Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Class 2A Sectional #34 Talk . . .

Ok, so the pairings have been released by the IHSAA for the state football tournament.

Class 2A, Sectional 34 has the following:

Lewis Cass at Delphi

Wabash at Pioneer

Bremen at Manchester

LaVille at Rochester

Lewis Cass has the best strength of schedule in this sectional

LaVille #2

Bremen #3

Pioneer #4

Wabash #5

Manchester #6

Delphi #7

Rochester #8

If we pick first round winners, based on SOS

We would have the following in the Final Four

Lewis Cass v. Pioneer

Bremen v. LaVille

Who Ya Got In The First Round?

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

Probably Pioneer.  This appears to be the weak-sister sectional in the north this season.  The other 3 sectionals have at least one team ranked near or inside the top 50 in Sagarin.  Pioneer has the top rating in this sectional and it's 136.  Not expecting whoever emerges to advance past their regional game.  

1 hour ago, XStar said:

Probably Pioneer.  This appears to be the weak-sister sectional in the north this season.  The other 3 sectionals have at least one team ranked near or inside the top 50 in Sagarin.  Pioneer has the top rating in this sectional and it's 136.  Not expecting whoever emerges to advance past their regional game.  

Really going out on the limb there with those 2A North private schools with 5A talent.  No private schools should be playing in 1A or 2A. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, foxbat said:

Going with your Final Four, my picks would be Pioneer and in a squeaker, Bremen gets revenge over LaVille.

I'm with you on Pioneer . . .  However, with the way LaVille struggles offensively, that defense is on the field a long time.

If I said the winner of the Bremen-LaVille game would score 15, would you take the over or the under?

from_the_sidelines007

22 minutes ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

I'm with you on Pioneer . . .  However, with the way LaVille struggles offensively, that defense is on the field a long time.

If I said the winner of the Bremen-LaVille game would score 15, would you take the over or the under?

from_the_sidelines007

I think Bremen puts it together and wins this time around.  I'll take the over. 

If LaVille somehow ends up winning this one, then I would definitely say the under comes into play.

10 hours ago, LionKing said:

Really going out on the limb there with those 2A North private schools with 5A talent.  No private schools should be playing in 1A or 2A. 

Not meant to shock anyone but it does represent a change from the past number of seasons where there were teams from this sectional who could and did compete with those teams.  Pioneer did all but knock out Luers last season and very well might have if not for a key injury in that game.  Luers were quite fortunate to come out on top there.  Lewis Cass was top ranked going into the 2019 playoffs if I'm not mistaken.

As for whether those private schools should be in 2A, I guess I don't see a huge problem with it.  A private school hasn't actually won the class the past 4 years and only got to the title game last year in that stretch.  Yeah, Luers could rip off a 5-year stretch of titles at any given point in time but SF will elevate them above 2A if that is the case now.  I don't know if they are subject to SF rules after this year or next year but if it's this season then they might be in 3A next year if they go deep again as expected at this point.  

• Like 1

I havent crunched the numbers... but.. its my guess that when a strong program ... weather pub or priv... gets close to the enrollment line... ther is an advantage.... isnt both Andrean n Luers clise to that line now?  As for bumping a 1A  like say Lcc, to 3A... whic they could compete in say every 20 yrs.... well thats just prejudice..... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LionKing said:

I personally could care less if private schools are in 1 or 2A. It goes by enrollment, get better and beat them or complain and keep losing. If your team goes in with the mindset that its unfair that they are playing a private school odds are they're going to lose. The thing that does perplex me if you are a team like Andrean or Luers and you only play 4,5 and 6A schools all regular season, why do you even want to be in the 2A tournament?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarmerFran said:

I personally could care less if private schools are in 1 or 2A. It goes by enrollment, get better and beat them or complain and keep losing. If your team goes in with the mindset that its unfair that they are playing a private school odds are they're going to lose. The thing that does perplex me if you are a team like Andrean or Luers and you only play 4,5 and 6A schools all regular season, why do you even want to be in the 2A tournament?

Love this point.  Exactly the way I would be thinking if I played or coaches for one of those small-school power programs.  Why do I want to end my season with a walk-through of the playoffs that represent worse competition than I've been facing all season long.  I would want winning to mean something, even if that means you risk losing at a competitive level rather than winning at a lower level you'd dominate. 

Schools have an opportunity to opt up to play in a higher class, and props to the couple of schools that have voluntarily chosen to do that in the past.  I'm pretty sure Mishawaka opted to play in 5A for a cycle when they would've been 4A otherwise.  I think I remember a 2nd program did so as well but the school escapes me at the moment.

1 hour ago, FarmerFran said:

Agreed.

1 hour ago, XStar said:

Love this point.  Exactly the way I would be thinking if I played or coaches for one of those small-school power programs.  Why do I want to end my season with a walk-through of the playoffs that represent worse competition than I've been facing all season long.  I would want winning to mean something, even if that means you risk losing at a competitive level rather than winning at a lower level you'd dominate. 

Schools have an opportunity to opt up to play in a higher class, and props to the couple of schools that have voluntarily chosen to do that in the past.  I'm pretty sure Mishawaka opted to play in 5A for a cycle when they would've been 4A otherwise.  I think I remember a 2nd program did so as well but the school escapes me at the moment.

Mish Marion.... Secenia....

2 hours ago, XStar said:

15 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Yep ... it's P/P 2 - Public 1 in terms of playing up when not required.  Mish Mariam actually had petitioned a two class jump, if I recall the story correctly, but was only granted a one-class jump the first time they petitioned up. 

Scecina moved up to 2A by size and won 2A, then their sized dropped down to 1A enrollment and the petitioned to stay 2A.  They eventually dropped down to 1A on size and then back to 2A as the poster-school for "SF: Things Gone Wrong" ... as the only team to be sent packing northward with no blue rings in the SF era.

30 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Yep ... it's P/P 2 - Public 1 in terms of playing up when not required.  Mish Mariam actually had petitioned a two class jump, if I recall the story correctly, but was only granted a one-class jump the first time they petitioned up. 

Scecina moved up to 2A by size and won 2A, then their sized dropped down to 1A enrollment and the petitioned to stay 2A.  They eventually dropped down to 1A on size and then back to 2A as the poster-school for "SF: Things Gone Wrong" ... as the only team to be sent packing northward with no blue rings in the SF era.

Its thier Penance ... 4 losing bac to bac Title games....  🤭

On 10/12/2021 at 9:04 PM, foxbat said:

I think Bremen puts it together and wins this time around.  I'll take the over. 

If LaVille somehow ends up winning this one, then I would definitely say the under comes into play.

I'll take the under and LaVille holds Bremen to 14 or lower.  Might be an uphill battle offensively since they have scored 12 or less more often, but definitely the under.

from_the_sidelines007

20 hours ago, BendNotBreak said:

Bac on topic.... looks like Pioneers sec to lose.... but give the Lions a punchers chance if they can put it together......

Thank You For Helping Us Get Back On Topic . . . . I was just about to put the same thing!

Those of you that want to talk about public and private schools can start another topic.

Back To Class 2A Sectional 34 Talk . . . .  

from_the_sidelines007

On 10/13/2021 at 12:14 PM, BendNotBreak said:

Just to clarify . . .  And maybe it was a type-O

It is Mishawaka Marian . . . . Marion High School is in Marion, Indiana.

Mishawaka Marian is a private catholic school in Mishawaka.

Marion High School is a public high school.

A fair distance from each other.

from_the_sidelines007

5 minutes ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Thank You For Helping Us Get Back On Topic . . . . I was just about to put the same thing!

Those of you that want to talk about public and private schools can start another topic.

Back To Class 2A Sectional 34 Talk . . . .  

from_the_sidelines007

Yes.  Certainly we want to stay focused on the least relevant sectional in 2A North!!

3 minutes ago, XStar said:

Yes.  Certainly we want to stay focused on the least relevant sectional in 2A North!!

You don't have to participate in this thread. Especailly since it is the least relevant sectional in 2A North!

If you want to interact about other sectionals, please do so.

This thread was started for Class 2A Sectional 34, not public and private schools.

moving on . . . .

from_the_sidelines007

21 minutes ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

You don't have to participate in this thread. Especailly since it is the least relevant sectional in 2A North!

If you want to interact about other sectionals, please do so.

This thread was started for Class 2A Sectional 34, not public and private schools.

moving on . . . .

from_the_sidelines007

I've discussed this sectional and how poor the field is this season.  Not much more to be said about that.  If someone else wants to discuss public/privates, I'll engage that as well.