Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA Adds New Mercy Rule for Basketball

Muda69

https://www.wlfi.com/content/news/IHSAA-adds-new-mercy-rule-for-high-school-basketball-575511831.html

The Indiana High School Athletic Association voted unanimously on a Mercy Rule for basketball.

Now, if a team is winning by 35 points or more after the first half, a running clock will be in place for the remainder of the game.

The clock will only stop for five reasons.

1) If there is an injury timeout

2) A charged team timeout

3) Intermission between the third and fourth quarters

4) Anytime a foul is called and it results in a free throw

5) Any time officials deem it necessary for safety reasons

The new rule will be in place for this upcoming 2021 through 2022 season for both the boys and the girls.

The running clock will be in all games at all levels of play including the state tournament.

However, the running clock will not be in the state final.

Interesting.  They must like the 35 point number.

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

It does seem to be a weird number. It's a no brainer in football, but baskets are only worth 2 or 3 at a time and not 6 or 7. 35 is a pretty decent spread in BBall. That said, I am not sure what number I would be able to say the rule should be implemented. 

Curious what you might think the number should be......or if there should be one? 

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

It does seem to be a weird number. It's a no brainer in football, but baskets are only worth 2 or 3 at a time and not 6 or 7. 35 is a pretty decent spread in BBall. That said, I am not sure what number I would be able to say the rule should be implemented. 

Curious what you might think the number should be......or if there should be one? 

IMHO Indiana High School basketball doesn't need one.  With no shot clock you can just hold the ball.

• Like 2