Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Game of the Decade - Cathedral v Center Grove

On 10/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, StatQueen said:

Everyone knows this Arlington "venue" is a joke.  Typical Cathedral trying to act like it's not.  A shame this game isn't getting a better environment.  The real issue is that the Irish are actually lucky they don't have to deal with Rebel OLine this year.  Actual best game would be CGvsRoncalli this year.

The environment will be just fine. Rebels? I think it could be said the Royals are fortunate they don't have to deal with the Irish front 6. At any rate should be a good game between the Trojans and Irish like it usually is. The Royals can focus on the other Trojans from St. Leon Indiana.

Serious question...is there no longer an agreement between Cathedral and Tech high school?  I believe that is where the last couple of CG vs Cathedral games have been hosted by the Irish.  I ask because the Tech schedule has them on the road against Kokomo, so I assume the Tech field is open friday night.  Turf field, larger seating capacity, perhaps better parking (not sure), so it just made me wonder.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, temptation said:

Revising my prediction on this one after hearing Brebeuf became the latest outfit to put garbage points on the board late.

CG 20-14.

Points will be at a premium in this game, especially with inclement weather expected. Will be a field position game all night. 

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Points will be at a premium in this game, especially with inclement weather expected. Will be a field position game all night. 

I hate to suggest this but with that considered and the much publicized topic of a natural grass field, is there ANY shot one or both coaches play it safe and conservative considering the bigger picture in mind?

More specifically, and I will not pretend to know the health status of either club, but if I’ve got a kid with a nagging injury, do I even chance it on Friday night?

What do I have to gain other than street cred in some mythical national poll?

Edited by temptation

26 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Serious question...is there no longer an agreement between Cathedral and Tech high school?  I believe that is where the last couple of CG vs Cathedral games have been hosted by the Irish.  I ask because the Tech schedule has them on the road against Kokomo, so I assume the Tech field is open friday night.  Turf field, larger seating capacity, perhaps better parking (not sure), so it just made me wonder.

Thanks!

Cathedral could theoretically have an agreement with any facility in the state if they so wish, the problem is that is costs Cathedral money to rent and host even at a place like Tech. That isn't the case with Arlington. Cathedral's "home field" for the longest time has always been Arlington (when available) and with Arlington no longer playing high school football the field is readily available every home game. It's less than a mile from campus. The playing surface at Arlington is more than fine and the game of football was played on grass for almost 100 years before synthetic turf. It is unfortunate that the parents of Center Grove student athletes may have to grab an extra tide stick at Target this week, but rest assured they will live. Trust me. 

21 minutes ago, temptation said:

I hate to suggest this but with that considered and the much publicized topic of a natural grass field, is there ANY shot one or both coaches play it safe and conservative considering the bigger picture in mind?

More specifically, and I will not pretend to know the health status of either club, but if I’ve got a kid with a nagging injury, do I even chance it on Friday night?

What do I have to gain other than street cred in some mythical national poll?

Cathedral will be playing this game like its their national championship regardless if the game was played on turf, grass, or concrete. 

Not sure Center Grove's status, don't really care. The facility this game is being played at is garnishing more attention than the game itself which is sad. You have Center Grove fans on Twitter complaining about safety due to the surrounding neighborhoods. Do Center Grove fans not realize they literally play across the street at Lawrence Central every other year?  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral could theoretically have an agreement with any facility in the state if they so wish, the problem is that is costs Cathedral money to rent and host even at a place like Tech. That isn't the case with Arlington. Cathedral's "home field" for the longest time has always been Arlington (when available) and with Arlington no longer playing high school football the field is readily available every home game. It's less than a mile from campus. The playing surface at Arlington is more than fine and the game of football was played on grass for almost 100 years before synthetic turf. It is unfortunate that the parents of Center Grove student athletes may have to grab an extra tide stick at Target this week, but rest assured they will live. Trust me. 

Thanks for explaining...just curious why what was done in the past has been changed for this friday. Just seems that a larger capacity facility would bring in more funds, but perhaps it doesn't offset the cost of using Tech.  Just don't hear often about capping attendance as a result of facility constraints.

I understand the history of the game, but thanks for the comments about playing surface.....

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral will be playing this game like its their national championship regardless if the game was played on turf, grass, or concrete. 

Not sure Center Grove's status, don't really care. The facility this game is being played at is garnishing more attention than the game itself which is sad. You have Center Grove fans on Twitter complaining about safety due to the surrounding neighborhoods. Do Center Grove fans not realize they literally play across the street at Lawrence Central every other year?  

Is that smart in your opinion?  I know hindsight is 2020 but this game being at the end of the season would give me pause as a head coach.  Don’t want to seem spoiled as I love the fact that these two teams are lacing it up but it’s still sort of strikes me as a nothing to gain/everything to lose type of scenario.

That being said, and maybe I’m just creating conversation out of nowhere…

if you had to pick one of the two, who has a larger margin for error when it comes to the tournament?

14 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I follow a number of Twitter feeds...feels like you might be embellishing this a little.  I've seen one comment complaining about the facility, which drove a Cathedral frosh coach to jump in the fray and start commenting.   I don't see that happen much.

Truthfully, how many CG fans have you read Tweeting about the location due to safety?  I have no dog in this fight....but perhaps I am missing all the CG fans comments.  Point me in the right direction in my thoughts about your post are inaccurate.  I am a Twitter guy, so I can find them if you point me to them.  You have me curious.

Edited by Bash Riprock

17 minutes ago, temptation said:

Is that smart in your opinion?  I know hindsight is 2020 but this game being at the end of the season would give me pause as a head coach.  Don’t want to seem spoiled as I love the fact that these two teams are lacing it up but it’s still sort of strikes me as a nothing to gain/everything to lose type of scenario.

Is it smart? Cathedral wouldn't play their games at Arlington if they thought the playing surface was unsafe, it is as simple as that. Outside one game in this series, these games have been rock fights the last 6 meetings with the final score being one possession games. No coach or team is getting conservative here, they certainly didn't last year.

20 minutes ago, temptation said:

if you had to pick one of the two, who has a larger margin for error when it comes to the tournament?

I think both teams are so head and shoulders better than their competition in their respective classes that an injury or two doesn't affect much. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I follow a number of Twitter feeds...feels like you might be embellishing this a little.  I've seen one comment complaining about the facility, which drove a Cathedral frosh coach to jump in the fray and start commenting.   I don't see that happen much.

Truthfully, how many CG fans have you read Tweeting about the location due to safety?  I have no dog in this fight....but perhaps I am missing all the CG fans comments.  Point me in the right direction in my thoughts about your post are inaccurate.  I am a Twitter guy, so I can find them if you point me to them.  You have me curious.

It's in Neddenriep's tweet. There have been multiple Center Grove fans on here as well that have commented about the safety of the facility.

@Joncommented a thread a few weeks back about possibility getting shot at because he was once shot at near Arlington back in the 80's. 

33 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I realize it is easier to focus on the negative comments but I'm looking forward to playing on grass.  If it rains during the game I'll wish I was 18 again so I could play in it.  Should be fun.  And I'm not sure how Cathedral does it but CG parents don't wash the uniforms.  😉

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, temptation said:

I follow your thinking although I doubt either staff would rest a player just to be careful.
I think the bye week following this game prior to the 5A/6A playoffs changes the equation. 
IMO a 1A-4A school would be more likely to do that if week 9 was a non-conference game and first round was a tough opponent. 

What about a guy who has been out but gets cleared to return this week?  Do you play him Friday in a pride game or do you let him heal for a couple more weeks so you have him for the playoffs.  It's not a hypothetical question.

And I do not think either side goes as deep into their playbooks as they would if this was a playoff game.

18 minutes ago, Grover said:

And I do not think either side goes as deep into their playbooks as they would if this was a playoff game.

I disagree. 

A win for Center Grove almost guarantees them a top 10 national ranking, possibly top 5. Center Grove (as well as Cathedral) should coast in the tournament even if they show all the bells and whistles. 

Honestly I see the game coming down to a trick play or a defensive/special teams TD with the way these two teams play defense. 

20 minutes ago, Grover said:

It's not black and white.  Nobody said anything about going vanilla. 

How deep did Center Grove have to go in their playbook in the tournament last year? There wasn't a game played within 3 TD's and they're a better team this year playing in a weaker 6A. 

This is a game Center Grove is playing to win, a fake punt or flea-flicker be damned. 

Edited by Footballking16

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

It's in Neddenriep's tweet. There have been multiple Center Grove fans on here as well that have commented about the safety of the facility.

@Joncommented a thread a few weeks back about possibility getting shot at because he was once shot at near Arlington back in the 80's. 

I follow Kyle. Followed his tweet last night about limited capacity. One comment that included safety. That is what drove a Cathedral freshman coach to jump in. 

01836F90-3713-4609-8E8E-05D2F5F38960.jpeg