Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Memes - Abandon all hope - Ye who enter....

swordfish

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, DK_Barons said:

Hmm, so when was punctuation no longer considered a part of the whole system and structure of a language or of languages in general?  😉

I don't think there was such a time. But the words as written (and punctuated) on the sign are not grammatically incorrect -- they make out an intelligible statement in "correct" English grammar. (Indeed, that is precisely what makes the sign funny/ironic).  But the words don't convey the meaning that the person (presumably) intended because of a punctuation problem (misplacement of the exclamation point.) 

39 minutes ago, Wabash82 said:

I don't think there was such a time. But the words as written (and punctuated) on the sign are not grammatically incorrect -- they make out an intelligible statement in "correct" English grammar. (Indeed, that is precisely what makes the sign funny/ironic).  But the words don't convey the meaning that the person (presumably) intended because of a punctuation problem (misplacement of the exclamation point.) 

I don't disagree that the error is one of punctuation, but punctuation is a subset of grammar, thus it is also a grammatical error as stated. Grammar is "the whole system and structure of a language or of languages in general". It includes many subtopics. 

Here's one where spelling/capitalization makes a big difference. ...also considered a grammatical error if you intended one but penned the other. 

Coach Nowlin was out in the barn helping my Uncle Jack off a horse.

verses

Coach Nowlin was out in the barn helping my uncle jack off a horse. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, DK_Barons said:

Here's one where spelling/capitalization makes a big difference. ...also considered a grammatical error if you intended one but penned the other. 

verses

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/309281/do-capitalization-and-punctuation-fall-under-the-category-of-grammar

7 minutes ago, Wabash82 said:

This seems like an odd place to get into a serious discussion on these topics. Those opinions in the provided link are not anything I haven't seen before, I happen to be on the other side of the fence though. I will admit there isn't really a "correct" answer. Many people consider mechanics to be part of the broad topic of grammar also. In which case saying something is a part of mechanics is also saying it is a part of grammar in general.  Some consider the overall topic of punctuation a part of mechanics while others do not.  

The opinion represented in the provided link usually stems from an argument along the lines of this: It doesn't matter whether the first letter of a sentence is capitalized or not so far as the meaning of the sentence, Which I concede is pretty accurate.  Based on that the conclusion drawn is the one that therefore capitalization is not grammatical in the sense clarity. In fact, in the spoken language we wouldn't know if a capital letter was present or not.  But the silly joke I provided does clearly show in the written language how a couple capital letters can make a big difference in the connotation of the two sentences. This and other examples like it form the other side of the argument that capitals can and do provide clarity and enhance or provide meaning and thus must also be a category of grammar.

The rules for things like capitalization have changed just in my lifetime let alone over many more generations. In fact, they are changing today. I read an interesting article on that topic not too long ago. 

I recently finished a book I was writing for my lodge on its history as it approaches its 200th anniversary. I compiled several past histories, the oldest was written in the 1850s. I transcribed each as is, but after doing so and reading them over a few times I decided to take liberties with the original works and updated a number of things such as capitalization, punctuation and even some basic word structure to match current conventions. I tried to stay true to the original with my edits while easing the readability for the audience. I cited them as transcribed and noted the types of alterations I made and left the reader the locations of the original works if they are interested.  My point is in language things are constantly changing and as they change disagreements exist even among the experts in the field. 

I prefer teaching in my field, mathematics. One might think you would not have the above issue with a topic like math but that would be far from the truth.

This is one University's English Dept.'s list of the subtopics of grammar, but another's list could, may, and most likely will vary.

Syntax and Sentence Structure	
Comma Splices, Run-ons, and Fragments	
Subject-Verb Agreement	
Verbs	
Verb Tense	
Nouns and Pronouns	
Preposition Usage	
Articles	
Commonly Confused Words	
General Punctuation	
Comma Usage	
Semicolon and Colon Usage	
Possessives	
Hyphens and Dashes	
Quotation Marks	
Parenthesis and Ellipses	
Mechanics	

...BACK TO THE FUNNIES NOW 

8 hours ago, DK_Barons said:

verses

I thought @Coach Nowlin was allergic to horses.

Lord, and @Coach Nowlin,I apologize for that.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DK_Barons said:

The opinion represented in the provided link usually stems from an argument along the lines of this: It doesn't matter whether the first letter of a sentence is capitalized or not so far as the meaning of the sentence, Which I concede is pretty accurate.  Based on that the conclusion drawn is the one that therefore capitalization is not grammatical in the sense clarity. In fact, in the spoken language we wouldn't know if a capital letter was present or not.  But the silly joke I provided does clearly show in the written language how a couple capital letters can make a big difference in the connotation of the two sentences. This and other examples like it form the other side of the argument that capitals can and do provide clarity and enhance or provide meaning and thus must also be a category of grammar.

The rules for things like capitalization have changed just in my lifetime let alone over many more generations. In fact, they are changing today. I read an interesting article on that topic not too long ago. 

I have a co-worker WHO USES NOTHING BUT CAPITAL LETTERS IN ALL THEIR EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE, EVEN USING PRETTY COLORS FROM TIME TO TIME.  It's annoying, but they won't change their ways.  Something about being ex-military..................

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I have a co-worker WHO USES NOTHING BUT CAPITAL LETTERS IN ALL THEIR EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE, EVEN USING PRETTY COLORS FROM TIME TO TIME.  It's annoying, but they won't change their ways.  Something about being ex-military..................

Computers have greatly changed mechanics too and at a quicker pace than any other time in history.

7 minutes ago, DK_Barons said:

Computers have greatly changed mechanics too and at a quicker pace than any other time in history.

Agreed.  I've been working in the technology and software field for almost 30 years.  My first job was doing COBOL & PL/1 programming using an IBM 3270 terminal, aka "the boat anchor".  It looked like this:

Image result for ibm 3270 terminal

You could kill somebody with that keyboard, it was made of steel.......

• Like 1