Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Memes - Abandon all hope - Ye who enter....

swordfish

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Agreed.  I've been working in the technology and software field for almost 30 years.  My first job was doing COBOL & PL/1 programming using an IBM 3270 terminal, aka "the boat anchor".  It looked like this:

Image result for ibm 3270 terminal

You could kill somebody with that keyboard, it was made of steel.......

Those things weighed a ton.  I remember when we switched those things out for the 3180s.  It was a modularized contraption that had four components to it and you could get them repaired pretty quickly without needing a repairman or any real knowledge about hardware.  

COBOL is my unemployment/retirement golden ticket.   With the vast majority of COBOL programmers dying off and the vast number of systems that still are running it, I could always do a little COBOL consulting work if things ever get thin in retirement.  

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

It would be a constitutional crisis. 

Ironically, the easy one would be over immigration again.  Fertility rate, tied to replacement, has sustainability right around 2.1.  The US is below that, so without immigration, US population will begin to shrink.  The next president could say it's a national crisis, without even worrying about Constitutional gun crisis, and like Ronald Reagan said to Mr. Gorbachev, "Tear down this wall."

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

COBOL is my unemployment/retirement golden ticket.   With the vast majority of COBOL programmers dying off and the vast number of systems that still are running it, I could always do a little COBOL consulting work if things ever get thin in retirement.  

Same here.  I haven't done any real programming in COBOL for several years, but it is like riding a bicycle.

12 hours ago, DK_Barons said:

I'm just itching to try the new pizza place.

hqdefault.jpg

I hear the experience sticks with you for a lifetime!