Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

Recommended Posts

WEEEK 6 is here.. lets talk about it.

Seeger @ FC --> After Seeger's 50-30 win last week over the Trojan, it seems they are becoming a force to be reckoned with. I apologize for counting the herbivores out so early. FC is coming off a stomping of possibly the worst team in the state. I take Seeger here and it's not close. 48-12.

Cloverdale @ RP --> I thought RP would be more competitive than they were last week. What happened? I heard many turnovers, and big plays were the separator. I'm going to take them this week over a not so great Cloverdale team. 32-16.

NV @ Attica --> It looks like NV was able to actually get some stops last week. Defense will continue to be the separator because they can put points on the board. I saw the Tryon kid had a kickoff return, reception td, fumble recovery td, and rushing td. If this game gets played it will be NV by however many they want. 

Covington @ South Newton --> After going winless for a few years, South Newton is 3-2. I don't see a 4-2 in their future this week though. The herbivores took the Trojan out pretty handily last week, so expect them to come out firing this week. I say Covington 52-13.

PH @ SV --> PH last a close one last week. I stopped seeing updates on Johnson at QB near half. What was his injury? Looks like the Wolves still scored some without him at QB, and made it a game. The Cats are sitting at 2-3 right now. They played very competitively again a good Sullivan football team. What's the state record for scoring in a single football game with both teams? I venture to say this game could rival that score. If Johnson is out I may take the Cats, if Johnson is in I take the Wolves. This is definitely game of the week. Final prediction.. 62-60 WOLVES

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seeger 50, FC 12.  Herbie and the Pats are starting to roll.

RP 40, Cloverdale 6.  RP will play this week not as pretenders.

NV 48, Attica 0.  Isn’t it about time for Attica to get Covid again?

Wolfs 108, D1’s 102.  A shootout for the ages.  High powered offenses.  Below average defenses.  Balls flying everywhere.  Inflatable helmets.  Wolf howls.  Visors.  This game has it all.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seeger @ FC - I was at the Seeger Covington game last week and Seeger was up 28 - 8 at the end of the first quarter. The running back from Seeger #41 looked like the real deal against that horrible Covington defense. The winner of this game would take second place in the WRC... as of now... I'm taking the Patriots and I don't think it will even be close. Seeger 48 FC 13

Cloverdale @ RP - All I know is that Cloverdale is 0-4 and RP is 1-3 with the only win against a bad Attica team. RP wins 36 - 12

NV @ Attica - NV will be .500 after this week.. If the Ramblers don't get covid again.. NV 45 Attica 6

Covington @ South Newton - Yes, South Newton is 3-2 but they have played some bad teams.. Covington takes their anger from last weeks loss out on the rebels and they may pass for 500 plus yards this week. Karrfalt is still the best player in the conference and he leads the Trojans past the Rebels 63 - 20  

Game of the Week

PH @ SV - Does Johnson play this week? I've heard that he is not playing this week.. If he doesn't play could be another long night for the Wolves. Who plays qb if he can't play? Do they maybe try and run the ball if he's out? I'd say probably not.... SV 54 PH 50...... unless Johnson plays then I'll take the Wolves 63 - 54

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SEEGER vs. FOUNTAIN CENTRAL - Looks like Coach King and the Patriots have figured out the recipe for success. Run the ball, score a lot more points than the other team and get stops on defense.  Too bad they couldn't do that when they played PH. FC did what they needed to do against Attica. (Despite, Donnie Baker's and I's differences) They will be overwhelmed by Seeger's running game. Seeger wins big. SEEGER 40 - FC 12

CLOVERDALE vs. RIVERTON PARKE - Really expected the Panthers to come out and show everybody they were better last week at NV. And up until Friday, the Falcons D was like swiss cheese. I fully expect RP to take their frustrations out on a Clovers team that is very young. Although, this game was pretty close last year. It is Homecoming at RP also. Should be a good night for them. RP 30 - CLOVERDALE 14

NORTH VERMILLION vs. ATTICA - The Falcons took advantage of several RP turnovers last week. It was definitely the difference in the game. I heard they even worked on their special teams and passing game some late in the game. So, hopefully all facets are still clicking against the Ramblers. NV 45 - ATTICA 6

COVINGTON vs. SOUTH NEWTON - I know little about the Rebels, but they seem to be having a better year. The Trojans took one on the chin last week. Literally. I did not see the Patriots thumping them so badly. Covington should win this game, but we'll see if they're getting ready for basketball season a little early or if they'll enjoy chucking it around the football field a little more. COVINGTON 40 - SN 28

PARKE HERITAGE vs. SOUTH VERMILLION - This one I had circled at the beginning of the season as the WRC Championship Part 2. However, both teams come stumbling into this one. The Wolfs have learned that beefing up the schedule can be tough. The Wildcats have still not learned it doesn't matter what the stats look like, it's the W's & L's. Defense helps too. I heard PH may be without the services of QB 1. That may hurt them. But they should still have better athletes than SV to win this game. Should. PH 42 - SV 41

Edited by Bear54
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Bear54 said:

NORTH VERMILLION vs. ATTICA - I heard they even worked on their special teams and passing game some late in the game. So, hopefully all facets are still clicking against the Ramblers. NV 45 - ATTICA 6

My friend Bear, I will give you a basket full of fart sandwiches if you will elaborate on this comment. How did the Falcons work on their passing game and special teams late in the game? Why would they need to throw the ball late in the game if they were winning by a large margin?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seeger

RP

NV. Closer than expected. That defense played well last week. BUT has still given up more than 200 points this year. Offense is no problem for this team. Maybe the QB situation has been handled in Cayuga. 

Covington. 

I like SV in this one. No love for the wolves coming from me.

Edited by Warfalcon2012
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tanka Jahari said:

My friend Bear, I will give you a basket full of fart sandwiches if you will elaborate on this comment. How did the Falcons work on their passing game and special teams late in the game? Why would they need to throw the ball late in the game if they were winning by a large margin?

Ah, Tanka, nothing gets past you... However, the questions you ask shouldn't be directed towards me. I just heard there may have been some special kick practice and route running by the Falcons after they were up handily over the Panthers. Maybe they wanted to get to the running clock and were in a hurry to get to the after-game Homecoming activities? Maybe not. Perhaps some of the Panther or Falcon faithful can answer that for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

2 hours ago, Bear54 said:

Ah, Tanka, nothing gets past you... However, the questions you ask shouldn't be directed towards me. I just heard there may have been some special kick practice and route running by the Falcons after they were up handily over the Panthers. Maybe they wanted to get to the running clock and were in a hurry to get to the after-game Homecoming activities? Maybe not. Perhaps some of the Panther or Falcon faithful can answer that for you. 

Aren’t the Falcons known for never kicking it deep? Makes sense to not kick it deep, don’t give the other team a chance to run it back, and get a chance of getting the ball every time. Win win. I saw the panthers kicked it deep the first possession and it got returned. I can’t speak about the passing game as I wasn’t there, and the Falcons haven’t put stats on max preps as of yet. I’m sure there’s a reason for everything 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Bear54 said:

Ah, Tanka, nothing gets past you... However, the questions you ask shouldn't be directed towards me. I just heard there may have been some special kick practice and route running by the Falcons after they were up handily over the Panthers. Maybe they wanted to get to the running clock and were in a hurry to get to the after-game Homecoming activities? Maybe not. Perhaps some of the Panther or Falcon faithful can answer that for you. 

Good morning Bear! I was able to talk to my sources in Newport about the pass you referenced and the "special kick practice"! I will refrain from posting what I was told because it's not a good look for the Panthers at all, even though its a very familiar one. If what I was told was true, RP should be thankful the Falcon JV was put in to play the entire 4th qtr. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Marshall Mathers said:


 

Aren’t the Falcons known for never kicking it deep? Makes sense to not kick it deep, don’t give the other team a chance to run it back, and get a chance of getting the ball every time. Win win. I saw the panthers kicked it deep the first possession and it got returned. I can’t speak about the passing game as I wasn’t there, and the Falcons haven’t put stats on max preps as of yet. I’m sure there’s a reason for everything 

I was not at this game but heard that the Falcons were throwing the ball all over the place late in the game up 30 plus points and then were kicking onsiders after that.. Not sure how true that is but that doesn't sit well with people when you're up 30 plus...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Good morning Bear! I was able to talk to my sources in Newport about the pass you referenced and the "special kick practice"! I will refrain from posting what I was told because it's not a good look for the Panthers at all, even though its a very familiar one. If what I was told was true, RP should be thankful the Falcon JV was put in to play the entire 4th qtr. 

Ah, same old WRC. The good teams make the weak teams look like trash to justify their questionable, sometimes DB-ish coaching decisions. What happened to win with class?

 

11 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

Attica has a roster of 21 and dressed  15 last Friday.

Time for the bullshit cheap shots to stop. 

Agreed Donnie...  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, WRC123 said:

I was not at this game but heard that the Falcons were throwing the ball all over the place late in the game up 30 plus points and then were kicking onsiders after that.. Not sure how true that is but that doesn't sit well with people when you're up 30 plus...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont remember Crabtree ever intentionally running the score up on people. He's had his fair share of opportunities to put 100 on teams over the years. The coaching staff hasn't changed much in a few years right? If what Tanka said is true, and they had their JV in the whole 4th, why not practice throwing the ball some? If they were still throwing in the 3rd up 30, then so be it, they can't just sit and roll over so everyone feels better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, WRC123 said:

I was not at this game but heard that the Falcons were throwing the ball all over the place late in the game up 30 plus points and then were kicking onsiders after that.. Not sure how true that is but that doesn't sit well with people when you're up 30 plus...

The JV was probably throwing the ball all over the varsity lol. Let’s be honest here. Crabtree could have put 100 on any team he wanted to a few years back. Don’t think he’s starting that trend this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I have a serious question. Should we change the mercy rule to 30 points instead of 35? Maybe 28 points? What is an acceptable number to make the losing team feel better about the running clock? 

 

1 hour ago, Warfalcon2012 said:

The JV was probably throwing the ball all over the varsity lol. Let’s be honest here. Crabtree could have put 100 on any team he wanted to a few years back. Don’t think he’s starting that trend this year. 

Don't shoot the messenger here... I'm just saying what I was told.. I know NV has never kicked it deep and I have been a fan of it. I remember the days when NV would score 50 on teams in a quarter and the JV would be playing the second quarter. Never would accuse Crabtree and co of running the score up on anyone.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who cares about what happened to the RP Pretenders in their game with the Falconmart?  The Pretenders are used to getting kicked a lot worse than that, so I say water under the bridge and move on.

 

Let’s talk about a way better game on the horizon:  the D1’s hosting the Wolfs!  I’ve heard it’s visor night and the first 500 paying fans in attendance will receive a replica visor?  Talk about a matchup!  D1’s average 43 a game and give up 42 a game.  Thank goodness they got to play against Marshall’s jv and not Northview or that average could be reaching the half-century mark!   The Wolfs score it at 33 a game and give up 27 a game.  I would suggest that anyone that likes defense need not attend this epic battle Friday in Clinton.  I’m still sticking to my prediction.  Let’s put the total at 205 and see what kind of action we can get.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

Who cares about what happened to the RP Pretenders in their game with the Falconmart?  The Pretenders are used to getting kicked a lot worse than that, so I say water under the bridge and move on.

 

Let’s talk about a way better game on the horizon:  the D1’s hosting the Wolfs!  I’ve heard it’s visor night and the first 500 paying fans in attendance will receive a replica visor?  Talk about a matchup!  D1’s average 43 a game and give up 42 a game.  Thank goodness they got to play against Marshall’s jv and not Northview or that average could be reaching the half-century mark!   The Wolfs score it at 33 a game and give up 27 a game.  I would suggest that anyone that likes defense need not attend this epic battle Friday in Clinton.  I’m still sticking to my prediction.  Let’s put the total at 205 and see what kind of action we can get.  

I was just thinking to myself that the Wolfs are probably glad that anything is being discussed besides Wolfs football. It is kind of nutz that they are one last minute touchdown away from being 2-3 at this point. I thought they made a great move raiding talent from Terre Haute and Brazil. That's how the game is played these days. More than one of my PH sources couldn't stop gushing about the talented class they had just signed, but when I ask those same sources how its going now...well, the gushing has turned into grumbling. There does seem to be more excitement about Wolfs basketball than usual for this time of year.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

Attica has a roster of 21 and dressed  15 last Friday.

Time for the bullshit cheap shots to stop. 

Agreed. When Turkey Run was fighting to keep their program alive, the posts were about how proud we all were of the kids giving it their best. If you look at enrollment and roster, playing the games right now is a win. County officials and School Board gave them no help by going the route with most quarantine risk. (Not a statement about masks or COVID, just risk management on athletes staying in school to be eligible.)  

Cheap shots take no guts.  Most every program in the conference have had their lean years too. Current players practice hard and do their best, respect them for loving the game enough to come out.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RamblerFB said:

Agreed. When Turkey Run was fighting to keep their program alive, the posts were about how proud we all were of the kids giving it their best. If you look at enrollment and roster, playing the games right now is a win. County officials and School Board gave them no help by going the route with most quarantine risk. (Not a statement about masks or COVID, just risk management on athletes staying in school to be eligible.)  

Cheap shots take no guts.  Most every program in the conference have had their lean years too. Current players practice hard and do their best, respect them for loving the game enough to come out.

Nothing but respect for Attica Coaches and players doing their best to keep their football program alive. Also, the way they play, they don’t look like a team that dressed 15. Their level of play is much better. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the Wolves go down this Friday, the train would be derailed. We would then get a excellent football game the following Friday when PH travels to Gibson Field. I remember NV beating a very good FC team in 2016 at home. They ran out the play clock and kept getting first down after first down. It was mentally defeating for the mustangs watching the play clock dwindle snap after snap… Who knows what Crabtree has dialed up. One week at a time as the old saying goes. Goodluck to all teams this week and stay healthy! ☘️☘️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Marshall Mathers said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont remember Crabtree ever intentionally running the score up on people. He's had his fair share of opportunities to put 100 on teams over the years. The coaching staff hasn't changed much in a few years right? If what Tanka said is true, and they had their JV in the whole 4th, why not practice throwing the ball some? If they were still throwing in the 3rd up 30, then so be it, they can't just sit and roll over so everyone feels better. 

I can remember Jacob Earls having 3-4 carries and being done for the night. Crab Trees might work the younger players but I don’t remember him ever running it up. 

2 hours ago, Warfalcon2012 said:

If the Wolves go down this Friday, the train would be derailed. We would then get a excellent football game the following Friday when PH travels to Gibson Field. I remember NV beating a very good FC team in 2016 at home. They ran out the play clock and kept getting first down after first down. It was mentally defeating for the mustangs watching the play clock dwindle snap after snap… Who knows what Crabtree has dialed up. One week at a time as the old saying goes. Goodluck to all teams this week and stay healthy! ☘️☘️

Best coaching job I’ve probably seen. I swear to God it was!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...