Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lawrenceburg v Rushville

19 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

You are not the ultimate to make these kind of decisions.  That's why there are two head coaches!  Rules were bent last night at LaSalle.  Lots of things went "undetected."  The game belongs to the teams, and not always the rule book.  At least that's the way I see it.  No one was harmed by what happened  at Arlington last week, and maybe someone was spared an injury.

I have no problem with any way you want to write the Mercy Rule. Start it anytime you want. Let the coaches agree to anything they want. Use whatever point differential you want. But that’s not what the rule says now, and the officials who allowed that to happen were wrong, because the rule, as written, does not permit it. There’s no discretion or judgment involved. This interpretation of the timing rule comes straight from the IHSAA. We now have a Mercy Rule. It’s the only way the timing rules can be varied. Officials are not empowered to disregard the rules just because, in this case, everyone was OK with them doing so.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, jets said:

This whole situation is despicable and everyone at Lawerenceburg should be ashamed. Bottom line. 

Also the Rushville admin and school board as well. They need to provide a better situation to allow their athletes to compete. Shameful to set your student athletes to fail like that.

35 minutes ago, MarkCalaway said:

Why are we condemning Lawrenceburg when the parents of the Rushville kids should be ashamed? They are the ones with the poor genetics that reproduced failures. 

Hats off to Lawrenceburg for putting up a dominate performance. 

What in the world are you talking about?  Why are the parents to blame for anything?  This is totally disgusting and idiotic!  

The situation and its' outcome is firmly planted upon the coaches and administrators that THOSE VERY SAME parents have entrusted their children with to learn an Educational Based athletic event.  

A 90-0 game at halftime is nothing to be puffing your chest out about.  It is something to decide if anything is to be gained from the completion of an additional 24 minutes of competition. 

IMO, a competition that has been totally decided at that point.   

4 minutes ago, MarkCalaway said:

Simple, they have zero self awareness about their own short comings.  Those "parents" are 100% to blame. 

I will respect the GID, and legacy that Tim Adams has given to this board.  I am refraining from any further retort to your comments!  

11 hours ago, sr1 said:

Fil
Lawrenceburg 70 14 0 7 91
Rushville 0 0 0 12 12

How bout 70 in the first quarter and another 14 in the 2nd?

The score by quarters that I posted here was copied from Maxpreps. It was not right. Lawrenceburg only scored 49 in the first quarter, and were up 84-0 at halftime.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I have no problem with any way you want to write the Mercy Rule. Start it anytime you want. Let the coaches agree to anything they want. Use whatever point differential you want. But that’s not what the rule says now, and the officials who allowed that to happen were wrong, because the rule, as written, does not permit it. There’s no discretion or judgment involved. This interpretation of the timing rule comes straight from the IHSAA. We now have a Mercy Rule. It’s the only way the timing rules can be varied. Officials are not empowered to disregard the rules just because, in this case, everyone was OK with them doing so.

So the safety of the players isn't uppermost for officials?  Do I understand that correctly?  I don't think you understand the differential between Morton and Cathedral.  I understand your adherence to the "book" but some circumstances should transcend the book.  I don't write rules but I have a strong feeling that they aren't written in stone either.

14 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

So the safety of the players isn't uppermost for officials?  Do I understand that correctly?  I don't think you understand the differential between Morton and Cathedral.  I understand your adherence to the "book" but some circumstances should transcend the book.  I don't write rules but I have a strong feeling that they aren't written in stone either.

I understand what you’re saying. The remedy is to petition the IHSAA to change the rule. Simply put, game officials are not at liberty to disregard the rules, no matter how much we don’t like the rule. That’s way too slippery a slope.

And the way to prevent this is don’t schedule an obviously non-competitive game and then expect the officials to bail you out.

• Like 2

Rushville should have never taken the field for this game. Everyone wants to point the finger at Lawrenceburg. I remember a few years ago when New Pal and Shelbyville came to an agreement not to play that game. Same can be said for this game. Anyone involved in this game knew the outcome before the game was even played. Both schools are at fault for what occurred, point blank. 

1 hour ago, Yuccaguy said:

What in the world are you talking about?  Why are the parents to blame for anything?  This is totally disgusting and idiotic!  

The situation and its' outcome is firmly planted upon the coaches and administrators that THOSE VERY SAME parents have entrusted their children with to learn an Educational Based athletic event.  

A 90-0 game at halftime is nothing to be puffing your chest out about.  It is something to decide if anything is to be gained from the completion of an additional 24 minutes of competition. 

IMO, a competition that has been totally decided at that point.   

The additional 24 teaches you about as much as the first 24.. The game shouldn’t have been played. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I understand what you’re saying. The remedy is to petition the IHSAA to change the rule. Simply put, game officials are not at liberty to disregard the rules, no matter how much we don’t like the rule. That’s way too slippery a slope.

And the way to prevent this is don’t schedule an obviously non-competitive game and then expect the officials to bail you out.

I agree 100%.  You can't ignore the rule book. 1st this rule then the next.  When does it end?  The kids have to want to win the coaches can't do it for them.  It starts with pre season workouts (how many kids from Rushville show up)?  How many are in the weight room.  FOotball is not just a Friday night sport. You need commitment year round. 

1 hour ago, MarkCalaway said:

Simple, they have zero self awareness about their own short comings.  Those "parents" are 100% to blame. 

Not 100% to blame. The kids have to want to play. BUT I'm sure they are babied and it's never their fault they lose...it's everyone else...coaches, AD, bus driver, anyone but them. 

17 minutes ago, Cow Bell said:

Not 100% to blame. The kids have to want to play. BUT I'm sure they are babied and it's never their fault they lose...it's everyone else...coaches, AD, bus driver, anyone but them. 

Agree to disagree.  The "parents" of the Rushville kids never should have had them.   They will be a drain on society for years to come. 

• Haha 2

Some stats....
No starter played more than 29 plays

Technically cant play JV game cause JV started playing in 2nd quarter

21 points...no defesne ever came on field

Rushville punter at 6 yards kicked into hands 

Fumbled kick off.

Last pass for TD was a bubble pass...

17 hours ago, Bobref said:

The new Hammond Morton coach wants to rebuild or build the team's future.  It's his choice to schedule whom he wishes.  And non conference Cathedral is always looking for game.

16 hours ago, Cow Bell said:

Some stats....
No starter played more than 29 plays

Technically cant play JV game cause JV started playing in 2nd quarter

21 points...no defesne ever came on field

Rushville punter at 6 yards kicked into hands 

Fumbled kick off.

Last pass for TD was a bubble pass...

Some additional facts that Cow Bell didn’t include.  I was at the game Friday night. 

When it was 77-0 with 1:30 to go in 1st half and Lburg got the ball back after another Rushville fumble, they could have knelt on it and went to half up 77.  First play, they rolled QB out and threw back across field for a screen play, which went for TD butwas called back due to penalty.  Lburg scored next play.  
2nd half, Lburg did continue to throw the ball with their younger players and did go for it on multiple fourth downs. 
I would call those three things over the top and more than trying to just get the game over. I will leave everyone else to judge that with their own opinion. That is Coach Knigga’s decision to make and he has built a hell of a program. Honestly, the score could have been worse and it could have been managed to be a little bit more eye appealing to people, but the game was never going to be close. I actually expected a score of around 70-0. 
With that said, you won’t hear much crying from this poster. It’s our job to get better at Rushville.  We are in the cusp of a rebuild that will take multiple years.  We have a new young coach willing to work hard.  New weight room opened 3 years ago and he has best numbers in weight room we have seen in years and the progression in the last 12 months in there has been astronomical. JV has won 2 games for first time in several years as well. 7th grade team is very competitive. Varsity was dealt a tough blow in week 1 when 3 year starting QB and 3 year staring center were lost for the season with injuries. Friday night they played without I believe 5 additional starters including leading rusher and best defensive player. 
Could it have been handed better? Definitely.  But there was no reason to not play the game.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

The new Hammond Morton coach wants to rebuild or build the team's future.  It's his choice to schedule whom he wishes.  And non conference Cathedral is always looking for game.

Just because you “can” doesn’t mean you “should.”

2 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

I know for an absolute fact that the IHSAA has said you can start the running clock prior to the start of the 2nd half….if both sides agree to it.  

NO you DON'T!!!   And if you do.  Please tell the public WHO the IHSAA individual was?  

36 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

NO you DON'T!!!   And if you do.  Please tell the public WHO the IHSAA individual was?  

Pretty sure that exact topic was discussed at state AD’s conference last weekend and it came straight from the horse’s mouth.  I will check with my AD buddies, but I know that’s what they told me.  

Edited by wrcsage
  • Disdain 1