Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lay Coaches

There are a lot of open assistants jobs out there, so I was wondering...

Are more schools moving towards lay coaches as assistants?  (Especially with the the current state of teacher funding in this state. See the link below.)

I know schools are moving this way in other sports, but I find it difficult to comprehend.  I was an AD with all lay coaches and it was almost impossible to keep the coaches informed on different matters and the students grades/behaviors. Curious about input

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2019/04/02/the-evolution-of-u-s-teacher-salaries-in-the-21st-century-infographic/#3687036977f0

2 hours ago, Coach_K said:

There are a lot of open assistants jobs out there, so I was wondering...

Are more schools moving towards lay coaches as assistants?  (Especially with the the current state of teacher funding in this state. See the link below.)

I know schools are moving this way in other sports, but I find it difficult to comprehend.  I was an AD with all lay coaches and it was almost impossible to keep the coaches informed on different matters and the students grades/behaviors. Curious about input

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2019/04/02/the-evolution-of-u-s-teacher-salaries-in-the-21st-century-infographic/#3687036977f0

I was a lay HC, I took it upon myself to learn the rules, in fact my AD would often call me regarding by-law rules. As far as assistants, good luck. I tried to make sure mine were aware of what they needed to be aware of. In all honesty when you have people essentially working for peanuts if anything at all, just trying to help out, I understand the lack of said people to want invest more time in what seems like minutia. That said my AD always told me I was responsible for my assistants. 

I'm still heavily involved in softball which is full of lay coaches, and just getting them to respond to emails is more often than not frustrating. I feel your pain.

I feel like the number of assistant jobs posted on IFCA site are a reflection of there being a place to post assistant jobs. In the past most of the time, HC's recruited their area. Now Facebook and other sites allow for a much larger search area. Schools have always used lay coaches and will continue to because school faculties aren't comprised of coaches only. Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in coaching at Crawford County, let me know. I designed some sweet polos for next season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Lysander said:

Chatard's current Head Coach since 2017 has been a lay coach.

I am just curious if this is the route schools are going.  There might be a variety of reasons for it including teacher salary being so low, retired teachers who still want to coach, etc.  I know some coaches put in 15 years of teaching and coaching then resign from coaching but keep teaching thus having less teacher vacancies in traditional teaching areas, PE and Social Studies.  There are also coaches who were coaching 2 and 3 sports now coaching 1.  I am one of those guys.  I put in 7 years as a varsity track coach, 5 years as a middle school basketball coach, and am in my 10th season as a football coach.  In the schools I have been in lay coaches are an integral part of the entire athletic dept.'s coaching staff.  

Some schools simply place an importance on academics only over the guy/girl who can teach and coach.  Some schools are too small to field their entire coaching staff through teachers, while others can.  This has just been something I have been curious about for about 5 years and finally decided to ask. Feel free to share more insights.

• Like 1

First off to clarify,  in my experience lay coaches are still paid in most if not all situations. There is a difference between lay coach and volunteer coach.

Hiring a lay coach presents no monetary savings over a staff member.

In my experience it should always be a priority to hire teachers than can and will coach, the problem is in this day and age of overemphasis on test scores and requirements of teachers after normal working hours the time do everything and still coach is overwhelming.

Administrators are more focused on test scores and school grades and need to realize that not only do teachers who coach have better relationships with the students but have higher job satisfaction. 

6 hours ago, Coach_K said:

I am just curious if this is the route schools are going.  There might be a variety of reasons for it including teacher salary being so low, retired teachers who still want to coach, etc.  I know some coaches put in 15 years of teaching and coaching then resign from coaching but keep teaching thus having less teacher vacancies in traditional teaching areas, PE and Social Studies.  There are also coaches who were coaching 2 and 3 sports now coaching 1.  I am one of those guys.  I put in 7 years as a varsity track coach, 5 years as a middle school basketball coach, and am in my 10th season as a football coach.  In the schools I have been in lay coaches are an integral part of the entire athletic dept.'s coaching staff.  

Some schools simply place an importance on academics only over the guy/girl who can teach and coach.  Some schools are too small to field their entire coaching staff through teachers, while others can.  This has just been something I have been curious about for about 5 years and finally decided to ask. Feel free to share more insights.

I honestly don’t really have much insight.  Rob coached the Freshman team for many years at Chatard and was well thought of by all.  Coached both my kids at Freshman level.  He was a QB at Andrean and at Depauw.  Think he is in the Hall of Fame at both schools.  Today he is an attorney - actually moved his practice to north Indy in part to be closer to the school.