Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

South Putnam Eagles (7-1) at Linton Miners (8-0)

it's the first meeting between the schools since the 14-6 Eagle win in Semistate 1986.  The two schools met for 4 years from 1974 thru 1977 with Linton winning the 1st three meeting.  So over-all it's a 3 Wins Linton 2 Wins South Putnam.  

It is always important in Linton to defend the Roy, and short of winning a state title that starts with a sectional win... going unbeaten is always a huge thing.  I am 100% that the Eagles would love to travel to Linton and end their excellent year with a win at Linton....  and head into their own sectional tilt with a lot of positive energy and momentum.   

Head Coach Chuck Sorrell is very familiar to the Wabash Valley, and in 24-8 in his 3rd year at SP.  Sorrell took over in 2019 and led the Eagles to a 5-6 season, then a big turn-around winning their first 12 games, including a 43-40 win over Parke Heritage to give the Eagles their first sectional trophy since 2018, and their 6th in the 2000’s.  They lost to eventual 1A State Champion Covenant Christian 48-7 in the regional.  South Putnam had been through a drought in postseason from 2003 thru 2010 where they were mostly one and done.  The Eagles had a superb run from 1999 to 2002 under Coach Mark Wildman with 8 win seasons in 1999 and 2000, then a 10-4 2001 regional winning team that fell to Perry Central in Semistate.  It was 2002 that saw the Eagles reach the state by beating the Commodores 40-21, but lost a close battle to Southwood 17-14. Of Course, The Miners and Eagles played a semi-state game as well in 1986 in a game much spoken about in Miner Land albeit a 14-6 loss.  Linton had won 3 of 4 prior meetings from 1974 to 1977.  

Linton is at their best start since the 1A Championship run in 2016.  The move up to 2A has meant running into Evansville Mater Dei in each of the last 3 years, and Southridge in 2017.  LInton had won 9 sectionals in a span from 2007-2016 that included 6 Semi-State trips, and 2 appearances at Lucas Oil.  Brian Oliver became head coach in 2013, a former Miner Quarterback and a long time assistant coach.  He is 89-21 in this his 9th season.  His first year was a 13-1 run that ended at  Eastern Hancock.  Linton had 10+ wins in his first 4 seasons at the helm.  

What say the masses??  

South Putnam is a very good 1A team and they certainly have nothing to lose winning this game. Other than getting someone hurt and hampering their post season play. SP is good enough to make a 1A run. Linton on the other hand has the ultimate trap game. Do we win at all cost on Sr. night and lose a key player or two for an undefeated season? Miners right now are picked highly to make a LONG playoff run if healthy. I think both teams would love to win but not at all costs as both have great potentials post season. I'll go with Calpreps on this 34-12 Linton. I just hope both teams no injuries whatever happens. Both communities have a lot of football left. Best of Luck to both.

8 hours ago, XStar said:

Hear there is still alot of bad blood from those meetings.  

For most Miner folks.... 1986 was before their time.  I remember it only from my Dad sending me paper clippings, and of course I has 5-6 years older than these guys and have hear the laments of losing so late.  I don't know about bad blood.  it's been so long since we've played each other.   

Not a lot of interest in this game that sure looks like a good one to watch.  Course I have to factor in the wet conditions.  Haven't had a drop of bad weather in any game Friday this year... but I know it's been pouring here in Vincennes last night and over night and looks like it could again at any time.  This will make the playing field (Which is in perfect shape at Linton right now)... slippery and cutting could see some problems. 

I will have my eye on this game.  I agree that this could be a "trap" game for the Miners.  South Putnam tends to start a little out of sync and only get stronger throughout the game.  I anticipate Linton leading at first but then South to catch up and make it a see-saw battle.  Should be a barn burner...