Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral vs. La Salle (Cincinnati) 10/01/2021

36 minutes ago, temptation said:

Wow, a stat lover's dream.

Would have never realized that Devonta Smith was a LaSalle alum.

The Devonta Smith that went to LaSalle is a Freshman DB at Alabama (He was part of the very good Defensive Secondary LaSalle had last year.. It is not the same Devonta Smith that is now a WR for the Philadelphia Eagles, he attended HS in Amite City Louisiana.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 1:40 PM, PHJIrish said:

1999 was the last time Cathedral played at LaSalle.  It was the night Otis Shannon rushed for 489 yards, and of course I was there.  One of my buddies decided to take his wife to watch the Tall Ships, on the Ohio River, at the last minute, and he missed the game.  Old George didn't miss another Cathedral football game until he passed away a few years back.  You just never know what your going to see!

Just learned from a '99 player that Cathedral had zero pass attempts in the 489yard Otis Shannon game. Makes sense, but wild stat. 

16 minutes ago, CLKeller16 said:

Does anyone know if this game is only being streamed on FloFootball, or is there somewhere else I can watch it for free? I'd really like to watch it but I can't personally justify paying $20 with the current state of my personal finances.

I believe it is like $12 to watch via livestream but you can listen to it on 1260am or iheart radio.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

The Devonta Smith that went to LaSalle is a Freshman DB at Alabama (He was part of the very good Defensive Secondary LaSalle had last year.. It is not the same Devonta Smith that is now a WR for the Philadelphia Eagles, he attended HS in Amite City Louisiana.

Ah, gotcha.

35-7. That was a beautiful game for the Irish. 33 rushes for 45 yards. Michael Page was 6-8 for 142 and 2 tuddies. Knocked out their #1 RB Indiana Commit in the 2nd. DannyO with two insane rolling passes. One was the best I've ever seen in high school. 

LaSalle had the most deplorable accommodations of an away game since Evansville Reisz 2007. No visitor parking of any kind. All paid reserved parking was for LaSalle boosters. It was a joke. Glad we beat their entitled asses. On to Brebeuf. One more W until the showdown. Trap game. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

35-7. That was a beautiful game for the Irish. 33 rushes for 45 yards. Michael Page was 6-8 for 142 and 2 tuddies. Knocked out their #1 RB Indiana Commit in the 2nd. DannyO with two insane rolling passes. One was the best I've ever seen in high school. 

LaSalle had the most deplorable accommodations of an away game since Evansville Reisz 2007. No visitor parking of any kind. All paid reserved parking was for LaSalle boosters. It was a joke. Glad we beat their entitled asses. On to Brebeuf. One more W until the showdown. Trap game. 

Oh just stop it.  Irish roll Brebeuf by 5 TDs…

2 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

We arrived late because of a flat tire on a rental car and they had us park at least a mile away on the street.  I asked the young man at the gate how many fans had entered the gates and he looked at his phone and said about 1100.  There should have been parking for everyone.  

The facility was very nice and the hospitality inside the stadium was good  The officiating was abysmal, and that's putting it mildly.

Nice win for the Irish!  More in the morning, it's time to get to bed.

9 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Just learned from a '99 player that Cathedral had zero pass attempts in the 489yard Otis Shannon game. Makes sense, but wild stat. 

I have a recording of that game.  I need to get it out and watch it again.  

LaSalle had the most deplorable accommodations of an away game since Evansville Reisz 2007. 

I’m curious what was so bad about the visitor accommodations at the Reitz Bowl.

I’ve never been to a cooler HS football stadium in the state.  To me, it’s like the Lambeau Field of Indiana HS football.

Granted, parking can be a problem with all the houses and streets (and hills!).  But the Bowl itself is iconic (I think this is its 100th anniversary).

I loved playing there back in my playing days.

Edited by MHSTigerFan

12 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

3 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I have a recording of that game.  I need to get it out and watch it again.  

It will be interesting to know what you see on that video. If my memory serves me correctly Shannon not only ran for a lot of yardage, but he had 500+ total yards including receiving. But that was 22 years ago so I can’t state that 100%. Wasn’t that the year they beat St. X at St. X for the first time after a couple years coming close?

4 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I’ve never been to a cooler HS football stadium in the state.  To me, it’s like the Lambeau Field of Indiana HS football.

Granted, parking can be a problem with all the houses and streets (and hills!).  But the Bowl itself is iconic (I think this is its 100th anniversary).

Reitz Bowl is a beautiful stadium and great place to watch a football game. I think the statement of visitor accommodations is only meant towards the parking. Some stadiums just  don't lend to great parking. 

One of my favorite places to watch a game from is The Pit at Elder. The parking situation is terrible though. It is the nature of the beast with its location smack in the middle of a neighborhood in Price Hill.

Edited by FastpacedO

5 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

It will be interesting to know what you see on that video. If my memory serves me correctly Shannon not only ran for a lot of yardage, but he had 500+ total yards including receiving. But that was 22 years ago so I can’t state that 100%. Wasn’t that the year they beat St. X at St. X for the first time after a couple years coming close?

The Irish were penalized quite a bit, iirc, and Otis would have had well over 500 yards.  I need to get out the video.  It's grainy without commentary, but it's always great to watch.

20 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

The Irish were penalized quite a bit, iirc, and Otis would have had well over 500 yards.  I need to get out the video.  It's grainy without commentary, but it's always great to watch.

Yes he would have had over 500 rushing yards without the penalties. Definitely keep me updated after you watch, because I am pretty sure (not 100%) Otis had 489 yards rushing on around 40 plus carries but had 500 plus total yards adding up his rushing and receiving yards. 

Cathedral played extremely well last night. My only concern was the number of injuries. 4 of the starting skill players are injured- both WRs Tibbs & Page, starting TE Spellacy and starting RB Mencer. On defense, Gilbert sat 2nd half with shoulder injury. Irish need to get healthy for Center Grove.

28 minutes ago, FootballQB1 said:

Cathedral played extremely well last night. My only concern was the number of injuries. 4 of the starting skill players are injured- both WRs Tibbs & Page, starting TE Spellacy and starting RB Mencer. On defense, Gilbert sat 2nd half with shoulder injury. Irish need to get healthy for Center Grove.

Thats not good...Had no idea those 4 skilled players got hurt.  I saw that 99 was sitting in the second half.  Hope the get healthy.

Irish take their first loss of the season. J/V loses 21-13 to St. X. A pick6 and a costly late first half fumble at the Irish 10 yard line were the difference. 

Irish Frosh 28 St. X 7 

Outstanding!!!

And Kendrick Gilbert did play a couple of series in the second half.  He had ice on his shoulder at the end of the game.  I sure hope all injuries were minor.

Irish take their first loss of the season. J/V loses 21-13 to St. X. A pick6 and a costly late first half fumble at the Irish 10 yard line were the difference. 

Irish Frosh 28 St. X 7 

That's the first football loss of the season.  The freshmen must be pretty good!

14 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I'm glad you enjoy it.

Josiah Smith. He's gonna be special. Heavyweight wrestler that can win it all too 😉 

Glad to hear that!  Sean will have him winning in no time.

It's amazing how many outstanding coaches the Irish have in all sports.  And not only outstanding teams and coaches, but teachers, administrators and leaders also!  We are blest!