Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Scores and Updates for Week 7 - 2021 | Post 'Em 🏈🏈🏈

12 minutes ago, ptr said:

Well, it's been awhile since I was on the Ben Davis campus and that was back when they were still in Conference Indiana, and were hosting Bloom South both in football and basketball, so neighborhoods can sure change in that amount of time. 

I read in one post that fans at BD games have to go through metal detectors to be admitted.  How sad is that!

1 minute ago, WestfieldRocks said:

I read in one post that fans at BD games have to go through metal detectors to be admitted.  How sad is that!

There are other local schools that have done that.

17 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

This may speed up the exit strategy for Carmel and CG leaving the MIC. 

I'm in favor of it.

Back to the scores, Westfield with a strong second half blows out Avon 45-24.  Avon took an early 3-0 lead before the Rocks scored back to back TDs to make it 14-3. Avon scored it's first TD, then Westfield answered to make it 21-10. Avon scored just before halftime to make it 21-17. Westfield countered early 3rd qtr. with a FG to make it 24-17, but Avon immediately answered to tie it up at 24 each, early second half. Then maybe the play of the game. Westfield ran the Avon kickoff back for a TD. A defensive stop by the Rocks, and Hauser runs 50 yards on two plays for another TD. 38-24.  Westfield gets a turnover on an INT, drives on in for the final score early in the 4th qtr. Reserves played the remainder of the game. Final Westfield 45, Avon 24.  

17 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Justin Marshall takes the wildcat snap and goes about 60 yards to the house. 2pt good. 

42-7 Merrillville

1:21 3Q

Can they not kick PAT’s? I noticed in last weeks box score they were converting 2 PT conversions when the game was out of hand.

8 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Can they not kick PAT’s? I noticed in last weeks box score they were converting 2 PT conversions when the game was out of hand.

Sitting in the Merrillville stands, apparently the kicker is hurt. That’s why the QB is doing the kickoffs too. 

Edited by scarab527

51 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Justin Marshall takes the wildcat snap and goes about 60 yards to the house. 2pt good. 

42-7 Merrillville

1:21 3Q

So much for a fun one.  Are the Pirates ready for CG?  Possibly, but let’s see how the do with the likes of Lafayette Jeff and Penn or Elkhart first.  Is Valpo’s season over?  Clearly not, as this is just one game.

5 minutes ago, Gipper said:

So much for a fun one.  Are the Pirates ready for CG?  Possibly, but let’s see how the do with the likes of Lafayette Jeff and Penn or Elkhart first.  Is Valpo’s season over?  Clearly not, as this is just one game.

No, on both questions IMO.  Merrillville is not ready for CG but should cruise to what just became a much more intriguing semi-state matchup with Westfield.

Valpo remains as good as anybody in 5A north also.  They just ran into a team with a chip on their shoulder tonight.

I was damn impressed with the Pirates.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I’m fairy certain Merrillville would throttle Jeff and Elkhart if they were to play those teams. CG is on another level. No one is going to touch them. Valpo had a lot of uncharacteristic penalties and turnovers, they will be fine. They have a cupcake sectional and will likely get a rematch with Michigan City or maybe Mishawaka in the regional. They’re very well positioned for an extended post season run. 

17 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

I’m fairy certain Merrillville would throttle Jeff and Elkhart if they were to play those teams. CG is on another level. No one is going to touch them. Valpo had a lot of uncharacteristic penalties and turnovers, they will be fine. They have a cupcake sectional and will likely get a rematch with Michigan City or maybe Mishawaka in the regional. They’re very well positioned for an extended post season run. 

It will be interesting to see what shakes out.  Jeff beat Richmond 70-0 tonight and I think Elkhart is having a down year.  The Fort Wayne schools should not be overlooked either.  I also think the Vikings will bounce back.

7 hours ago, ptr said:

Well, it's been awhile since I was on the Ben Davis campus and that was back when they were still in Conference Indiana, and were hosting Bloom South both in football and basketball, so neighborhoods can sure change in that amount of time. 

Just a heads-up but Ben Davis was never in Conference Indiana. Conference Indiana started up in 1996, which is the same year the MIC began, and Ben Davis is a founding member of the MIC.

6 hours ago, Gipper said:

It will be interesting to see what shakes out.  Jeff beat Richmond 70-0 tonight and I think Elkhart is having a down year.  The Fort Wayne schools should not be overlooked either.  I also think the Vikings will bounce back.

I think Dwenger or Snider will be on good shape to give Valpo a challenge, if they advance in regional. Snider is really starting to play well, will see how well, next two games against Dwenger and Luers. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, temptation said:

No, on both questions IMO.  Merrillville is not ready for CG but should cruise to what just became a much more intriguing semi-state matchup with Westfield.

Valpo remains as good as anybody in 5A north also.  They just ran into a team with a chip on their shoulder tonight.

I was damn impressed with the Pirates.

Center Grove and Cathedral are in a league of their own. The Irish embarrassed one of the better teams in Ohio last night on their home field. That being said, no one in 6a is ready for CG. In fact, CG even being in the playoffs takes the excitement out of it. The game to anticipate will be Merrillville vs Westfield given that Westfield gets past Sectional 3.........about 4:1 odds to do so. 

I agree that Valpo's season isn't over by a long shot. Again, it's all about second place. There is no excitement with regard to Cathedral. The big question is who will come out of 5a north. I like Zionsville, Snider, and Valpo as the favorites.........probably in that order. Dwenger proved last night that they can't be counted out either. They had the #2 team in the entire state of Indiana playing catchup the whole second half :).

2 hours ago, psaboy said:

I think Dwenger or Snider will be on good shape to give Valpo a challenge, if they advance in regional. Snider is really starting to play well, will see how well, next two games against Dwenger and Luers. 

I like it, it’s good to see football north of US 30 re-emerge.

12 hours ago, Gipper said:

Jeff beating Richmond 70-0 isn't that much of an indicator.  The past seasons Jeff's beat Richmond 77-6, 54-12, 44-6, and 63-6.  In those four seasons.  Richmond finished those seasons, respectively, 1-8, 4-6, 2-9, 0-10.

Richmond, currently at 1-6, lost to Muncie Central 16-8 and Muncie Central lost to Anderson 36-0 and Tech 56-28.  Jeff's biggest win to-date would probably be the win over Kokomo 34-14.  Will have a better feel for that after next week when Kokomo faces Harrison.  At 6-1, Kokomo's defining win is either 28-14 over 4A Western or, perhaps, last nights 28-14 win over 4A Logansport.  My gut says Western is probably the more signature of those wins, although from a conference perspective, the Logansport victory is more important to Kokomo who needs to beat Harrison next week to force a three-way tie between Harrison, Jeff, and Kokomo for 1st place in the NCC.

9 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Just a heads-up but Ben Davis was never in Conference Indiana. Conference Indiana started up in 1996, which is the same year the MIC began, and Ben Davis is a founding member of the MIC.

Yes, my memory was extremely faulty on that, and I was thinking of Pike on the CI thing, although I have been to the Ben Davis campus some time ago for both football and basketball games but it was many moons ago.

Edited by ptr
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ptr said:

Yes, my memory was extremely faulty on that, and I was thinking of Pike on the CI thing, although I have been to the Ben Davis campus some time ago for both football and basketball games but it was many moons ago.

Ben Davis opened the season with Bloomington South back in 1995 and 1996. They also met in semi-state from 1997-1999. Maybe that’s where the confusion came from.

• Like 1