Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional Draws

It is almost that time again. Sectional pairings will happen next Sunday 10/10. Always an exciting time to be a fan of High School football in Indiana. Predictions? Thoughts? Which teams are peaking at the right time? Potential good matchups? Lets hear it!

41 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

It is almost that time again. Sectional pairings will happen next Sunday 10/10. Always an exciting time to be a fan of High School football in Indiana. Predictions? Thoughts? Which teams are peaking at the right time? Potential good matchups? Lets hear it!

Jasper vs Memorial in Sectional 24

Maybe Bloomington South vs Castle in sectional 16 

Linton vs Mater Dei in Sectional 40 

Edited by TigerFan20

LCC vs. Seeger in Sectional 37.  Despite hailing from Lafayette, LCC was placed in 2A South due to their 2A Success Factor movement.  LCC and Seeger last met in 1A back in 2006 when the Brian Moore-led Patriots beat the Knights in the second game of sectionals 30-22.  Shortly after, Seeger grew into 2A. 

If LCC makes it out of Sectional 37, potential match-ups with ghosts of football seasons past could see LCC squaring off against against former 1A foes, Eastern Hancock and LOS opponent, Scecina, and 2A former regular season opponent, Heritage Christian.  If the stars align correctly, there could be a re-match of LCC-Linton who last met in 1A at LOS in 2015.  With that conjectured, there's PLENTY more football and LOTS of star-aligning that has to take place for these to happen.

4 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Brebeuf and West Lafayette in Sectional 28 would be a great one.

A total shame they can get paired so early 

That always ends up in the Sectional of Death.  The only thing missing this season is that Chatard's sitting up in 4A this season

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

I predict screwgies (as always) in the 1st round that are basically Sectional Finals to start off the playoffs.  

We need SEEDING!!!  

Always is. As a follower of 6A and 5a football mainly, I miss the days of 8 team sectionals. The draw was always so exciting to see. Always had chances of new matchups and different schools traveling to different places. You just don't get that anymore. It is the same teams and same sectionals year in and year ou.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Always is. As a follower of 6A and 5a football mainly, I miss the days of 8 team sectionals. The draw was always so exciting to see. Always had chances of new matchups and different schools traveling to different places. You just don't get that anymore. It is the same teams and same sectionals year in and year ou.

Agreed. At least in 6A North, there can be at least some intrigue. Who wins Sectional 4 (HSE, Westfield, Fishers, Noblesville) and Sectional 3 (Warsaw, Homestead, Carroll)? 

Sectional 1 & 2 have heavy favorites with Merrillville & Chesterton, but maybe Penn & Laf Jeff can cause a massive upset? 

South 6A is so predictable & boring. There's two sectionals with two-team races: Sectional 5: Carmel & Bburg & Sectional 7: LN & WC. BD & CG will easily win their sectionals.  

We will have the seeding debate and the all in vs Ohio playoff method debate as well. My answers are all in tournament and either seed it all or seed the top 4 teams in 8 team Sectionals and top 2 in 4 team Sectionals with random draw of which non-seeded team they face. Of course that leads to neutral site regional and semi states debate. I like the idea of neutral site, but it's not a deal breaker that they aren't. 

Short answer: maybe more discussion on here again!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MICFan34 said:

Agreed. At least in 6A North, there can be at least some intrigue. Who wins Sectional 4 (HSE, Westfield, Fishers, Noblesville) and Sectional 3 (Warsaw, Homestead, Carroll)? 

Sectional 1 & 2 have heavy favorites with Merrillville & Chesterton, but maybe Penn & Laf Jeff can cause a massive upset? 

South 6A is so predictable & boring. There's two sectionals with two-team races: Sectional 5: Carmel & Bburg & Sectional 7: LN & WC. BD & CG will easily win their sectionals.  

Sectional 4 is Westfields to lose. I give the Rocks 2:1 odds. Can't sleep on HSE though or they will take it. 

Sectional 3 should be Carroll. Homestead will give them another war. Warsaw's coaches are smart enough to pull another upset. 

Then it's being back to predictable when 4 faces 3. I always give 3 the benefit of the doubt and I always turn out wrong 

5 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

As a Snider fan, I am also sick of our Sectionals just being "SAC Regular Season 2.0" ever since 2013. We get no out of conference play until Week 13, which is absolutely atrocious. SAC needs broken up into East/West or North/South divisions, 5 teams to each. Play 4 games against all other teams in your division, 2 each of cross divisional games and out of conference, and save week 9 for championship week, where each team plays the team from the other division with the same ranking.

Then, rather than seeding each class and then basing sectionals off of those seedings, I have a different idea that would preserve the excitement of sectional drawings: at sectionals drawings, instead of telling each sectional which teams are playing each other, randomly pair teams from one half of the state together into sectionals, then seed those sectionals based off of who is in them. It would be wildly chaotic, but would mostly eliminate the issue of teams seeing the same competition in sectionals that they do in the regular season. It would be possible to have Indy teams and South Bend teams in the same sectional, or Fort Wayne teams and West Lafayette teams. There could be a sectional with the top teams in the class. Smaller teams could actually have a chance to build momentum and even make it to a State Championship game. I know a lot of people would be opposed to it, but I can't think of a more exciting way to do things.

Edited by CLKeller16
Spelling
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, CLKeller16 said:

As a Snider fan, I am also sick of our Sectionals just being "SAC Regular Season 2.0" ever since 2013. We get no out of conference play until Week 13, which is absolutely atrocious. SAC needs broken up into East/West or North/South divisions, 5 teams to each. Play 4 games against all other teams in your division, 2 each of cross divisional games and out of conference, and save week 9 for championship week, where each team plays the team from the other division with the same ranking.

Makes far too much sense.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CLKeller16 said:

This is what the Hoosier Conference looks like.  Gives each team a chance to schedule a couple of outside games, rivalry games, etc.

On 10/3/2021 at 12:39 PM, foxbat said:

LCC vs. Seeger in Sectional 37.  Despite hailing from Lafayette, LCC was placed in 2A South due to their 2A Success Factor movement.  LCC and Seeger last met in 1A back in 2006 when the Brian Moore-led Patriots beat the Knights in the second game of sectionals 30-22.  Shortly after, Seeger grew into 2A. 

If LCC makes it out of Sectional 37, potential match-ups with ghosts of football seasons past could see LCC squaring off against against former 1A foes, Eastern Hancock and LOS opponent, Scecina, and 2A former regular season opponent, Heritage Christian.  If the stars align correctly, there could be a re-match of LCC-Linton who last met in 1A at LOS in 2015.  With that conjectured, there's PLENTY more football and LOTS of star-aligning that has to take place for these to happen.

That always ends up in the Sectional of Death.  The only thing missing this season is that Chatard's sitting up in 4A this season

Come on Fox. Seegers is probably 4th or 5th in that sectional and have some issues that can’t be talked about without a media link. State law! 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

Come on Fox. Seegers is probably 4th or 5th in that sectional and have some issues that can’t be talked about without a media link. State law! 

I dare you to come say that to my face!

I gotta go.

If your going to seed. All you have to do is send a doc to all 8 Head coaches in the Sectional. And rank them 1-8.

Once they are all turned it, send out the seeded Sectionals, along with each coaches vote. It holds the coaches accountable, and there can be bias. It is how they do a wrestling sectional for the most part.

We did this for our conference tournament when we were in the conference in Illinois. You could not use Sagarin, because it does not take into affect out of state opponents.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

I really believe Sagarin ratings are the best way to seed the tournament.

Except Sagarin Ratings do a poor job or ranking schools in conferences that play a closed conference schedule. Just take a look at the SAC and SIAC ratings. They are all over the place every single week, and it is due to the fact that those conferences play closed schedules. Sagarin's formula does not appropriately account for this currently, and therefore do not accurately rank those SAC and SIAC teams.

A perfect example is Sectional 24 ratings right now. You have a 1-5 Boonville team with a 58.58 ratings, while 7-0 Jasper has a 23.15 rating. Are you telling me you would like to see Boonville seeded higher than Jasper?

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

3 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Except Sagarin Ratings do a poor job or ranking schools in conferences that play a closed conference schedule. Just take a look at the SAC and SIAC ratings. They are all over the place every single week, and it is due to the fact that those conferences play closed schedules. Sagarin's formula does not appropriately account for this currently, and therefore do not accurately rank those SAC and SIAC teams.

A perfect example is Sectional 24 ratings right now. You have a 1-5 Boonville team with a 58.58 ratings, while 7-0 Jasper has a 23.15 rating. Are you telling me you would like to see Boonville seeded higher than Jasper?

I don't know what the right answer is to be honest. I totally agree with that and I think a team's record should be factored in more than it does sometimes. But if you look at 5A and 6A, and you got rid of the sectional numbers and just seeded the North and  the South, for the most part it is about exactly how I would rank the teams. I know that there will always be exceptions and discrepancies that we all would argue about and I know Sagarin isn't always perfect, but for the most part year in and year out it is very close. 

On 10/3/2021 at 12:39 PM, foxbat said:

Perhaps the stars will align n Lcc will eventually hav a date w Mater-Dei. I dont believe that matchup has ever taken place. Seems a bit of a long shot... but the one id most like to c...

7 hours ago, BendNotBreak said:

Perhaps the stars will align n Lcc will eventually hav a date w Mater-Dei. I dont believe that matchup has ever taken place. Seems a bit of a long shot... but the one id most like to c...

The last time those planets' orbits got close was 2014 when LCC had been bumped to 2A via SF.  LCC lost to RCHS by a field goal in semi-state that year which allowed RCHS to advance to LOS and beat up on Mater Dei for the blue ring.  Given how LCC played RCHS, if LCC had won that semi-state, the HC would have brought home the blue ring as well.