Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A Looking Way Ahead - Brebeuf v Gibson Southern

This would be a very interesting matchup.

Here are my takeaways from the Brebeuf-Roncalli game:

1.  Brebeuf Jesuit (BJ) has a few very fast and talented WRs.  The Annee kid ran right by several Roncalli DBs.  They will be hard to cover.

2.  BJ QB has accuracy problems.  Under 50% for the game and under 60% for the season.  His WRs made several circus catches in the Roncalli game that bailed him out.

3.  BJ had problems in this game running the ball.  Also seem to be shakey running most of the season.

4.  DL is really tough.  Two All State kids, plus another 240lb DT that played will.  Looks like another decent kid.  They tried to go 4-3 to stop the run and went 3-4 in passing situations.

5.  DBs must of keyed on Roncalli's best receiver because he did not have a catch.  The DBs seem fast.  Their LBs move well to the ball.

Have not seen a full GS game.  They will have advantate at QB and I know they have a really good WR.

Can the OL hold up and how is there defense?  I know that teams that pass the ball well tend to play defense against the pass better because they see it in practice.

5 hours ago, fenderbender said:

This would be a very interesting matchup.

Here are my takeaways from the Brebeuf-Roncalli game:

1.  Brebeuf Jesuit (BJ) has a few very fast and talented WRs.  The Annee kid ran right by several Roncalli DBs.  They will be hard to cover.

2.  BJ QB has accuracy problems.  Under 50% for the game and under 60% for the season.  His WRs made several circus catches in the Roncalli game that bailed him out.

3.  BJ had problems in this game running the ball.  Also seem to be shakey running most of the season.

4.  DL is really tough.  Two All State kids, plus another 240lb DT that played will.  Looks like another decent kid.  They tried to go 4-3 to stop the run and went 3-4 in passing situations.

5.  DBs must of keyed on Roncalli's best receiver because he did not have a catch.  The DBs seem fast.  Their LBs move well to the ball.

Have not seen a full GS game.  They will have advantate at QB and I know they have a really good WR.

Can the OL hold up and how is there defense?  I know that teams that pass the ball well tend to play defense against the pass better because they see it in practice.

Chatard was dominate last year and got taken to the wire by both Concordia and Mishawaka Marian in the tournament.  BJ may be the favorite to represent the North but far from a lock.  Might not even make it out of 28.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

Chatard was dominate last year and got taken to the wire by both Concordia and Mishawaka Marian in the tournament.  BJ may be the favorite to represent the North but far from a lock.  Might not even make it out of 28.

Making it out of 28 is a challenge all by itself.  I could easily see West Lafayette coming out of the North.

I think WL is underrated, extremely good offense and a great defense. They have a well rounded player in Junior QB Max Mullins, who appears to be a stud, a long with defensive studs like Omonode and Barket. The team is pretty well rounded at Offense and defense

Edited by TigerFan20

4 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Too early.  We have a game to win this Friday night.

Ah yes.  The classic “fans need to focus on one game at a time approach” as if it impacts the way the actual team playing in this Friday’s contest will perform.

Its an internet message board dude.  

Nothing in here impacts the actual game.

Now I will let you get back to your preparation for Mt. Vernon.  Let us know how the film study goes.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 2

As a GS fan who has been on this forum since I was in high school at Gibson Southern over 10 years ago….I love this team but I can’t do this to myself again and look ahead 

GS has been a contender from the south every year since 2013…like every year…top 5 ranked and all…and we do this every year because we see the potential. 

I would love for GS to make it to LOS…especially since I’m traveling back to Indiana thanksgiving weekend….but let’s just take it a game at a time. 

Win Today! Never settle! I believe! 

6 hours ago, temptation said:

Ah yes.  The classic “fans need to focus on one game at a time approach” as if it impacts the way the actual team playing in this Friday’s contest will perform.

Now I will let you get back to your preparation for Mt. Vernon.  Let us know how the film study goes.

It’s not about impacting the team

it’s more about the fatigue of doing the same things over and over again for the past decade for GS.  If the team is good enough to make it there, they will be there….barring an ice storm and a trip to indy 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, temptation said:

I bet they play Madden endlessly also and speak confidently based on their experience hitting the sticks.

Not me. Tecmo Bowl all the way, baby. 

Singletary. Walt. Dent. McMichael. Cap Boso. True Tecmo fans know the MVP of that Bears team... and it isn't any of the first four names.

Plus, any more buttons than 'B' and 'A' make me choleric. Get off my lawn, random shapes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

As a GS fan who has been on this forum since I was in high school at Gibson Southern over 10 years ago….I love this team but I can’t do this to myself again and look ahead 

GS has been a contender from the south every year since 2013…like every year…top 5 ranked and all…and we do this every year because we see the potential. 

I would love for GS to make it to LOS…especially since I’m traveling back to Indiana thanksgiving weekend….but let’s just take it a game at a time. 

it’s more about the fatigue of doing the same things over and over again for the past decade for GS.  If the team is good enough to make it there, they will be there….barring an ice storm and a trip to indy 

The worst part is when you get there, you lose, and you had the better team.  Of the 7 times we have played Bishop Chatard we have won only 1 time, BUT there were 2 other times that we had the better team (yeah, I know not that night blah, blah).  That was disappointing.  In 2019 when they beat us, it was obvious they had the better team, they could have beat some small colleges.  But there were a couple times in the past....it was flat out maddening. 

If you get there. Win.  Especially if you face Brefeuf.  Beat the snot out of them.    

8 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Now THIS I get.  You are normal my friend.

7 hours ago, Esso Ayche said:

Singletary. Walt. Dent. McMichael. Cap Boso. True Tecmo fans know the MVP of that Bears team... and it isn't any of the first four names.

Plus, any more buttons than 'B' and 'A' make me choleric. Get off my lawn, random shapes.

Don’t forget to zig zag…and chip block Lawrence Taylor and Bruce Smith.

8 hours ago, Esso Ayche said:

Heh…..heh…..you DO know where Boso played in HS?

15 hours ago, temptation said:

We have been the second best team out of the south (or the best who had a heart breaker) too many times.  I prefer to not look ahead.  That said, you might be surprised at the proficiency of my film study......although I never seem to get an answer on my email suggestions to coach Hart, he is probably just busy.  

I can offer this video from our last game.  

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I have to admit, that weather was tailor made for a Lorenzano team.

….and they say God doesn’t play play favorites….

Hard to play favorites for that game….Our QB (Sellers) I believe spent the following 4 years becoming a priest.

It’s also no secret that despite being a public school, probably 60%+ of Gibson Southern is Catholic.  And another good % is some form of Christian.

it wouldn’t be the least bit surprising if in 20 years or so (assuming there is continued growth in the area like currently) if a private Catholic high school were to open up in like the Haubstadt area.  There might be enough people now between Ft branch and the north side of Evansville to make it happen. 

21 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

We have been the second best team out of the south (or the best who had a heart breaker) too many times.  I prefer to not look ahead.  That said, you might be surprised at the proficiency of my film study......although I never seem to get an answer on my email suggestions to coach Hart, he is probably just busy.  

Kinda surprising they're wearing their long johns already. Maybe they are, in fact, looking ahead to Semi-State.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

My favorite part is the 1:54 mark. 

I've watched my sons be both the kid in blue and the player on the field.  Something special about that.

PS - What's with the blue sweatshirt?  Has Memorial already started recruiting up there?? 😄

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Hard to play favorites for that game….Our QB (Sellers) I believe spent the following 4 years becoming a priest.

It’s also no secret that despite being a public school, probably 60%+ of Gibson Southern is Catholic.  And another good % is some form of Christian.

it wouldn’t be the least bit surprising if in 20 years or so (assuming there is continued growth in the area like currently) if a private Catholic high school were to open up in like the Haubstadt area.  There might be enough people now between Ft branch and the north side of Evansville to make it happen. 

A new Catholic HS would be an interesting development.   Back when I was in HS, most of the Haubstadt kids who went to Catholic HS went to Mater Dei.  MD has a lot of long time families from that northern Vanderburgh county corner.   

The diocese kind of already tried this once with Rex Mundi.  RM was a newer school, but most of the westside families were going to go to Reitz if they closed MD instead of RM.  They would probably have to put it very far North so it would not hurt the existing schools.  

1 hour ago, fenderbender said:

A new Catholic HS would be an interesting development.   

I say the chances of this happening in the next 50 years is less than 1/10 of 1%.   Memorial and Mater Dei are supported by a fairly large number of feeder school parishes and a few non-school parishes that all pay an assessment (tax) each year to help keep tuition as low as possible for Catholic families.  And even with that, tuition has increased significantly in recent years (by almost 100% over the past 8 years). There just aren't enough parishes in northern Vanderburgh County or southern Gibson County to support a third HS. I suspect if the diocese even announced they were considering building a third HS, there would be a lot of push-back. Parishes already complain about the current assessment, much less if they had to pay more to support a third school.  You also have to remember that unlike the Vatican, no diocese is sitting on a pot of gold (at least not the Evansville diocese).  It would take a significant amount of capital to build a new school, which could only come from private donations.  The Bishop would get an ear-full from the high-level Memorial and MD donors. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tango said:

I say the chances of this happening in the next 50 years is less than 1/10 of 1%.   Memorial and Mater Dei are supported by a fairly large number of feeder school parishes and a few non-school parishes that all pay an assessment (tax) each year to help keep tuition as low as possible for Catholic families.  And even with that, tuition has increased significantly in recent years (by almost 100% over the past 8 years). There just aren't enough parishes in northern Vanderburgh County or southern Gibson County to support a third HS. I suspect if the diocese even announced they were considering building a third HS, there would be a lot of push-back. Parishes already complain about the current assessment, much less if they had to pay more to support a third school.  You also have to remember that unlike the Vatican, no diocese is sitting on a pot of gold (at least not the Evansville diocese).  It would take a significant amount of capital to build a new school, which could only come from private donations.  The Bishop would get an ear-full from the high-level Memorial and MD donors. 

Oh absolutely.  I’m just saying it wouldn’t be surprising if it happened because of how many families in the area would be interested.

Gibson southern is rumored to be close enough to bump up to 4A on enrollment with how large the younger classes are…and you have north sitting right there.  

but it would take some multi million donation from someone who wants to see this happen anytime soon