Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Game of the Decade - Cathedral v Center Grove

Great game between two very good teams, as expected.  CG offense came up with two big plays against an outstanding Cathedral defense and  won the game.  Now it's on to the beginning of the trophy season.  It was the first time the Irish didn't score a TD in a game since 2015 against CG.  Score of that game was 7-0.

I think both sides would agree that the officiating was totally subpar.  No home cooking for the Irish tonight.

52 minutes ago, Grover said:

How did that work out?

He must’ve missed the second half…likely because he was drafting a letter to the IHSAA about their subpar postseason tournament.

In all seriousness though, back to walking through the 5A tournament for the Irish.  Boring.  They had their shot…and blew it once again.

(I’d have been ashamed asking an opposing team to play under those conditions in 2021 for the record.)

Edited by temptation
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I think both sides would agree that the officiating was totally subpar.  No home cooking for the Irish tonight.

Can anyone explain where the holding was called that negated the CG punt return for a TD?  It looked like the flag was thrown on the 10 yd line a long way from the ball carrier. Why was the ball placed back at midfield?

Edited by Bash Riprock

12 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Can anyone explain where the holding was called that negated the CG punt return for a TD?  It looked like the flag was thrown on the 10 yd line a long way from the ball carrier. Why was the ball placed back at midfield?

The officiating was not good for either team tonight.  That's the best explanation I can give.  Lots of missed calls and a lot of curious calls.

Painful.

Eerily similar to the New Pal regional a few years back. Dominate in all facets of the game except the scoreboard for nearly 3 quarters, fail to capitalize on opportunities to blow the game open, let a good team hang around, and run out of gas in the end.

Credit to Center Grove, took punch after punch and never hit the canvas. Bunch of strong and mental tough kids on that team. 

16 minutes ago, temptation said:

He must’ve missed the second half…likely because he was drafting a letter to the IHSAA about their subpar postseason tournament.

In all seriousness though, back to walking through the 5A tournament for the Irish.  Boring.  They had their shot…and blew it once again.

(I’d have been ashamed asking an opposing team to play under those conditions in 2021 for the record.)

Field conditions were the same for both teams.  I guess some have forgotten how football was conducted before field turf.  It brought back memories of some great games in worse conditions than that.

Oh and the Irish lost the game on two fine plays, they didn't give the game away.

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Painful.

Eerily similar to the New Pal regional a few years back. Dominate in all facets of the game except the scoreboard for nearly 3 quarters, fail to capitalize on opportunities to blow the game open, let a good team hang around, and run out of gas in the end.

Credit to Center Grove, took punch after punch and never hit the canvas. Bunch of strong and mental tough kids on that team. 

The made the big plays when the game was on the line.  Hats off to the Trojans.  They're tough to beat!

• Like 1

Both teams are the best in the state for sure! Great game and great atmosphere. Really exciting. Trojans are the better team though. Field conditions were the same for both teams, but man it was horrible!! Limited some exciting plays for sure.

I’ll stand by my claim.  Just because it was equally pitiful for both teams doesn’t mean it was the right decision to play this game at Arlington Middle School.  I don’t care what Cathedral deems it’s home field.

It didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out when the 10 day forecast showed the amount of rain Indy was going to receive that this was going to happen.

Game could have easily been moved but I have a sneaky suspicion one team didn’t want it to be for obvious competitive reasons.

I’m all for what some folks above consider “old school football” but that was pathetic last night.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Field conditions were the same for both teams.  I guess some have forgotten how football was conducted before field turf.  It brought back memories of some great games in worse conditions than that.

Oh and the Irish lost the game on two fine plays, they didn't give the game away.

The made the big plays when the game was on the line.  Hats off to the Trojans.  They're tough to beat!

Thats what I thought as I watched it....the way it should be !

2 hours ago, temptation said:

I’ll stand by my claim.  Just because it was equally pitiful for both teams doesn’t mean it was the right decision to play this game at Arlington Middle School.  I don’t care what Cathedral deems it’s home field.

It didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out when the 10 day forecast showed the amount of rain Indy was going to receive that this was going to happen.

Game could have easily been moved but I have a sneaky suspicion one team didn’t want it to be for obvious competitive reasons.

I’m all for what some folks above consider “old school football” but that was pathetic last night.

100% agree with you! Heard through the grapevines that CG offered Cathedral to allow them to use their facility. Would have given Cathedral the entire gate money, home stands, and allowed them to complete their senior night facilities. There were individuals that were on board for this, but ultimately got turned down. 

Either way, atmosphere was still amazing and it ended up being a solid game despite the terrible field. 

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Exactly what competitive reason would that be? Of note Cathedral's defense is solely built around speed (muddy conditions don't lend itself to that). Cathedral's WR's have speed and their strong suit has been their passing game (muddy conditions don't lend itself to that). Cathedral's QB has been good at eluding pressure, setting his feet and throwing, and running very well when needed (muddy conditions didn't lend itself to that). Center Grove has speed too.

Cathedral Head Coach Bill Peebles in the newspaper said it best. Field conditions hurt both Cathedral and Center Grove's offense. In all honesty Center Grove made some huge plays when needed at the end, Cathedral had opportunities and didn't capitalize.

Cathedral's home field is Arlington rain, snow, or shine. That was made very clear when they hired Turf Dog's to resurface the grass at Arlington. If it rains to make muddy conditions it rains plain and simple. They played St. Xavier, LaSalle, Elder, Brebeuf Jesuit, Decatur Central, and Whiteland there last year. They played Penn, Chatard, Hammond Morton, and Center Grove there this year and will play Terra Haute North there.

It wasn't that long ago that many of these teams with turf fields had natural grass fields and had to deal with sloppy conditions if the weather was not great (That includes Center Grove and even Roncalli)..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

100% agree with you! Heard through the grapevines that CG offered Cathedral to allow them to use their facility. Would have given Cathedral the entire gate money, home stands, and allowed them to complete their senior night facilities. There were individuals that were on board for this, but ultimately got turned down. 

Either way, atmosphere was still amazing and it ended up being a solid game despite the terrible field. 

I don't blame Cathedral 1 bit for declining, and think it was a great choice to decline. Of course CG would offer to lend its homefield to have another home game.

By the way 2015 CG did the same only the home stands were not given up. Arlington is Cathedral's home field and it was for several years in the 90's and 00's. Even played Center Grove there in 1992.

12 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I don't blame Cathedral 1 bit for declining, and think it was a great choice to decline. Of course CG would offer to lend its homefield to have another home game.

By the way 2015 CG did the same only the home stands were not given up. Arlington is Cathedral's home field and it was for several years in the 90's and 00's. Even played Center Grove there in 1992.

Don’t blame them for not moving it to CG but plenty other neutral sites were available.  Indiana had an opportunity to showcase two of the nation’s best on a national scale last night and the mud is the main storyline the next day.  That’s a failure.

It’s 2021…that game looked like a game from the 70s being played on a slip and slide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazed and confused said:

Thats what I thought as I watched it....the way it should be !

Agree, was a very fun game to watch and most fans from both sides I think would agree with that.  I think Cathedral struggled more than GC did with play surface mishaps, but it is what it is!  I thought play of the game was ion 4th quarter when CG's punter (Jackson who is also QB) took a very high snap, and it looked like he stretched 8' tall to grab the wet ball with one hand...then nail a punt to put Irish on 2-yard line.  If that ball went over his head Irish would have easily recovered and returned for a TD.

Now the second season begins!

10 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Agree, was a very fun game to watch and most fans from both sides I think would agree with that.  I think Cathedral struggled more than GC did with play surface mishaps, but it is what it is!  I thought play of the game was ion 4th quarter when CG's punter (Jackson who is also QB) took a very high snap, and it looked like he stretched 8' tall to grab the wet ball with one hand...then nail a punt to put Irish on 2-yard line.  If that ball went over his head Irish would have easily recovered and returned for a TD.

Now the second season begins!

Many CG fans had their pitchforks ready in the first half last night and were fully prepared to raise hell had that final score turned out differently.

Cathedral fans aren’t complaining much this morning because they can’t.  They stacked the deck…and still lost.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Exactly what competitive reason would that be? Of note Cathedral's defense is solely built around speed (muddy conditions don't lend itself to that). Cathedral's WR's have speed and their strong suit has been their passing game (muddy conditions don't lend itself to that). Cathedral's QB has been good at eluding pressure, setting his feet and throwing, and running very well when needed (muddy conditions didn't lend itself to that). Center Grove has speed too.

Cathedral Head Coach Bill Peebles in the newspaper said it best. Field conditions hurt both Cathedral and Center Grove's offense. In all honesty Center Grove made some huge plays when needed at the end, Cathedral had opportunities and didn't capitalize.

Cathedral's home field is Arlington rain, snow, or shine. That was made very clear when they hired Turf Dog's to resurface the grass at Arlington. If it rains to make muddy conditions it rains plain and simple. They played St. Xavier, LaSalle, Elder, Brebeuf Jesuit, Decatur Central, and Whiteland there last year. They played Penn, Chatard, Hammond Morton, and Center Grove there this year and will play Terra Haute North there.

It wasn't that long ago that many of these teams with turf fields had natural grass fields and had to deal with sloppy conditions if the weather was not great (That includes Center Grove and even Roncalli)..

And.....we have another game at Arlington next Friday 10/22 and the following week on 10/29.  Who knows what the weather will be then maybe even worse than last night!  And probably one more in November (I pray it will be New Pal).  Too much looking ahead I know...

While it would have been very gracious for CG to offer up their facilities for the game last night, you know that decision would have been up to the players and they would never go for that.

10 minutes ago, temptation said:

Many CG fans had their pitchforks ready in the first half last night and were fully prepared to raise hell had that final score turned out differently.

Cathedral fans aren’t complaining much this morning because they can’t.  They stacked the deck…and still lost.

Stacked what deck? Seems like one person has the pitchfork.

I doubt the Cathedral Athletic department knew what the weather would be like when they schedule was set and this game slated at Arlington well before August.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Stacked what deck? Seems like one person has the pitchfork.

I doubt the Cathedral Athletic department knew what the weather would be like when they schedule was set and this game slated at Arlington well before August.

I’ve already spoken about the stacked deck.  Many CG folks were up in arms prior to kickoff (all week really) and leading up to the game last night.  Just because those on here are not crying foul doesn’t mean this board represents the masses.

I GUARANTEE this board and other social media sites would be up in arms this morning had that score been flipped.

Both teams have speed but CG has more.  Also more talent and depth.  Terrible field conditions neutralize that advantage.  Doesn’t take a genius to figure that out.

To your last point, this game has been circled on every football fan’s calendar since LAST October.  Plenty of time to consider an alternate venue…and the rain forecast should have green lighted the decision to do so.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

I’ve already spoken about the stacked deck.  Many CG folks were up in arms prior to kickoff (all week really) and leading up to the game last night.  Just because those on here are not crying foul doesn’t mean this board represents the masses.

I GUARANTEE this board and other social media sites would be up in arms this morning had that score been flipped.

Both teams have speed but CG has more.  Also more talent and depth.  Terrible field conditions neutralize that advantage.  Doesn’t take a genius to figure that out.

To your last point, this game has been circled on every football fan’s calendar since LAST October.  Plenty of time to consider an alternate venue…and the rain forecast should have green lighted the decision to do so.

So far the biggest outcry is from the largest blowhard (yourself).

Honestly I don't care about other media sites etc that would be up at arms. Wouldn't have changed the outcome, just like anything said from the other side wouldn't change the outcome. 

It has been very well documented both teams have speed, both teams have a lot of talent, and both teams have depth. Just because you want to use narrative bias doesn't change that.

They didn't change the venue because Arlington is their homefield and it was last year too. Honest question are you that dense? It doesn't matter if every football fan had the game circles since last October. I doubt Coach Moore or Coach Peebles care about every football fan circling it on their calendar, and I'd bet they care more about their team. That is what you don't get, they aren't there to cater to you or any other fan. They are there for their team if you come to watch so be it.

They didn't need time to find another venue because the game was going to be played on their homefield rain, snow, or shine. They have already paid to rent the facility, they have already paid to resurface and upkeep the field. It will be there next week as well and any other potential home games unless the IHSAA forces them not to hold it there.

No need to whine about it anymore. "Arlington is Cathedral's home field" doesn't matter if you like it or not, nor if CG or their fans like it or not. It is rented for the year and money put into what they can. End of subject.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1