Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

sectional 40

52 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Neither team could stop the other in the 1st half and other than an opening TD for the Miners to make it 28-27, no one could move the ball much in the 2nd.  Near constant rain made field very slippery, limiting both teams to minimal offense.  No doubt the decision to go for it on 4th and 3 near end of the 1st half near midfield proved unwise.  That score turned out to be the difference in a game that lived up to all the hype.  Congrats to Miners on a great season.  

Cats survive and advance to play winner of NP vs NK...

Yep... the urge to make a point clouded better judgement... taking n unneccessary risk when they were getting the ball to start the 2nd half anyway.... having played MD even in the 1st half..... these two were evenly matched on O.... n the Rain played the best D..... 

Heartbroken for the Miners on this night. I actually picked a very similar score to this..just in favor of Linton. Not that I couldn’t see MD winning…it just felt like the Miners were due. 

But congrats to the Cats. Gonna be a tough one with NP. 

i didn’t realize this…but it’s been since 2005 since north posey has won a sectional?   I remember some very good teams over the years that they have had and I am surprised it’s been this long 

nothing against MD but I’m rooting for North Posey this week. North Posey has just been too good for so many years now that it’s their time to win the sectional

1 minute ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

i didn’t realize this…but it’s been since 2005 since north posey has won a sectional?   I remember some very good teams over the years that they have had and I am surprised it’s been this long 

nothing against MD but I’m rooting for North Posey this week. North Posey has just been too good for so many years now that it’s their time to win the sectional

Interesting, I thought NP recently won a sectional in the past 10 years

2005 was when NP made it to the state title game.  Since then they've run into a whole lotta MD with a side of Southridge and a sprinkle of Linton. MD will be tough to beat in the Bowl coming off a great win on the road at Linton. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Interesting, I thought NP recently won a sectional in the past 10 years

That’s what I thought too but apparently not.  I thought 2011 for sure because I remember them dog walking us at GS and had a phenomenal year…but maybe they ran into MD in the sectional cuz MD was strong too around then and playing at LOS…thought there was a year in like 2016 too or something but I guess not 

What a game between MD and Linton. Just watched the GCSN replay. First off, the broadcast crew is fun to listen to.  Second. I under-estimated Linton. They were a very good team with some athletes. Game came down to just a couple of miscues. Tough way to end a fine season. Must have been a great atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

That’s what I thought too but apparently not.  I thought 2011 for sure because I remember them dog walking us at GS and had a phenomenal year…but maybe they ran into MD in the sectional cuz MD was strong too around then and playing at LOS…thought there was a year in like 2016 too or something but I guess not 

Shoot man- before we got success factored up the last 3 years, Sectional 40 was an absolute meatgrinder. MD, SR, Linton...then you’d always have a NP or TC or someone having a great year. No time to relax ...one of the better 2A sectionals in the State for years and years. 

And I just gotta ask and I’m sorry if it’s a “taboo” subject....but what in the world do you do if you are the QB’s parents?!?

The geographical nearness and so many family ties between the 2 schools has to increase the intensity of this game is imagine 

1 hour ago, jets said:

Shoot man- before we got success factored up the last 3 years, Sectional 40 was an absolute meatgrinder. MD, SR, Linton...then you’d always have a NP or TC or someone having a great year. No time to relax ...one of the better 2A sectionals in the State for years and years. 

And I just gotta ask and I’m sorry if it’s a “taboo” subject....but what in the world do you do if you are the QB’s parents?!?

The geographical nearness and so many family ties between the 2 schools has to increase the intensity of this game is imagine 

Is one of the QBs basically in that area between NP and MD? I didn’t think about it much until now but the two schools are fairly close to each other. 

31 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Is one of the QBs basically in that area between NP and MD? I didn’t think about it much until now but the two schools are fairly close to each other. 

MD’s sophomore QB has a brother that is on NPs team. Some of the MD players live in NP school district. On the flip side some of NPs players attended a MD grade schools and then chose to come to NP for high school. 

MD has grade schools in three counties (Posey, Gibson, Vanderburgh) 

• Like 1
  • Kill me now 1

26 minutes ago, Cappy said:

MD’s sophomore QB has a brother that is on NPs team. Some of the MD players live in NP school district. On the flip side some of NPs players attended a MD grade schools and then chose to come to NP for high school. 

MD has grade schools in three counties (Posey, Gibson, Vanderburgh) 

Both of Wunderlich's parents are MD graduates

Since the Indiana Dept. of Education moved to "School Choice" back in 2008, there has essentially been "open enrollment" among all high schools; public, private, parochial, charter, etc.  The only caveat being that if a student is already enrolled in one high school, that school must approve their transfer to another high school in the same district.    This is the primary reason why you see some students move btwn the different school systems in grade school.  

For some reason, there still seems to be a sense of "ownership" among some folks about kids that live in their district.  On the "near" west side of Evansville, kids live in both the Reitz and Mater Dei "district".   There are kids who attend  catholic grade schools but end up at Reitz (as is the case with several children in my own extended family) and vice versa.  Although, it is rare for a student who attended a west side public grade school to end up at Mater Dei.  

The same situation exists on the "far" west side btwn Mater Dei & North Posey, and, to a lesser extent, MD & Mt Vernon. Both St Wendel & St Philips grade schools feed into MD under the catholic school system.  However, some families live closer to NP or Mt Vernon, so that is where they send their children.   A similar situation exists btwn MD & Gibson Southern with St James, a catholic grade school in Haubstadt.  However, it seems most STJ parents send their kids to Gibson Southern over Mater Dei, likely due to distance.  

There can be many reasons parents choose to send their children to one school over another.  Some seem convinced that when a child moves from the public school system to the parochial school system, it is based on athletics.  This inevitably stirs the "recruitment" accusations.  Certainly athletics can be an important part of any child's high school experience, but I think it is incredibly small-minded for anyone to think these decisions are based on athletics. 

As a past member of the ECIHS Board - think "catholic school board", I was privy to the data & information used to market both MD & Memorial to prospective students.  When you ask parents what their priorities are when choosing a high school, athletics comes in behind things like:  1) Religious based education - which is often code for "disciplined school environment", 2) high academic standards (college prep), 3) teacher engagement, 4) community involvement, followed by 5) "athletic opportunity".

The reality is that for most parents who choose to make the financial commitment to send their children to a parochial school, (remember, even state vouchers do not pay the total cost to attend) they are thinking well beyond athletics to more important like college prep, etc.  

This is why I always chuckle a bit when folks toss out the accusations of "you recruit" at Mater Dei, especially when it comes to football.  Size & speed are among the top 2-3 attributes of most good football players.  Mater Dei rarely has what anyone would consider overwhelming size or blazing speed.  Honestly, if we recruit, we aren't very good at it. 

Edited by MDAlum82
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Since the Indiana Dept. of Education moved to "School Choice" back in 2008, there has essentially been "open enrollment" among all high schools; public, private, parochial, charter, etc.  The only caveat being that if a student is already enrolled in one high school, that school must approve their transfer to another high school in the same district.    This is the primary reason why you see some students move btwn the different school systems in grade school.  

For some reason, there still seems to be a sense of "ownership" among some folks about kids that live in their district.  On the "near" west side of Evansville, kids live in both the Reitz and Mater Dei "district".   There are kids who attend  catholic grade schools but end up at Reitz (as is the case with several children in my own extended family) and vice versa.  Although, it is rare for a student who attended a west side public grade school to end up at Mater Dei.  

The same situation exists on the "far" west side btwn Mater Dei & North Posey, and, to a lesser extent, MD & Mt Vernon. Both St Wendel & St Philips grade schools feed into MD under the catholic school system.  However, some families live closer to NP or Mt Vernon, so that is where they send their children.   A similar situation exists btwn MD & Gibson Southern with St James, a catholic grade school in Haubstadt.  However, it seems most STJ parents send their kids to Gibson Southern over Mater Dei, likely due to distance.  

There can be many reasons parents choose to send their children to one school over another.  Some seem convinced that when a child moves from the public school system to the parochial school system, it is based on athletics.  This inevitably stirs the "recruitment" accusations.  Certainly athletics can be an important part of any child's high school experience, but I think it is incredibly small-minded for anyone to think these decisions are based on athletics. 

As a past member of the ECIHS Board - think "catholic school board", I was privy to the data & information used to market both MD & Memorial to prospective students.  When you ask parents what their priorities are when choosing a high school, athletics comes in behind things like:  1) Religious based education - which is often code for "disciplined school environment", 2) high academic standards (college prep), 3) teacher engagement, 4) community involvement, followed by 5) "athletic opportunity".

The reality is that for most parents who choose to make the financial commitment to send their children to a parochial school, (remember, even state vouchers do not pay the total cost to attend) they are thinking well beyond athletics to more important like college prep, etc.  

This is why I always chuckle a bit when folks toss out the accusations of "you recruit" at Mater Dei, especially when it comes to football.  Size & speed are among the top 2-3 attributes of most good football players.  Mater Dei rarely has what anyone would consider overwhelming size or blazing speed.  Honestly, if we recruit, we aren't very good at it. 

Very well said MDAlum82. Quite frankly, I'm glad we don't recruit. My son probably wouldn't be on the field much at his size if we did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Don’t disagree with any of the above - I just found it strange that one sibling was at one school, while another at the other? Is that a common occurrence that I’m not aware of?? 

Every family has reasons and decisions to make. Just found the split family dynamic interesting 

45 minutes ago, jets said:

Don’t disagree with any of the above - I just found it strange that one sibling was at one school, while another at the other? Is that a common occurrence that I’m not aware of?? 

Every family has reasons and decisions to make. Just found the split family dynamic interesting 

You seen it first hand with a particular OL guy that was at Southridge/Gibson Southern I believe …but I’m not exactly sure the reasoning. I just recall a 2017? Maybe 2018 matchup where one brother went to GS and the other to SR 

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

You seen it first hand with a particular OL guy that was at Southridge/Gibson Southern I believe …but I’m not exactly sure the reasoning. I just recall a 2017? Maybe 2018 matchup where one brother went to GS and the other to SR 

I actually have no idea what you are referring to?? Maybe you can PM me with details?? 

• Like 1

The game was a great battle between 2 good football teams.  Of course... in such a tight game... we could knit pick at it all day.  I think the first score of MD and the last hurt the most.  Both were mental mistakes in the defensive backfield that allowed wide open receivers to score.  You have to make good teams work for it.  Maybe they still make the play... but we weren't even within 5 yards to make it tough.   I felt like Linton won the battle up front.  That is saying something because Ralph & Co. are the real deal on defense.  Ralph made most of his plays when we pulled the man in front of him, failed to reach block him, or on passing downs.  He also was pancaked a time or two, which doesn't happen very often from what I have seen over the last 3 years.  We also got good pressure on the QB on defense.  Personally, I felt like the officials we determined not to throw a holding flag on either team with maybe 2 exceptions.  Rewatching the game... there were plenty to call each time either team passed the ball.  The run game was cleaner.  It wasn't until a Linton player showed an official their ripped jersey late in the 3rd/early 4th that we got a call in our favor.  The only other holding call went against us on an extra point, which was a bad call... especially considering the nature of how they called the rest of the game.  For MD, I felt like Wunderlich was really good at not making a big mistake with pressure.  He hit open receivers on 3rd and long with pressure.  On 2 separate screens we had a DE ready to make a play on the pass... instead he tucked it on one and threw the other to a WR (the lineman downfield penalty).  I've watched him make those throws in previous games and turn it over.  And when it is all said and done... 1 turnover robbed the Miners of a potential 1st half score.   Great game... just wish it was a 1 point win our way.  Good luck to Mater Dei and North Posey in the Sectional Championship.

As for recruiting... open borders and the emergence of travel/aau loyalties have changed the landscape of HS sports.  Neither school has control over the AAU scene or the perception of some parents looking to further their kids athletic prospects (we have lost quite a few kids because they could play earlier elsewhere... less so in football).  Both schools go after good kids to attend their schools... that often means picking up good athletes.  In the case of Linton, most of those kids from other schools... they move into the district.  That is a rural/small town school's issue with getting kids to come to their school.  The drive can be a killer. We also have gained great kids when Dugger closed their doors as a public school and reopened as a struggling charter school... Of course, so have other schools.  I'm guessing that is our highest number of students who don't live within our district.  Currently, we have a lot of successful athletic programs and academic opportunities.. so kids come to Linton.  We lose some too... just like everyone else.  That is the name of the game these days... go after kids to attend your school... or prepare to close your doors.  My one question to most P/P is the type of kids they have walking the halls.  I realize not everyone plays a sport, but public schools get everyone in their district.  That usually means some kids that just drive up your enrollment and provide very little to the school outside of $ to schools.  That isn't to say public schools aren't working to get those kids involved and turn them into success stories, but we are often working against some difficult outside factors.  I can't imagine P/P having the same percentage of those type of kids with their cost of tuition.  

BTW... I don't know of any parents that admit they are moving their kid for sports.... even the ones who with out a doubt moved for athletics.  Not to say it would be #1... but it is always a factor for any family that has a student athlete.

Now for the 2021 Miners... this was a special group of guys.  An undefeated season is always nice, but a deep tournament run was their goal.  I know there is disappointment, but this group has a lot to be proud of.  I'm sure a 2nd round loss will keep them from overtaking the 2015 and 2016 teams in the minds of some of the Miner faithful, but being a small part of both... It would be a whale of a game if those guys squared up against each other.  Those teams may have had a few individuals that were better, but from top to bottom... 2021 would more than hold their own.  In 1A, this team makes a deep run into the tournament... maybe even a State Title.  Next year's team will have to replace some great Seniors, but they also will have almost the whole line back and 3 of the top 5 tacklers on the team.    

23 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

I think more people need to read this. I swear to God they do. Open enrollment doesn’t mean athletic eligibility but some people just don’t get it. 

• Like 2