Sign in to follow this  
swordfish

Memes - Abandon all hope - Ye who enter....

19 hours ago, foxbat said:

Well you can't control folks who believe that the Nazis are coming for their guns and run out plop down lots of money "just in case."  Obama signed two gun laws while he was president.  Those expanded the rights of gun owners.

Wait a minute...I hear and read plenty of lefties calling the Trumpster "Hitler".  I don't believe either side has strict control of applying the Nazi label to the other.

What Obama signed and what he tried to get accomplished are 2 different things.  His continued voice on his feelings of gun control had a big impact on increasing sales.  You know as well as I do that when the next Dem administration is in office, what they will attempt to do and what will be the result in terms of gun sales.  2nd amendment is a big deal in this country. To be fair, some of the increase during Obama in the later stages occurred during the campaign in which Hillary was thought to be the next POTUS.  She made it clear her intent, and people reacted.

Perhaps Dems need to learn to manage their approach to this issue.......that will most likely have an impact on consumer behavior.  Its all about the marketing and certain Dems have been incredible salespeople.

Blaming this all on "crazy people" and none of this on the Dem approach just isn't credible Fox.

https://www.npr.org/2017/03/31/522036660/democrats-are-good-for-gun-sales-guess-what-happened-after-trumps-election

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-sales/u-s-gun-sales-down-6-1-percent-in-2018-extending-trump-slump-idUSKCN1PN346

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

18 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Wait a minute...I hear and read plenty of lefties calling the Trumpster "Hitler".  I don't believe either side has strict control of applying the Nazi label to the other.

What Obama signed and what he tried to get accomplished are 2 different things.  His continued voice on his feelings of gun control had a big impact on increasing sales.  You know as well as I do that when the next Dem administration is in office, what they will attempt to do and what will be the result in terms of gun sales.  2nd amendment is a big deal in this country. To be fair, some of the increase during Obama in the later stages occurred during the campaign in which Hillary was thought to be the next POTUS.  She made it clear her intent, and people reacted.

Perhaps Dems need to learn to manage their approach to this issue.......that will most likely have an impact on consumer behavior.  Its all about the marketing and certain Dems have been incredible salespeople.

Blaming this all on "crazy people" and none of this on the Dem approach just isn't credible Fox.

https://www.npr.org/2017/03/31/522036660/democrats-are-good-for-gun-sales-guess-what-happened-after-trumps-election

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-sales/u-s-gun-sales-down-6-1-percent-in-2018-extending-trump-slump-idUSKCN1PN346

Psychology Today has a slightly different take https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/slightly-blighty/201601/does-obama-effect-increase-gun-ownership-and-shooting

FTA:

This potential mechanism is referred to as the “fear of gun control” theory, and this theory itself was strongly supported by the data analysed in this study.

The author of the study, Emilio Depetris-Chauvin, points out that, despite the anti-gun-control lobby’s negative advertising; there was no clear rationale for believing that Obama's gun policies would be considerably more restrictive than those of Hillary Clinton or John McCain.

Although Obama had consistently supported gun control measures in the past, he also repeatedly claimed to advocate upholding and respecting the “Second Amendment”.

The fact that Obama did not have an especially stronger anti-gun record or campaign position relative to John McCain and Hillary Clinton – both of whom had been criticized by the NRA prior to then, begs the question, according to this study, as to why the particular likelihood of his being elected should induce such a specific surge in gun sales.

But, this study argues, possibly Black candidates in US Elections may induce particularly intense apprehensions and fears among Whites. Can prejudice partially account for the unusual surge in gun sales?

This research investigated the question by analysing racial attitude toward Blacks at the state level and information regarding the likelihood of Obama becoming president. The results suggest that Obama's election is statistically associated with a 24% increase in the demand for guns for a state with average levels of racial prejudice.

But in states with higher levels of racial prejudice there is even more demand for guns, whenever it looked more likely that Obama was going to get elected.

For instance Louisiana's racial prejudice level is measurably very significantly above Virginia's and appeared to contribute to an additional 12% increase in the demand for guns in Louisiana, when Obama was elected.

This study concludes that racial sentiments may have played a role in the unusual increase of the demand for guns during the period of analysis.

That increases in the demand for guns were larger in states with higher levels of racial prejudice, is interpreted by the author as evidence consistent, albeit inconclusive until further research is done, with racial sentiments underlying the ‘Obama Effect’.

• Like 1

interesting article.....some I can see...some of the conclusions are interesting to say the least.  

Bottom line, people bought guns because they were worried about their freedoms...and they felt additional gun control on the horizon.  Obama discussed gun control repeatedly and Clinton ran her campaign with this issue front and center.  Their actions did drive consumer behavior, and it wasn't just because he was black.  C'mon.  I had to laugh at that one.  Hillary would have continued the trend of escalating gun sales had she been elected.  Much is out there to support this.

A summary of Obama's public push for additional gun control

https://www.politico.com/gallery/2015/08/its-got-to-stop-15-times-obama-has-pushed-for-stronger-gun-control-002064?slide=0

Gun industry claimed sales increased by 158% during his tenure

https://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2016/04/12/the-gun-industry-says-it-has-grown-158-since-obama-took-office/#6f4aeb357f4e

So much data is out there to show the spike in sales during BO's time....you can try to state there is zero correlation, but we know this...gun sales declined significantly after Trump became president.  Why?  I guess we will have to wait for the study to identify him as Satan, and that his followers don't need guns to do their damage......

Owners of some gun shops saw sales leap in the months leading up to the 2016 presidential election, when polls indicated that Clinton, the Democratic presidential nominee, would likely defeat Trump and win the White House. December 2015, during Obama’s second term, was the single-highest month for background checks in history, with about 3.3 million conducted.

Under Obama, two styles of firearms dominated sales, said Brian G. Rafn, director of research for Wisconsin-based Morgan Dempsey, an institutional investment firm. The first were the AR-style rifles, including the AR-15, and the second are smaller "personal protection" handguns perfect for everyday carrying, especially by women, he said. Rafn said because firearms are durable goods, the number of them in circulation grows by about 5% annually.

American firearms manufacturers made about 11.5 million pistols, revolvers, shotguns and rifles in 2016, the latest year for which data is available, according to federal officials. That's twice as many as were made in 2009, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

Rafn said he's unsurprised by the slowdown in firearms sales given Trump's lack of rhetoric about seizure or confiscation, and noted that deep discounts over the past year likely hurt manufacturers more than the relatively small slowdown in sales. He said 2017 brought discounts of up to 40%, while discounts this year are closer to 20%, a sign of improving sales.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/03/27/gun-sales-face-uncertain-future-thanks-president-trumps-support-industry/459862002/

Perhaps he's not solely accountable for the increase in gun sales...but its way more than a coincidence, and its not just due to prejudice.  Had Hillary been elected, there wouldn't have been the decline in gun sales experienced while Trump has been in office.  I guess we shall just see when the next Dem is leading the country, assuming they continue the push for additional gun control.

• Disdain 1

39 minutes ago, Irishman said:

53905678_2158506097703235_7338084915231064064_n.jpg

That one's in April.  April 20th to be exact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2019 at 6:47 PM, Muda69 said:

43e25me42cm21.jpg

1)  Do not equate the actions of the lord to the actions of the US Government.

2)  Actually, Jesus was able to take 5 loaves of bread and 2 fishes and fed 5,000 people that he was preaching to.........It's what the bible calls a "MIRACLE".....Not a government handout.......

3)  Prime example of why SF doesn't discuss the bible with an atheist......

4)  Yeah I know - it's just a meme........but.....

Edited by swordfish
  • Disdain 1

So far - The best meme I have seen.......Loving the Billy Joel connection......

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, text

On 3/17/2019 at 3:06 PM, Irishman said:

53905678_2158506097703235_7338084915231064064_n.jpg

Irishman, you give me a pain in the heart, lad. A shamrock has three leaves, not four! Finding a four leaf clover may be a sign of luck, but it is not a symbol of Ireland.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wabash82 said:

Irishman, you give me a pain in the heart, lad. A shamrock has three leaves, not four! Finding a four leaf clover may be a sign of luck, but it is not a symbol of Ireland.

I did see that.....funny story. Our senior year, all football season, one of our teammates, Bobby Limbaugh (RIP) found one 4 leaf clover each week during our stretching. Yep, found 14 of them on our practice field. Coaches would call him out when he was late finding one; but every week we heard "Yep, here is another one". We went 14-0 that year; so there is a special place in my heart for the 4 leaf version. 🙂

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this