Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Game of the Decade - Cathedral v Center Grove

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

what is the pressbox situation at Arlington? Have to feel for media/film crew and coaches. Especially the coaches who need to be able to spot during the game. 

I found this view......

https://irishmegaphone.com/10633/sports/from-field-of-weeds-to-field-of-dreams/#modal-photo

Can get a top view from google map satellite view

Lets get this straight, neither team "likes" to lose!  The only thing they're playing for is pride and a bit of bragging rights.  Whoever loses, doesn't go home.  That's what makes next weeks game more important.  Hardware and a 2nd game is at stake starting next week.

I gotta say this game is the de facto state championship, for all classes. Winner of this game is the true king of Indiana HS Football. Which is why neither team should hold back. Each should cruise through their respective tournaments, regardless of which players they chose to field. So lay it all on the line this Friday. Final Score: Center Grove 19-16 Cathedral

• Like 2

23 hours ago, temptation said:

Is that smart in your opinion?  I know hindsight is 2020 but this game being at the end of the season would give me pause as a head coach.  Don’t want to seem spoiled as I love the fact that these two teams are lacing it up but it’s still sort of strikes me as a nothing to gain/everything to lose type of scenario.

That being said, and maybe I’m just creating conversation out of nowhere…

if you had to pick one of the two, who has a larger margin for error when it comes to the tournament?

I think if both teams were in 6A you might see the coaches take the gas of the pedal, maybe even rest starting unites after halftime..only because these two would be play each other again in a much bigger game on Thanksgiving Weekend.

That is not the case this year of course.  CG and Irish are so far ahead of the rest of the pack, and fitting this will be the most difficult game of the season for both teams.  Both will blow through everyone when the 'second season' starts in a few weeks so let's enjoy this one while we can!

1 hour ago, Dave007 said:

I think if both teams were in 6A you might see the coaches take the gas of the pedal, maybe even rest starting unites after halftime..only because these two would be play each other again in a much bigger game on Thanksgiving Weekend.

That is not the case this year of course.  CG and Irish are so far ahead of the rest of the pack, and fitting this will be the most difficult game of the season for both teams.  Both will blow through everyone when the 'second season' starts in a few weeks so let's enjoy this one while we can!

6A playoffs won't be a walk in the park....requires teams to stay healthy and beat multiple talented teams twice, which is never an easy task.  I believe CG understands this and won't sell the farm friday.  They will play hard and play to win, but will not sacrifice their ultimate prize of a 6A title.  I think this was Grover's point in earlier comments.

Just my opinion, but Cathedral's gap to win in the 5A playoffs is much greater than CG's in 6A.  I don't see the playoff risks identical at all.  

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

6A playoffs won't be a walk in the park....requires teams to stay healthy and beat multiple talented teams twice, which is never an easy task.  I believe CG understands this and won't sell the farm friday.  They will play hard and play to win, but will not sacrifice their ultimate prize of a 6A title.  I think this was Grover's point in earlier comments.

Just my opinion, but Cathedral's gap to win in the 5A playoffs is much greater than CG's in 6A.  I don't see the playoff risks identical at all.  

I agree with the gaps between teams in their respective classes are wider in 5A than 6A, but CG being ranked #9 in the nation is no fluke. 

It will be interesting to see how the weather truly effects the game.  49 degrees + 15mph winds + 1/2" rain projected + grass field = conditions both teams probably have not played in quite some time?

7 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

I agree with the gaps between teams in their respective classes are wider in 5A than 6A, but CG being ranked #9 in the nation is no fluke. 

It will be interesting to see how the weather truly effects the game.  49 degrees + 15mph winds + 1/2" rain projected + grass field = conditions both teams probably have not played in quite some time?

I think CG is great.  I think Cathedral is great.  No fluke in the national rankings of either team.  I just believe (opinion only) that CG has a tougher road in the 6A playoffs than Cathedral does in 5A.  All I am saying, that depending how things go friday night, realizing the path is tougher may play into decision-making if "push comes to shove".  Hopefully, it doesn't.

I agree 100% with your comments about weather.  Absolutely changes the game and the planning behind it.  May limit the amount of weapons that can be either released or optimized.  Tayven Jackson throwing 5 TD's last week was a thing of beauty.  If the forecast is accurate, definitely makes a passing much more of a challenge.

32 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

I think rain helps Cathedral in this instance. Absolutely nobody has been able to run on Cathedral this year and I don't see it changing much this weekend. Jackson for me has always been the X factor in this matchup. Sans a last minute drive in last years game that never should have happened in the first place, I was pretty meh on Jackson's ability to throw the ball down the field. He faced a ton of pressure last year and through into coverage a lot. If Cathedral can force CG into obvious passing games, Cathedral's pressure and weather could play well into their favor in the passing game. -

5 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

This games also falls during fall break

Plus it seems to be still within prime “shooting season” in Indy.  That usually winds down as the weather cools off but its been unseasonably warm for October.

I would not blame a single CG fan (nor Cathedral fan for that matter) one iota for staying home, dry and safe and ponying up for the webcast for this one.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dave007 said:

Oh boy!!!

4444.JPG

Oh boy indeed. Nothing gets me more excited for a game than a wet, cold, windy, muddy, stormy night. Most fun games to play in. Wish I could make it, but definitely will be watching from up North.

10 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Forecast I watched this morning on WTHR has most of the rain and bad weather out of the Indy area by kickoff.  Will definitely be wet/soggy.  

Guess we will see if that forecast was accurate from Chuck Lofton and friends....

Not sure why but I have a feeling this contest is going to fall short of expectations and be underwhelming

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

Not sure why but I have a feeling this contest is going to fall short of expectations and be underwhelming

Could be, but history tells us these two schools will be at their best, barring injuries. 
You saying one is that much better?

7 minutes ago, southend said:

Could be, but history tells us these two schools will be at their best, barring injuries. 

No.  Just saying that things are often said publicly for effect but deep down are not true.  That, combined with the weather forecast, playing surface gives me pause.

Could totally see folks waking up Saturday morning disappointed because the weather, facility, conservative play calling did not reveal the superiority of one team over the other.

Hope I am wrong.

28 minutes ago, southend said:

2014 CG 44-38

2015 CG 7-0

2016 CG 44-41 OT

2017 Cath 21-14

2018 CG 34-7

2019 Cath 14-9

2020 CG 17-13

This game is always highly contested and in a few instances have been decided on the last play of the game. Expect nothing less tomorrow night. Anyone downplaying the significance of this game is lying to themselves, it will be a war. If Center Grove wins, it's very likely they are repeat undefeated large class champions. Not even the Warren teams of the mid-2000's who rattled off 4 in a row can say that. 

15 minutes ago, temptation said:

No.  Just saying that things are often said publicly for effect but deep down are not true.  That, combined with the weather forecast, playing surface gives me pause.

Could totally see folks waking up Saturday morning disappointed because the weather, facility, conservative play calling did not reveal the superiority of one team over the other.

Hope I am wrong.

But all that you said ,IS football. 14-13 game, 7-9 game is ok by me. 

Two good programs here! Hard to lay an egg in this contest.