Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Merrillville (6-0) at Valparaiso (6-0) 10-1-21

17 minutes ago, DACNUT said:

This Valpo team does not have any D1 talent like that 2001 team did, heck even last years team had more individual talent. This group is solid and their program is to a point where they just reload now. 

I don’t think Coach Marshall gets enough credit for what he’s done with that program, especially when you consider the circumstances under which he got the job.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I don’t think Coach Marshall gets enough credit for what he’s done with that program, especially when you consider the circumstances under which he got the job.

Agreed. Go from one of the oddest hires I've ever seen to a coach who can take them to Indy in November and whose early returns show he bas the potential to be better than Hoffman.

For those asking about the live video stream, Porter County TV has it listed on their You Tube page. 

14 hours ago, temptation said:

Sorry but I’m gonna call BS on this edition of Valpo rivaling the 2001 Vikings.

They played BD fairly respectable in that state title game in 2001 and were probably a top 5 outfit in the state, maybe even better.

This edition of Valpo is easily top 15 regardless of class, MAYBE top 10 with a win tomorrow night.

That BD team finished in the top 20 in the country that year and is often forgotten about as one of the great BD squads. Tom Allen's defense was brutal and James Banks on offense was sensational. As memory serves, it was still a game in the fourth quarter.

18 hours ago, temptation said:

That being said, another blowout loss to a 6A power (Brownsburg) tomorrow night might give me more pause.

I don't know. I think I would still have Zionsville as the favorite. The HCC is such a strong conference that it's hard for me to knock Zionsville for getting handled by a Brownsburg, Westfield, or Hamilton Southeastern. I wish Noblesville was still in Sectional 3. Would have been interesting to see how they faired against the Fort Wayne schools and/or Warsaw.

11 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

That BD team finished in the top 20 in the country that year and is often forgotten about as one of the great BD squads. Tom Allen's defense was brutal and James Banks on offense was sensational. As memory serves, it was still a game in the fourth quarter.

It was. Banks was the difference maker though. I think he had 2 INT's as well. Did he normally play defense or was he just used because of the threat of Samardzija?

1 minute ago, Boilernation said:

It was. Banks was the difference maker though. I think he had 2 INT's as well. Did he normally play defense or was he just used because of the threat of Samardzija?

James was Mr. Football at DB and QB. Yes. He played defense. He also punted his jr. year.

• Thanks 1

This will be a fun matchup.   I don't really care or let alone know if the Viking, Pirates, or even Brickies, Devils, or 59ers can hang with the juggernauts of metropolitan Indianapolis football.  Who really cares?  This game is about tonight and tonight only.  Not November..

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 2:04 PM, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

I give Zionsville no chance , It's hard to gauge Snider . They have one quality win (Homestead). They narrowly escaped a team that is 1-5 and their other wins were against teams 1-5 records . I would say anything can happen in the playoffs , but I Think Valpo will be playing Cathedral . This Valpo team looks as good as the Jeff Samardzija teams . 

Thud.

On 9/29/2021 at 9:14 PM, temptation said:

Taking NOTHING away from Valpo as I think they can make a deep 5A run but if Merrillville wants anyone to take them seriously as a threat to represent the north in 6A, they not only need to win this contest, but do so convincingly.

I have mentioned before that I love fresh blood at Lucas Oil and without a dog in the fight think it’d be pretty damn cool to see both Merrillville AND Valpo make the trip down I-65 on Thanksgiving weekend.

Mission accomplished for the Pirates.

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

Dominating win for the Pirates. The balance they have on offense is hard to contain. Defense dominated tonight as well. Maybe this is the year they can make a run to LOS. Still think Valpo is a threat in 5A.

A threat to the North in 5A correct… not a threat to Cathedral in the slightest.. 

9 minutes ago, Sports Freak20 said:

Agreed.  I honestly think Cathedral would be Valpo by 5 touchdowns

That would be the halftime score. Taking nothing away from Valpo, they've put together one heck of a program comprised of kids from their community. 

• Like 1

After seeing what Merrillville has done the past few weeks, against Valpo last night with strong program and coaching and Michigan City who has comparable if not better athletes, Merrilliville is big and strong enough, athletic enough, and now well coached to play with anyone. I cannot wait to see them finally smash through the semi-state wall. To have a running clock against Valpo on Valpos home field, WOW!!

On 9/30/2021 at 12:00 PM, MICFan34 said:

For you Region fans, what makes you think that a DAC team would beat CG or Cathedral, when other loaded 6A teams haven't beaten those two programs in 1.5 years? If other elite Indy area programs can't beat CG or Cathedral, I have a hard time believing a DAC team could do it. 

I think they're referring to getting out of Semi-State.