid prevented this matchup. 

I see Jimtown easy

Like Glenn with their QB

NP seems to have more O

based on results Marian has more athletes than Penn it appears but Penn's 1st 4 were so stiff does that cloud the situation?  Outcomes say Marian but instinct says do not be surprised if Penn grinds it out

Elkhart - based on their athletes only