Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

sectional 40

4 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

How so?  You flip schedules and MD is undefeated and LS likely has 3-4 losses (Jasper, Memorial, Castle and maybe North).

exactly.  I am not about to sit here and pretend my Miners would be 8-0 playing Mater Dei's schedule.  We would have trouble with the constant size, speed and depth just as we do with MD every year.  We have hung with them...but then they get up a couple and we fight uphill.  Losses by 19, 24 and 17 last year.  We cannot have the type of start we did at Reitz Bowl lol... and honestly the defense did a decent job in 2019... but down 30-0 in the 1st half... Interception return TD on play 1, punt return TD, blocked Punt Safety... eesh it was a nightmare.  but the total yardage was 255 to 240 MD.  Last year we just could not cover them...and again.. down 37-0.   2018 at least was 7-7 for awhile til the 'Cats ran off 31 straight points and Linton lost 40-21.   Honestly, I don't think in any of the games we have managed to do much positive offensively.  Most all of Linton's points come in the closing minutes against younger players.  I do think this is Linton's best chance....if we can close out Tell City... but I also understand MD was young last year, and most of the same cast is back this year and better.   

Again, honestly... schedule wise.. who would Mater Dei expect to lose to on our Schedule?  Indeed Southridge has been neck n neck with the Wildcats... and NO I haven't seen anyone other than the Raiders beat the Wildcats in Sect 40.. at least as long as MD has been in 2A I think starting 2009 going 33-3 in Sec 40 play.  As for Linton or anyone else in Sect 40 playing MD's schedule?  Well...I think Central, North and Reitz are down compared to normality... but even so these are pretty big tasks for small 2A.   As for Castle, Memorial and Jasper... those would be monumental wins for my Miners to pull off.  We have scrimmaged Bosse for several years, and hold our own but still have trouble with the speed factor, and I assume Harrison would be same issues.  I mean... I know my Miners would not back down from any opponent, and I know they would go in believing they could win on any night.  But i think week in and out against bigger and faster and more depth always catches up to the small school.  And this doesn't just apply to Linton.. same thing with North Posey, Tell City, North Knox.... course I can't say that with Southridge...because they have shown they can beat MD.    

Not to get into the numbers game... but clearly Mater Dei will field double the players in many cases with the other S40 teams.  When you watch their entire o-line being coached up while the defense is on the field, you can see the advantage of numbers, and one way players.  You know there are guys who could start at any S40 team who are back-ups at MD.  And many times it's just that play makers make the plays.  Ryan Taylor last year made 2 leaping catches that we had defended well...and they were big plays in how the game turned out.  But as has been said a bunch already... We, and anyone, just has to match that talent and play-making.  It's 11 on 11 on any given play.  We've had kids make plays all year, and should we see MD, we would be at home for the 3rd of our 4 meetings...so that excuse can't be used.  You just can't let up for a single play or boom... 7 zip.  and injuries too... that plays a big part come this time of year.

But again.... Linton cannot be thinking past Tell City.  And honestly right now it's South Putnam on the agenda... and this is going to be a really good challenge from what I see of the Eagles.  

1 hour ago, Cappy said:

Sagarin isn't very effective tool to use when a team plays a conference only schedule. Once the post season starts after a few weeks MD's sagarin rating would change quite a bit depending on outcomes of other teams within the SIAC.

My point exactly. If it doesnt fit.

1 hour ago, Miner_Pride said:

exactly.  I am not about to sit here and pretend my Miners would be 8-0 playing Mater Dei's schedule.  We would have trouble with the constant size, speed and depth just as we do with MD every year.  We have hung with them...but then they get up a couple and we fight uphill.  Losses by 19, 24 and 17 last year.  We cannot have the type of start we did at Reitz Bowl lol... and honestly the defense did a decent job in 2019... but down 30-0 in the 1st half... Interception return TD on play 1, punt return TD, blocked Punt Safety... eesh it was a nightmare.  but the total yardage was 255 to 240 MD.  Last year we just could not cover them...and again.. down 37-0.   2018 at least was 7-7 for awhile til the 'Cats ran off 31 straight points and Linton lost 40-21.   Honestly, I don't think in any of the games we have managed to do much positive offensively.  Most all of Linton's points come in the closing minutes against younger players.  I do think this is Linton's best chance....if we can close out Tell City... but I also understand MD was young last year, and most of the same cast is back this year and better.   

Again, honestly... schedule wise.. who would Mater Dei expect to lose to on our Schedule?  Indeed Southridge has been neck n neck with the Wildcats... and NO I haven't seen anyone other than the Raiders beat the Wildcats in Sect 40.. at least as long as MD has been in 2A I think starting 2009 going 33-3 in Sec 40 play.  As for Linton or anyone else in Sect 40 playing MD's schedule?  Well...I think Central, North and Reitz are down compared to normality... but even so these are pretty big tasks for small 2A.   As for Castle, Memorial and Jasper... those would be monumental wins for my Miners to pull off.  We have scrimmaged Bosse for several years, and hold our own but still have trouble with the speed factor, and I assume Harrison would be same issues.  I mean... I know my Miners would not back down from any opponent, and I know they would go in believing they could win on any night.  But i think week in and out against bigger and faster and more depth always catches up to the small school.  And this doesn't just apply to Linton.. same thing with North Posey, Tell City, North Knox.... course I can't say that with Southridge...because they have shown they can beat MD.    

Not to get into the numbers game... but clearly Mater Dei will field double the players in many cases with the other S40 teams.  When you watch their entire o-line being coached up while the defense is on the field, you can see the advantage of numbers, and one way players.  You know there are guys who could start at any S40 team who are back-ups at MD.  And many times it's just that play makers make the plays.  Ryan Taylor last year made 2 leaping catches that we had defended well...and they were big plays in how the game turned out.  But as has been said a bunch already... We, and anyone, just has to match that talent and play-making.  It's 11 on 11 on any given play.  We've had kids make plays all year, and should we see MD, we would be at home for the 3rd of our 4 meetings...so that excuse can't be used.  You just can't let up for a single play or boom... 7 zip.  and injuries too... that plays a big part come this time of year.

But again.... Linton cannot be thinking past Tell City.  And honestly right now it's South Putnam on the agenda... and this is going to be a really good challenge from what I see of the Eagles.  

Going back to 1994 Mater Dei has been in 2A sectional 40 22 times. The only sectional team they have lost to is Southridge 6 times. 

16 minutes ago, sr1 said:

Going back to 1994 Mater Dei has been in 2A sectional 40 22 times. The only sectional team they have lost to is Southridge 6 times. 

If i were Linton... id b looking closely at how those games were won.... i get minor pride sayin.. bigger faster stronger.... (sure dose help!) ... one game at a time.... very old school stuff.... Linton appears to hav a capable Team this yr..... what r they doin to prepare for MD?  Itd b smart to b working on a MD pkg... somethin MD hasnt seen before.... put em on ther heels.... jus seems MD knows what the Minors will do before the Miners do..... they hav their number .... as they say...  RC did it successfully to Lcc awhile back.... turnd a 2-0 stalemate into a win n State Title..... kudos to them

7 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

That's not even close to what I said.  Do I think that Linton could hang with them.  Probably for a while.  Do I think Linton would beat Jasper, Memorial or Castle?  Nope.  Cold they beat North?  Maybe, but I'd favor North for sure.

I think they’d beat 2 out of 4.   People discount small 2A public schools.  Sure we can’t bring the best in from all over Evansville.  But I can guarantee you this.  We’d give you our best shot.  Probably have you on your heels.  And who knows maybe even pull the upset.  Talent doesn’t always beat heart.  Good thing for LINTON is they have the Talent and the Heart.  Guarantee if they meet MD is around 2, it’ll be a lot better than what it has been in the past.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Noble1978 said:

I think they’d beat 2 out of 4.   People discount small 2A public schools.  Sure we can’t bring the best in from all over Evansville.  But I can guarantee you this.  We’d give you our best shot.  Probably have you on your heels.  And who knows maybe even pull the upset.  Talent doesn’t always beat heart.  Good thing for LINTON is they have the Talent and the Heart. 

Love the passion for your team. I watched parts of a couple Miner games this year. MD will have a pretty good size advantage in the trenches.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tango said:

Love the passion for your team. I watched parts of a couple Miner games this year. MD will have a pretty good size advantage in the trenches.

Most teams the Miners face have a size advantage in the trenches.   The key factor here is, most teams don't have the coaching staff the Wildcats have.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 10:46 AM, LawrenceGreene said:

Most teams the Miners face have a size advantage in the trenches.   The key factor here is, most teams don't have the coaching staff the Wildcats have.

I wouldnt get too hung up on size in the trenches .... it can b overcome by quickness n technique on both sides of the ball.... still a firm believer that speed kills ........

MD wins this sectional pretty comfortably.  I think Linton may hang around for most of the 1st half, but MD wears them down in the 2nd half to win comfortably by 2 scores.  I think North Posey comes out of the top half to face MD at the bowl for the title.  MD heads to the regional.

18 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

MD wins this sectional pretty comfortably.  I think Linton may hang around for most of the 1st half, but MD wears them down in the 2nd half to win comfortably by 2 scores.  I think North Posey comes out of the top half to face MD at the bowl for the title.  MD heads to the regional.

You might be right. But in my memory I dont ever recall Linton being worn down in the 2nd half in 45 years. Its generally the opposite if Linton hangs around. Just a thought

Edited by globemstr3

33 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

The Vikings will have to play their best to get by a good North Knox team, if they do that they will be heavy under dogs to MD or Linton. 

14 hours ago, BendNotBreak said:

I wouldnt get too hung up on size in the trenches .... it can b overcome by quickness n technique on both sides of the ball.... still a firm believer that speed kills ........

MD's James Ralph is a big, strong, very very quick young man. Will be a problem for every team they play!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wildcat1992 said:

I don't know that MD wins comfortably. I would like to hope that is correct but I don't believe Linton won't put up a fight. I think they've probably had this on their calendar for a long time after the game last year at their place. 

1 hour ago, globemstr3 said:

You might be right. But in my memory I dont ever recall Linton being worn down in the 2nd half in 45 years. Its generally the opposite if Linton hangs around. Just a thought

Well I wouldn't say worn down is the proper word because the Miners are always well tuned when it comes to being in shape for 4 quarters... but.. I think what has happened in all three meetings with Mater Dei for us is that in two of the three we were in the game thru the first quarter and into the 2nd... but honestly by halftime we were down pretty good...  2018---  7-7 up to the 5:19 mark of 2nd.. then MD sore 2 TD's before the half to lead 19-7 then came out and put 2 more TDs in the 3rd and held Linton to -3 total offense as well.   2019-- now this was the disaster start that had the MD score 8 seconds into the game on an interception return score on the 1st play of the game.  But it stayed 7-0 until 1:09 then 14-0... then a punt return TD.. a blocked puck Safety.. and more importantly the Miner offense could not do anything... and down 30-7 at the half finishing 44-14.   2020-  we played pretty ever in the opening quarter, and even moved the chains better than we had in past meetings, but couldn't sustain the drives.  THen Wunderlich started finding open receivers for big plays...  but it was 0-0 til 2:09 of the 1st... then quickly was 14-0, but the killer score was with 30 seconds before the half that made it 24-0 Wildcats-  Linton played well and even with MD in the 3rd.. 14-13 but we down too far to pose a big threat... 37-20 final.  

1 hour ago, Cappy said:

MD's James Ralph is a big, strong, very very quick young man. Will be a problem for every team they play!

I remember Ralph being a problem in our backfield disrupting many plays .  he was huge at 6'0 265 

6 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Advice to Linton after watching the Boonville film.  Don't come out in the spread against MD.  Do what you do.

I don't think we have such a thing LOL.... I think having 2 wide outs is the extent of our passing formations.... altho one wing may move out in a slot here n there.  

On 10/14/2021 at 12:26 PM, globemstr3 said:

Actually Sagarin ratings see it a little different. But that's right if it doesn't fit the agenda discount it. I get it. LOL

The SIAC plays only in-conference so no way for Sagarin to accurately compare any SIAC team with a non-SIAC team.  Once the SIAC teams begin to play outside the conference, then Sagarin ratings will change.  No way to know exactly how that will affect Sagarin's view of the Miners vs Wildcats but with several SIAC teams showing up in the top 10 of 5A, 4A, & 2A, it seems likely all SIAC teams will see a jump in their ratings once this occurs.  

Tp put it another way, the current Sagarin #s put LS as a 21 pt favorite over MD; 23 if you add 2 pts for home field.  How much would you be willing to bet on that line 'cause I  would gladly cover that for you...all day long.  LOL.

17 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Well I wouldn't say worn down is the proper word because the Miners are always well tuned when it comes to being in shape for 4 quarters... but.. I think what has happened in all three meetings with Mater Dei for us is that in two of the three we were in the game thru the first quarter and into the 2nd... but honestly by halftime we were down pretty good...  2018---  7-7 up to the 5:19 mark of 2nd.. then MD sore 2 TD's before the half to lead 19-7 then came out and put 2 more TDs in the 3rd and held Linton to -3 total offense as well.   2019-- now this was the disaster start that had the MD score 8 seconds into the game on an interception return score on the 1st play of the game.  But it stayed 7-0 until 1:09 then 14-0... then a punt return TD.. a blocked puck Safety.. and more importantly the Miner offense could not do anything... and down 30-7 at the half finishing 44-14.   2020-  we played pretty ever in the opening quarter, and even moved the chains better than we had in past meetings, but couldn't sustain the drives.  THen Wunderlich started finding open receivers for big plays...  but it was 0-0 til 2:09 of the 1st... then quickly was 14-0, but the killer score was with 30 seconds before the half that made it 24-0 Wildcats-  Linton played well and even with MD in the 3rd.. 14-13 but we down too far to pose a big threat... 37-20 final.  

I remember Ralph being a problem in our backfield disrupting many plays .  he was huge at 6'0 265 

I don't think we have such a thing LOL.... I think having 2 wide outs is the extent of our passing formations.... altho one wing may move out in a slot here n there.  

Did you attend the first half of the Boonville game?  This is pretty dog gone spread out for Linton!

image.thumb.png.918c4a7fe9503911cdf017de3f2860ae.png

Edited by Titan32

38 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Did you attend the first half of the Boonville game?  This is pretty dog gone spread out for Linton!

image.thumb.png.918c4a7fe9503911cdf017de3f2860ae.png

well yeah.. for Linton....  but when I see 4 and 5 wide from teams we see... such as Mater Dei... this looks pretty calm! LOL  And yeah... I was there!

54 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Tp put it another way, the current Sagarin #s put LS as a 21 pt favorite over MD; 23 if you add 2 pts for home field.  How much would you be willing to bet on that line 'cause I  would gladly cover that for you...all day long.  LOL.

Well that's a perfect example of how Sagarin numbers would be a struggle in some sectionals with this type of situation.  I image the same thing plays out with other

2A schools that play in larger markets or in leagues where they are in 4A-5A competition all year.  

17 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

16 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Well that's a perfect example of how Sagarin numbers would be a struggle in some sectionals with this type of situation.  I image the same thing plays out with other

2A schools that play in larger markets or in leagues where they are in 4A-5A competition all year.  

The issue with current Sagarin numbers is unique to how they compare schools using their algorithms.  Essentially, if Team A plays Team B, and Team B plays Team C, they can use their formulas to make an "educated guess" how Team A would fare if it played Team C, even though they have not played.  It has nothing to do with teams playing out of their Division; ie when a 2A team plays a 4A team.  When a group of teams only plays within its group, as is the case with the SIAC, there is no way to compare them to the teams outside of that group.   This will fix itself - for the most part - over the next couple of weeks as the SIAC teams begin to play teams outside the SIAC.