Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

sectional 40

14 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

Does Madder Days have city speed? 

We rarely have what anyone would consider "city speed".  Perhaps the last time was back in the Patrick Mallory days (2000).  However, this year in particular, our line tends to be pretty quick for their size, esp. James Ralph.  IMO, MD will go only as far as our D will take us.  The offense has been widely inconsistent this year and has generally under-performed the perhaps too lofty expectations coming into the season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MDAlum82 said:

We rarely have what anyone would consider "city speed".  Perhaps the last time was back in the Patrick Mallory days (2000).  However, this year in particular, our line tends to be pretty quick for their size, esp. James Ralph.  IMO, MD will go only as far as our D will take us.  The offense has been widely inconsistent this year and has generally under-performed the perhaps too lofty expectations coming into the season.

Chase Rheinlander (sp?) was a pretty fast running back a few years ago. Was thinking he may have qualified for state i. the 100 or 200. But to your point, rarely does any team in this sectional have “city speed”

1 hour ago, MDAlum82 said:

I agree, MD doesn't have any burners this year but there is decent speed on the team. McDurmon can run with just about anyone and there are a few others not far behind. I agree the offense has underperformed expectations and I'll also agree those were lofty but with what we had returning they should have been lofty. After 9 weeks, I don't think we know yet what kind of offense we want to be. Are we run first or pass first? We haven't developed an identity. Maybe we get things going now. It seemed like last year things kind of took off from here. 

57 minutes ago, Cappy said:

Chase Rheinlander (sp?) was a pretty fast running back a few years ago. Was thinking he may have qualified for state i. the 100 or 200. But to your point, rarely does any team in this sectional have “city speed”

FWLIW, looking at IHSAA track sectionals

Eli McDurmon won the 400M Evansville sectional with a time of 51.26.

Gabe Eslinger came in 5th in the 100M at the Bloomington sectional.  His time of 11.91 would have put him in a 3-way tie for 9th at Evansville.  

Drew Smith would have finished the same positions (3rd and 4th) in shot and discus at Evansville.  His throws were farther than Wilson and Boots of MD.   

This means nothing when shoulder pads and helmets go on, I just like looking around at the multi-sport athletes out there. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

The SIAC plays only in-conference so no way for Sagarin to accurately compare any SIAC team with a non-SIAC team.  Once the SIAC teams begin to play outside the conference, then Sagarin ratings will change.  No way to know exactly how that will affect Sagarin's view of the Miners vs Wildcats but with several SIAC teams showing up in the top 10 of 5A, 4A, & 2A, it seems likely all SIAC teams will see a jump in their ratings once this occurs.  

Tp put it another way, the current Sagarin #s put LS as a 21 pt favorite over MD; 23 if you add 2 pts for home field.  How much would you be willing to bet on that line 'cause I  would gladly cover that for you...all day long.  LOL.

Oh! I see where your coming from there. Looking at that it's crazy. No way! But I will take ya up Miners by 3 on Calpreps. Cup of coffee and a sausage biscuit would be fine.

3 minutes ago, globemstr3 said:

Oh! I see where your coming from there. Looking at that it's crazy. No way! But I will take ya up Miners by 3 on Calpreps. Cup of coffee and a sausage biscuit would be fine.

Not certain how CalPreps does their predictions but last I checked, LS was @ +3 with a 31-28 final score, which sounds far more reasonable than what Sagarin shows.  Not much of a sausage biscuit guy but I've had worse, so you're on!  I should be in the stands for this one.  I'll look for you running down the field with the flag... 

Linton plays in grass, correct?  Let's hope for no rain & good weather conditions so both teams can play their best.  If MD's defense gives up 31, LS will certainly deserve the "W".  I will go with MD 24-14 but I am an unabashed "homer" and an eternal optimist - just like Miner Pride!   Peace. 🏈

9 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Not certain how CalPreps does their predictions but last I checked, LS was @ +3 with a 31-28 final score, which sounds far more reasonable than what Sagarin shows.  Not much of a sausage biscuit guy but I've had worse, so you're on!  I should be in the stands for this one.  I'll look for you running down the field with the flag... 

Linton plays in grass, correct?  Let's hope for no rain & good weather conditions so both teams can play their best.  If MD's defense gives up 31, LS will certainly deserve the "W".  I will go with MD 24-14 but I am an unabashed "homer" and an eternal optimist - just like Miner Pride!   Peace. 🏈

Fair enough my friend. Im in Grays Creek NC so I won't be there. Actually I plan on attending the Semi State hopefully Linton-Scecina. I can watch the Can stuff online. Best of Luck!

Wrigley Franklin (G/DE) qualified for Regionals in the Discus as a Sophomore.  He would have out thrown the MD guys as well.  Linton had 4 guys that threw 42'+ in the shot put.  I'm a little shocked the Ralph kid doesn't throw... his explosive power seems a natural fit for shot put.  Gennicks and Lynn were good hurdlers... both were injured for track sectionals.  Both would have had a chance of advancing.

Smith, Franklin, Gennicks, and Webb should be big pieces for what looks to be a really good Miner basketball team this Winter.  

Personally, I love to see multi-sport guys.  It is a major accomplishment for these young men who can commit the time to all these sports and still be contributors.

18 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

FWLIW, looking at IHSAA track sectionals

Eli McDurmon won the 400M Evansville sectional with a time of 51.26.

Gabe Eslinger came in 5th in the 100M at the Bloomington sectional.  His time of 11.91 would have put him in a 3-way tie for 9th at Evansville.  

Drew Smith would have finished the same positions (3rd and 4th) in shot and discus at Evansville.  His throws were farther than Wilson and Boots of MD.   

This means nothing when shoulder pads and helmets go on, I just like looking around at the multi-sport athletes out there. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Spitting Llamas said:

I agree, MD doesn't have any burners this year but there is decent speed on the team. McDurmon can run with just about anyone and there are a few others not far behind. I agree the offense has underperformed expectations and I'll also agree those were lofty but with what we had returning they should have been lofty. After 9 weeks, I don't think we know yet what kind of offense we want to be. Are we run first or pass first? We haven't developed an identity. Maybe we get things going now. It seemed like last year things kind of took off from here. 

I think you will see the run game improve in the post season.  MD ran it really well against Reitz.  Just tough to run against team Castle, Jasper and Memorial.  I think the OL is starting to play better and I can see the run game setting up the pass more now that the post season is here.

2 hours ago, kingtut said:

Unless I missed a week somehow, I think Linton has to play at Tell City tomorrow night.

I'm quite certain that the players are all focusing on tomorrow nights games.  Doesn't stop us fans from looking ahead to the highly probably match up next week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greene County Coach said:

Wrigley Franklin (G/DE) qualified for Regionals in the Discus as a Sophomore.  He would have out thrown the MD guys as well.  Linton had 4 guys that threw 42'+ in the shot put.  I'm a little shocked the Ralph kid doesn't throw... his explosive power seems a natural fit for shot put.  Gennicks and Lynn were good hurdlers... both were injured for track sectionals.  Both would have had a chance of advancing.

Smith, Franklin, Gennicks, and Webb should be big pieces for what looks to be a really good Miner basketball team this Winter.  

Personally, I love to see multi-sport guys.  It is a major accomplishment for these young men who can commit the time to all these sports and still be contributors.

What about Riggleman, Fields they are also part of that said basketball team too.  Both multi sport athletes.  1 player isn’t a team. 

27 minutes ago, Noble1978 said:

What about Riggleman, Fields they are also part of that said basketball team too.  Both multi sport athletes.  1 player isn’t a team. 

Yes... they will likely play.  They will be in the mix of the 7-8 varsity guys.  If this summer is an indicator of this Winter... it will be a team effort.  The ones listed played most of if not all of the 30+ Summer games.  Riggleman and Fields both missed quite a bit due to work schedules.  My mistake 🙂 

2 hours ago, Noble1978 said:

2 hours ago, Greene County Coach said:

Yes... they will likely play.  They will be in the mix of the 7-8 varsity guys.  If this summer is an indicator of this Winter... it will be a team effort.  The ones listed played most of if not all of the 30+ Summer games.  Riggleman and Fields both missed quite a bit due to work schedules.  My mistake 🙂 

Basketball??? Never heard of her.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

I'm quite certain that the players are all focusing on tomorrow nights games.  Doesn't stop us fans from looking ahead to the highly probably match up next week.

Yeah I feel guilt about talking so much about MD already.... I am working on the TEll City preview tho.. I don't have any doubt Linton knows Tell City would absolutely love to be a spoiler.

1 hour ago, LawrenceGreene said:

Basketball??? Never heard of her.

Oh yeah!!!   LOl 

I'm going to give the 2021 IHSAA Tournament Round 1 SIAC "Lou Holtz Award" to Coach Mike Goebel of the MD Wildcats.  On his radio show, he just expressed great concern about the 3-6 Forest Park Rangers. Said they were just a play or two away from winning another 3-4 games.  He's the master...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, tango said:

I'm going to give the 2021 IHSAA Tournament Round 1 SIAC "Lou Holtz Award" to Coach Mike Goebel of the MD Wildcats.  On his radio show, he just expressed great concern about the 3-6 Forest Park Rangers. Said they were just a play or two away from winning another 3-4 games.  He's the master...

And he truly believes Forest Park is a legitimate threat. I don't believe he's making that up for a second. 

1 hour ago, Spitting Llamas said:

And he truly believes Forest Park is a legitimate threat. I don't believe he's making that up for a second. 

I have seen Forest Park a couple of times this year. They play hard but seemed to tire out in the two games I saw. They are not a bad team at all and I feel Coach Goebel is dead on about his assessment.

5 hours ago, Greene County Coach said:

The way I would see it is a kid that can play 2 sports plus hold a job all while keeping good grades is just as much of a hard worker as the kid putting in 30+ games over a summer.  The way I see it.  People easily discount the kids who aren’t “starters” or commit to the sport. But what they don’t realize is those kids who work are working even harder in practice trying to get that playing time because of the time they miss because they don’t have a choice but earn money during the summer and school year to keep gas in their car to get them from point A to point B

13 hours ago, RangerMan said:

I give Coach Goebel that award, as well!! Ha

While the Rangers are legitimately 4-5 plays away from winning 5-6 games, right now, MD is king of Sectional 40 until someone knocks them off (obviously). 

13 hours ago, miner_35 said:

I have seen Forest Park a couple of times this year. They play hard but seemed to tire out in the two games I saw. They are not a bad team at all and I feel Coach Goebel is dead on about his assessment.

I'm not knocking Forest Park.  They are by far my favorite team in Dubois County. I just thought it was funny to hear Coach Goebel make it sound as if its going to be a nip and tuck battle for 4 quarters.  Maybe I'm way off, but I suspect the game will be close early and then MD will take over.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2021 at 3:02 PM, MDAlum82 said:

Yep and it's definitely different than turf.   I will say the field has been in great shape all year... last week was the first one with a lot of rain, and I'm sure it tore the field up a bit...  and we are definitely getting colder... so that nice green grass prolly starts fading away!     

Not much discussion about Nk and S Spencer.  I was pleased to see the Warriors went to Paoli and came out with a big W.  I think the Rebels going to Tell City and getting a road win was big for them too.   I think North Posey and Mater Dei have running clocks unless starters are pulled early.

Good Luck to all... and let's really hope everyone can get through tonight without injury. 

• Like 1