Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lawrenceburg v Rushville

35 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

I know for an absolute fact that the IHSAA has said you can start the running clock prior to the start of the 2nd half….if both sides agree to it.  

There is only one person (2, I guess, if you count the Commissioner, who has ultimate authority) at the IHSAA with the authority to offer an official interpretation of the National Federation football rules, and that is Asst. Commissioner Robert Faulkens. He has told me personally, face to face, unambiguously, that since the implementation of the Mercy Rule, that is the exclusive manner in which timing rules may be altered. The whole idea was to take the “coaches’ agreement” out of it.

There, I named my source. You name yours.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

Pretty sure that exact topic was discussed at state AD’s conference last weekend and it came straight from the horse’s mouth.  I will check with my AD buddies, but I know that’s what they told me.  

Doesn’t matter, This game should have never been played. Was a waste of time for both schools and anyone involved knew the outcome of this.. This game could have been 180-0 if Lawrenceburg wanted it to happen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

Pretty sure that exact topic was discussed at state AD’s conference last weekend and it came straight from the horse’s mouth.  I will check with my AD buddies, but I know that’s what they told me.  

Lies, Damn Lies....The Truth (aka: the RULES)

So a cousin of a cousin, of an In-Law is your reference?   How's about an IHSAA Commissioner or otherwise?

For those who have never seen it, here is the complete text of the Mercy Rule, which went into effect April 29, 2019:

IHSAA Football Mercy Rule
  The Indiana High School Athletic Association in cooperation with the Indiana Football Coaches Association have created a protocol to expedite the conclusion of football contests when the point differential between schools reaches a particular threshold. These measures are placed to promote proper sportsmanship between member schools and potentially reduce the chances of injury to student athletes when mismatches between teams occur.

Rules and Procedures
1. Beginning with the second half of any high school football game, when the point differential between teams is at or reaches 35 points, the game clock shall convert to a running clock. A running clock is defined as a clock that does not stop during play with the exception of timeouts, scores and/or injuries.
2. Once the running clock is implemented, the clock may not revert back to standard timing protocols regardless of the score of the contest.
3. The 40 second play clock shall remain in effect throughout the contest.
4. Coaches do not have the ability to override the implementation of the Mercy Rule during a contest. The Referee shall notify the head coach of each school when the Mercy Rule goes into effect. The home team is responsible for notifying timing personnel of the running clock.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wrcsage said:

I know for an absolute fact that the IHSAA has said you can start the running clock prior to the start of the 2nd half….if both sides agree to it.  

Coaches do not have the ability to override the implementation of the Mercy Rule during a contest. The Referee shall notify the head coach of each school when the Mercy Rule goes into effect. The home team is responsible for notifying timing personnel of the running clock.

I am patiently waiting on your OFFICIAL reference of who(m) told you that the clock could run in the 1st half?  

28 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Coaches do not have the ability to override the implementation of the Mercy Rule during a contest. The Referee shall notify the head coach of each school when the Mercy Rule goes into effect. The home team is responsible for notifying timing personnel of the running clock.

I am patiently waiting on your OFFICIAL reference of who(m) told you that the clock could run in the 1st half?  

I’m done…you all are obviously way smarter and more in the know than me. 

30 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

I realized that as soon as YOU posted your ignorance!  

You know, I have decided I won’t give up quite that easy.  Go to the link below and start the video at 1:02:30 and get back to me.

• Like 6

You know, I have decided I won’t give up quite that easy.  Go to the link below and start the video at 1:02:30 and get back to me.

Well done @wrcsage...I respect Yuccaguy and Bobref for what they do BUT I too knew that was possible all along but had no idea how to get that link to video. And as far as what the rule states that Boref provided in regards the coaches can't "override the implementation of the rule" that's in reference to the coaches not being able to keep it from happening. For example if both coaches said, 'no, we'll just play with normal clock' THAT can not happen under any circumstances...but if BOTH coaches agree the clock can be adjusted if it's deemed necessary.

Again, respect you guys for what you do but you were both wrong on this one...and it's ok, we are all human...

You too BobRef…respect the heck out of you, but I have to do it…told ya so…and I used your source!

Well, I guess they decided if they're gonna let coaches overturn calls from the sideline, they'll let 'em overturn the rules too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wrcsage said:

Thanks for providing that. I will get to the bottom of this inconsistency and report back. Obviously, with the number of games in which the Mercy Rule is involved, there needs to be consistency on this issue.

It would be nice to know if there was a backstory to this.  Back in 2000 when we beat Pike Central 90 - 0,  Bob Clayton had a discussion with PC coach concerning running clock, and backups, etc.....PC coach said no to all and instead said, "I want your best", to which Coach Clayton said, "no you don't".  To his surprise the next thing Jay Cutler hears is 1st team defense--get in there.  

There could be more to the story, but 90 points is stupid.  Put the girls soccer team in.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:02 AM, Lysander said:

Where’s Muda when we really need him?

I was camping this past weekend and only read about this abomination yesterday evening.

What I find interesting regarding the events of Friday Oct. 1, 2021 at Rushville High School and the events of Friday Oct. 17, 2008 at Clinton Prairie High School (96-0, never forget) is the attitude of many on this forum.  There appears to be real condemnation regarding Lawrenceburg High School and it's coaches actions/decisions in the game against Rushville, with seeming concern regarding the physical safety of the Lions players in this contest.   While back in 2008 the overwhelming responses were "So?  Clinton Prairie sucks.  Get better or get used to it."

My, how the times having changed.  Are the GID cognoscenti going soft?

Edited by Muda69

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Are the GID cognoscenti going soft?

Dunno, I need to ask my emotional support pony….if I could just muster the courage to leave my safe space.  Micro aggressions are flying far and fast out there.

Here is what I believe is the flaw in the video....The Mercy Rule was just a proposal at that point. There was consideration given to what it would look like, including having coaches agree to things outside what is written. So, what was said in the video as a proposal did not make it into the actual rule or by law. 

• Disdain 1

10 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Here is what I believe is the flaw in the video....The Mercy Rule was just a proposal at that point. There was consideration given to what it would look like, including having coaches agree to things outside what is written. So, what was said in the video as a proposal did not make it into the actual rule or by law. 

The video is from this year.  Brian Lewis is sitting in on it, and he just was hired at the IHSAA.

Also, they are talking about shortening the game.  That is what the rules allow.  Not running the clock.  If both coaches agree to shorten the remaining periods to 5 minutes, THAT is the rule interpretation.  Not a running clock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1