Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

sectional 40

1 hour ago, MDAlum82 said:

Great, now we go from "recruiting" via Open Houses that every school - including North Posey - conducts to mysterious "sponsorships" to attend Feeder schools.  "They could get sponsored potentially" - How exactly does one get one of these "sponsorships", Cappy?  I would love to know so I can save the tuition!

Well the situation that I know of the young man played travel baseball with several future MD players. He wanted to play baseball in high school with the kids on his travel team even though he was at a public school, playing public school sports with his classmates. His parents had four other children in this public school system and couldn't afford private education for even one of the five kids. Someone with connection to his travel team offered to pay his tuition to a feeder grade school starting in 7th grade. His grandfather referred to it as being sponsored in a private conversation with me. 

Also these open houses that every school does is a recruiting tool. I never stated that MD was doing anything wrong. If you are looking to save the tuition have you looked into the voucher program? I believe as long as you are not Jeff Bezos you may qualify. 

On 10/24/2021 at 5:02 PM, MDAlum82 said:

Putting together a plan for Friday night & looking @ food options.  Does Linton-Stockton have good concessions available or can someone recommend a decent place to grab a bite before the game?   Something local would be great but any place with decent food - and a tolerance for the rowdy group of 13 year old boys accompanying me - would be just fine. 

Thanks in advance.  

How many kids?

2 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Great, now we go from "recruiting" via Open Houses that every school - including North Posey - conducts to mysterious "sponsorships" to attend Feeder schools.  "They could get sponsored potentially" - How exactly does one get one of these "sponsorships", Cappy?  I would love to know so I can save the tuition!

MD come on now. It's easy. Take a kid (boy or girl) any sport. The community stands behind the athlete. Parents say we just can't afford to pay the tuition. But we know the athlete has a better chance at achieving their goals here. I would walk into a Boardroom and propose we fund the tuition. Agreed    might be 32k over 4 years or whatever. We hope to make relations in that community but zero strings are attached. And nobody recruited anybody. Happens every day.

52 minutes ago, globemstr3 said:

MD come on now. It's easy. Take a kid (boy or girl) any sport. The community stands behind the athlete. Parents say we just can't afford to pay the tuition. But we know the athlete has a better chance at achieving their goals here. I would walk into a Boardroom and propose we fund the tuition. Agreed    might be 32k over 4 years or whatever. We hope to make relations in that community but zero strings are attached. And nobody recruited anybody. Happens every day.

Wow, not certain if you are serious or if this is some thinly veiled attempt at sarcasm and/or humor.  Either way, you may have watched too many movies during the COVID lock down.  The west side of Evansville is not some “Friday Night Lights” town come to life with corporate boards investing in the community via bets on the futures of 14 year old kids.  But, hey, I hope someone buys your script!  SMH. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Wow, not certain if you are serious or if this is some thinly veiled attempt at sarcasm and/or humor.  Either way, you may have watched too many movies during the COVID lock down.  The west side of Evansville is not some “Friday Night Lights” town come to life with corporate boards investing in the community via bets on the futures of 14 year old kids.  But, hey, I hope someone buys your script!  SMH. 

Maybe he had time to read some old newspaper articles detailing what Ev. Memorial “friends of their program” got caught doing in the 80’s and 90’s.

Edited by Stoner

On 10/24/2021 at 5:02 PM, MDAlum82 said:

Putting together a plan for Friday night & looking @ food options.  Does Linton-Stockton have good concessions available or can someone recommend a decent place to grab a bite before the game?   Something local would be great but any place with decent food - and a tolerance for the rowdy group of 13 year old boys accompanying me - would be just fine. 

Thanks in advance.  

The concessions are good. 

Local Eats: (Non-Alcohol) Goosepond Pizza: Thin Crust-Highly recommend; The Grill: Diner; Golden Star Family Rest: Diner; Asian Buffet.

(Alcohol):Pizza Villa; The Vault-Get there early, service can be slow; La Fiesta; Monicals Pizza; The Sportsmans Pub-Highly recommend but no one under 21 allowed.

Edited by LawrenceGreene
  • Thanks 1

Looks like steady rain most of the day tomorrow & Friday so field conditions will likely be less than ideal at the start of the game and deteriorate from there.  Could be a mud bowl game before night’s end.  No idea how well LS field drains or what condition grass is at this pt in season but likely not at its best after 10 wks of practice & games

My admittedly biased prediction is MD finds a way to slow down LS offense just enough and pulls away in 2nd half for a 21- 14 victory.  This is not intended to disrespect LS in any way…  I am an admitted homer for MD and thus my prediction is slanted towards the desired outcome.  This game could certainly go Linton’s way for all the same reasons.

Now, I am going to step off this crazy train until after the game.  I need to get back to the boardroom, we are discussing next year’s sponsorships.  We only have $500k in the budget so we have to very discerning in who we select. 

If this doesn’t work, we may have to go with our back up plan.  MD scientists are presently hard at work on a time portal we can use to send influential Mater Dei Alums back to when the top local football talent is born and influence them to come to MD. 

Bwaaa-haa-haa-haaaaa!  Bwaaa-haa-haa-haaaaa!  Bwaaa-haa-haa-haaaaa!  (maniacal laugh track)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Now, I am going to step off this crazy train until after the game.  I need to get back to the boardroom, we are discussing next year’s sponsorships.  We only have $500k in the budget so we have to very discerning in who we select. 

$500k pays a lot of tuitions at $7200 a year, surprised your enrollment is dropping...

45 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

If this doesn’t work, we may have to go with our back up plan.  MD scientists are presently hard at work on a time portal we can use to send influential Mater Dei Alums back to when the top local football talent is born and influence them to come to MD. 

Bwaaa-haa-haa-haaaaa!  Bwaaa-haa-haa-haaaaa!  Bwaaa-haa-haa-haaaaa!  (maniacal laugh track)

No doubt acquired at the annual Clubbing of the Nuts festival....

Edited by LawrenceGreene

39 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Looks like steady rain most of the day tomorrow & Friday so field conditions will likely be less than ideal at the start of the game and deteriorate from there.  Could be a mud bowl game before night’s end.  No idea how well LS field drains or what condition grass is at this pt in season but likely not at its best after 10 wks of practice & games

My admittedly biased prediction is MD finds a way to slow down LS offense just enough and pulls away in 2nd half for a 21- 14 victory.  This is not intended to disrespect LS in any way…  I am an admitted homer for MD and thus my prediction is slanted towards the desired outcome.  This game could certainly go Linton’s way for all the same reasons.

If you only knew. Back to your posts. Gonna be raining I think Friday. If you want a grab and go    Jiffy Treat is the way to go. Kids will love it. Set down.....I already called Jo Ettas Pizza Villa ( I go there every time when going to Linton) not very busy at all before game time. They really have better than good food and very reasonably priced. You can ask for out of the way tables as well if you want more privacy. Good Luck 

I just hope Linton can come out of the gates strong... make some offensive gains... get something to go their way early for a change.  Naturally... I think the MD passing attack will be our major task in handling.  Not to discount the running game because clearly Pierre and others can certainly bust it.  But seeing 4 and 5 wide with a QB who can place the ball where it needs to be.... well that got us last year.... and the before... and before..  We just don't see that kind of team ability week in and out where every player out there can make the athletic play.  One mistake.. and boom 7-0.   I do think the sour weather come help Linton... we are used to slugging things out in mud pits.. but.. Mater Dei came to Linton in 2018 which was a mudpit.. and went away with a big W.   They are just a very good solid football team that plays very a very tough schedule mostly week in and out.  They got talent that goes one way, they are coached very well and don't fall for the things that result in big plays for Linton year long.   It's a 4 quarter battle tho...  gotta stay in the game.  Give yourself a chance.   I'll have more of my standard Miner Pride look tomorrow.. spent most of today getting it all together!   I have loved this group of Miners in 2021... this group of seniors.  Just a great group and I hope they can put it all together on Friday...  

as for all the discussion about this n that.   It's worthless at this point.  Mater Dei is who they are.  Linton is who we are.  We can't get to the next level without getting past the Wildcats.  The whole high school situation has changed to much since my days LOL.  Yeah there are kids who come to Linton because their school doesn't have a viable football program.. some have played youth league all the way up to when they can't.  I know Evansville is a bigger market no question, and I know MD can certainly attract a good athlete there way... but no more than any other Evansville school can.  I have been through the argument a million times with the like LCC 09er that just wore me down LOL... it's just useless to point fingers and make enemies. You play the games because you never know what can happen on any night..  I don't doubt at all that Linton will not have seen a defense of Mater Dei's ability... nor an offense with a QB as good as Wunderlich... or an OL or DL or anything honestly.  We have seen good players, and played some very good teams.. .but...  MD seems a step above that.  MD has most definitely faced very good teams... no point listing them.  So...they are not gonna be blinded by Linton speed or knocked out by Linton's physical presence.. not the big game hype what I hope will fill the Roy to the fences.  They've been in big city games in Evansville... Jasper... etc...  I think Linton has a chance... I think it can be done, but it can't happen with turnovers of any kind... can't happen with dropped passes or stupid penalties.  Can't happen giving the ball to Mater Dei at midfield,  can't happen if we can't get the PATs because MD won't miss those.   and.. yeah... it'd be nice to catch a break a couple times LOL.. who wouldn't...  A Wunderlich pass that flutters out of his hand wobbly that Linton can pick six on early.... yeah.. how bout that?!?!   

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

I just hope Linton can come out of the gates strong... make some offensive gains... get something to go their way early for a change.  Naturally... I think the MD passing attack will be our major task in handling.  Not to discount the running game because clearly Pierre and others can certainly bust it.  But seeing 4 and 5 wide with a QB who can place the ball where it needs to be.... well that got us last year.... and the before... and before..  We just don't see that kind of team ability week in and out where every player out there can make the athletic play.  One mistake.. and boom 7-0.   I do think the sour weather come help Linton... we are used to slugging things out in mud pits.. but.. Mater Dei came to Linton in 2018 which was a mudpit.. and went away with a big W.   They are just a very good solid football team that plays very a very tough schedule mostly week in and out.  They got talent that goes one way, they are coached very well and don't fall for the things that result in big plays for Linton year long.   It's a 4 quarter battle tho...  gotta stay in the game.  Give yourself a chance.   I'll have more of my standard Miner Pride look tomorrow.. spent most of today getting it all together!   I have loved this group of Miners in 2021... this group of seniors.  Just a great group and I hope they can put it all together on Friday...  

as for all the discussion about this n that.   It's worthless at this point.  Mater Dei is who they are.  Linton is who we are.  We can't get to the next level without getting past the Wildcats.  The whole high school situation has changed to much since my days LOL.  Yeah there are kids who come to Linton because their school doesn't have a viable football program.. some have played youth league all the way up to when they can't.  I know Evansville is a bigger market no question, and I know MD can certainly attract a good athlete there way... but no more than any other Evansville school can.  I have been through the argument a million times with the like LCC 09er that just wore me down LOL... it's just useless to point fingers and make enemies. You play the games because you never know what can happen on any night..  I don't doubt at all that Linton will not have seen a defense of Mater Dei's ability... nor an offense with a QB as good as Wunderlich... or an OL or DL or anything honestly.  We have seen good players, and played some very good teams.. .but...  MD seems a step above that.  MD has most definitely faced very good teams... no point listing them.  So...they are not gonna be blinded by Linton speed or knocked out by Linton's physical presence.. not the big game hype what I hope will fill the Roy to the fences.  They've been in big city games in Evansville... Jasper... etc...  I think Linton has a chance... I think it can be done, but it can't happen with turnovers of any kind... can't happen with dropped passes or stupid penalties.  Can't happen giving the ball to Mater Dei at midfield,  can't happen if we can't get the PATs because MD won't miss those.   and.. yeah... it'd be nice to catch a break a couple times LOL.. who wouldn't...  A Wunderlich pass that flutters out of his hand wobbly that Linton can pick six on early.... yeah.. how bout that?!?!   

Personally - I hate to see marquee games such as this one POSSIBLY be affected by poor conditions. The Roy is a great facility/place to play such a game - however the field is subpar at best - and will only get worse with the wet/muddy conditions. 

That said, both teams will have to deal with the conditions as they are. 

I'll ask again - if not this year for the Miners, then when?? 

I'll stop short of making a prediction as I don't know much about MD with our move up to 3A - but I know the Miners will be a tough out. 

17 hours ago, jets said:

Personally - I hate to see marquee games such as this one POSSIBLY be affected by poor conditions. The Roy is a great facility/place to play such a game - however the field is subpar at best - and will only get worse with the wet/muddy conditions. 

I'll stop short of making a prediction as I don't know much about MD with our move up to 3A - but I know the Miners will be a tough out. 

We have been blessed all year with outstanding weather each Friday night during the season which kept the Roy playing field as nice as it possibly can be for a small 2A school.  Course it won't match the Reitz Bowl or the outstanding facilities in Southridge that I will miss seeing each year.   But....we had a ton of rain the week on South Putnam, and the 2nd half was solid rain and that turned things muddy.  I'm sure it's gonna be pretty sloppy come Friday night as well.  Hard to say who that affects the most.  On the surface you'd think Linton would benefit because you see MD with 4 wideouts and a passing game that's dangerous.  But...my old man.. and ex-coach... told me bad conditions always benefit the offensive player because he knows where he's going while the defense has to react.  So that could be devastating to have DB's slipping and Wunderlich having a field day.  Another area to think about it that Linton runs the double wing... lots of side to side running, and pulling.... more opportunity to slip and slide... more ball handling mishaps as well.  So in that category I think Mater Dei benefits.  I suspect there'll be more straight ahead offense if it's really sloshy.  

I agree 100% with "if not this year, when?"   This is one of the best senior classes with junior support and spot a couple sophomores in the mix.  The best over-all team since 2016 for Linton.  I think 2022 looks like another good team, but it will be hard to replace these seniors.  This is the best we've put out there to face Mater Dei in these 4 meetings.  And there have been some dang good teams in 2017-2020 at Linton.  Unfortunately, this is a very good Mater Dei team as well.  

I also agree that I prefer weather not play a role in a game's outcome.  Just like I hope no injuries play a role or a ridiculous flag fest play a role.  We have been without one of our co-captains and solid players on both sides of the ball for the last 3 1/2 games...and I really dont think he will be ready Friday.. .but I hope so...and that he can play 100%.  We have done well without him, but having him is a plus.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jets said:

Roy Willams Field is Sub Par at best? WOW! Where did that come from?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, globemstr3 said:

Always thought it was a well maintained field, it was wet/muddy last year. 

I won't deny that I am happy to be on our turf sideline tomorrow night. Can't help but think of our kids as spoiled...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

Maybe "subpar" was a little harsh - but when it comes to grass fields - HH and South Spencer's Bermuda grass fields are hard to beat. 

I did say that the Roy is a great atmosphere and place to play - but as far as the actual conditions of the field ...ehh, it's just ok for grass. 

• Haha 1

I tell ya what... nobody is talking about the other game in this sectional where North Knox travels to Poseyville to face the Vikings of North Posey. Both 8-2.  The VIkings two losses coming to 8-2 Heritage Hills 35-14 and 8-2 Mt. Vernon 42-14.  The Warriors falling to Linton (10-0) 38-24 and in week 1 to 7-3 Sullivan 35-6.  It looks to me like two teams that do the exact opposite of each other... NK a power running team, NP a wide open pass offense.  I admit not to knowing much about the Vikings other than a brief look at stats but as I take a look again... their QB Bender has 22 passing TDs and over 1800 yards passing....but 16 rush TD;s from a freshman Galvin.  A receiver Lintzenech with 902 receiving and another with 500+ and 2 more at 200+.   North Knox has (2) 1100+ yard rushers with Sheren (19 TDs) and Doades (7 TDs), but QB Lyons can throw (10 TDs 696 yards) but they just don't do it alot... 71 attempts, and when they do... 20 of the 31 catches are to one guy- Doades--who can make big plays all over the field.  The next highest in receiving is with just 5.  By comparison Lintzenech has 65 catches himself for North Posey.  Reidford 38 for 511 and another with 15 catches.  Bender is 113 of 223 with only 8 interceptions.

The VIkings haven't seen 8 wins since 2014 and this season is likely their best since a 10-1 2012 year.  NK has matched their 8 win effort from 2019 which was their best since a 9-3 2014 season.  Their history is heavily dominated by North Posey.  Their last 4 meetings were all in sectional action, and all won by the Vikings decisively: 48-0 in 2006, 71-14 in 2004, 40-0 in 1998 and 40-6 in 1997.  In direct comparison of opponents both have beaten 3-6 Tecumseh (NK 47-6, NP 35-14); 4-6 South Spencer (NK 31-14; NP 14-8); and 1-7 Pike Central (NK 41-20; NP 52-16).  You could maybe spotlight the South Spencer scores but have to consider the NP game was week 1, the same consideration given to the warriors loss to Sullivan by a surprising margin in week 1.  Both teams have had 4 wins against fairly weak opposition. NK beating 1-9 1A Eastern Greene, 3-6 1A Tec , 1-7 3A Pike Central and 2-7 Boonville (although the Pioneers are a 4A school) for a combined 7-29.  North Posey beat the same Tecumseh and Pike Central teams, but 2-8 3A Princeton and 2-6 2A Crawford Co for a combined 9-27.  In other words, they've taken care of business when they are heavily favored.  In games against .500 or better, NK is 0-2, while NP 2-2.  Southridge was 5-5 as was Tell City.  THe Vikings win over Southridge 40-28 was their big win of the year.  They had lost 9 in a row to the Raiders with their last win in 2012.  For the Warriors it had to be their win on the road a 2A 6-2 Paoli 28-20 in week 9.  

According  to Sagarin it is essentially and even matchup.  NK at 56.61  NP at 51.34, and the game being at North Posey pulling that pretty even.  NK has the higher rated schedule strength at 191 versus 204 for the Vikings.  NP plays in the Pocket Athletic Conf, which is split into the Large and Small division.  NP is in the small division with two 3A teams (Southridge and Pike CEntral) and three (2A)s in Forest Park, Tell City and SOuth Spencer.  They faced three foes from  the Large division all 3A schools (Heritage Hills, Mt. Vernon and Princeton).  THe Warriors are in the Southwestern Conference, who consist of 4 small schools, all 1A save for NK, (4-5 North Central, 4-6 North Daviess, and 1-9 Eastern Greene).  THey play long time opponents 3A Sullivan and 2A Linton.  They added 4a Boonville in 2019, altho Covid took that game away in 2020.  Paoli was new to the schedule this year.   

This is quite the Friday lineup for high school football in Sectional 40.  Three 8-2 teams, and an undefeated 10-0 butting horns.  Linton ranked #3/#5 (IFCA/AP), Mater Dei #7/#7, North Posey #13/#13 and North Knox has been in that ranking earlier in the season.  WHen you look at Sectional 39 with 6-2 Paoli at 5-5 Providence, and 3-7 Clarksville at 6-4 Triton Central, Sectional 40 seems loaded.  

I would love to hear opinions on this game.  North Knox is a team that loves to get a score then eat the clock with time consuming marches up and down the field with physicality.  I don't necessarily think they are a come from behind team in terms of being down a couple scores in the 4th quarter.  In NP's losses, the gave up 235 yards rushing to the Patriots, but also threw 5 interceptions.  HH only had one completion in the game but still won. Against Mt.Vernon they got down 28-0 and the Wildats had over 200 in rushing while shutting down the Viking run game.  The Warriors gave up 177 in passing in the loss  to Sullivan, but also 196 in rushing, but again consideration to week one learning curve.  The Miners did pass for 145 in their win over NK, but it was 302 yards rushing and 5 TDs that did the Warriors in.  

what say you the masses?