Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A tournament talk.

Gibson Southern vs. either The Preppies (Brebeuf for those unwashed) or  West Lafayette at Lucas Oil.  I don’t have a 4th Team.

I’m slightly favoring Brebeuf v West Lafayette simply in 2 weeks because it’s a home game for Brebeuf (and the fact that Brebeuf has played a much more difficult schedule).

As to who wins Thanksgiving Weekend, no idea….but I will be personally favoring one team….IB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Gibson Southern vs. either The Preppies (Brebeuf for those unwashed) or  West Lafayette at Lucas Oil.  I don’t have a 4th Team.

I’m slightly favoring Brebeuf v West Lafayette simply in 2 weeks because it’s a home game for Brebeuf (and the fact that Brebeuf has played a much more difficult schedule).

As to who wins Thanksgiving Weekend, no idea….but I will be personally favoring one team….IB.

I will throw in Danville as an outside contender and Mishawaka Marian as a potential spoiler.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

I spose in a yr wher most hav coceded 6A 5A 4A 2A that leaves 3A n 1A ... as the most competitive.... but after wk 1... pretty much looks like both r 2 horse races w the winner of the sec of death vrs Gibson So... n Luthern vrs Adams Central..... care to name ur 3A dark horse?

If I would have to pick a dark horse.  It's would be either Danville or Tri-west. I believe tri-west would be a little darker.  

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

I don't think they have the extra horse.  That a team needs to make the run.

Mayb... this will b a yr like a Purdue game .... wher everyone n ther brother picks em to lose Big.... n then shake their heads n say .... how da hell did dat happen??   😆

1 minute ago, BendNotBreak said:

Mayb... this will b a yr like a Purdue game .... wher everyone n ther brother picks em to lose Big.... n then shake their heads n say .... how da hell did dat happen??   😆

That's a possibility.  We just never know what's going to happen.  

I certainly wouldn't rule out a run by Marian.  They've played a tough schedule and a bunch of larger schools and appear to have improved from when I saw them play earlier in the year.  They also have one of the top playmakers in 3A in Greg Atkinson.  I wouldn't be that surprised if they beat Brebeuf or West Lafayette.  I'm certainly expecting them to play one of those two and I don't think they'll be in over their heads in that matchup.  

In the south, I'm going with Danville.  I hope Gibson Southern plays up to their lofty ranking but want to see them go to state sometime before I predict it to happen.  

At the end of the day, most are probably expecting a matchup of 2 future Boilermakers with Strickland chasing Allen around on Thanksgiving weekend.

• Like 1

To put 3A north in contex.... all time.... WL is 3-2 in Title games... the 2 Ls being dealt by Chatard..... MM hasnt been ther since they petitiond up from 1A to win 2A in 1975 n 1976... in a 3 class system... n havnt been seen since.... The Preppies resume has been... bridesmaids twice recently... 3 n 4 yrs apart .. if they return again this yr... a 3rd time to State could very well b the charm for them...... n they've knocked out WL before.... if the River Rats do manage to get past the Jesuits.... i think the odds for ensuing kaos become slightly higher in the north....  Danville being the most likly culprit..... 

32 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

To put 3A north in contex.... all time.... WL is 3-2 in Title games... the 2 Ls being dealt by Chatard..... MM hasnt been ther since they petitiond up from 1A to win 2A in 1975 n 1976... in a 3 class system... n havnt been seen since.... The Preppies resume has been... bridesmaids twice recently... 3 n 4 yrs apart .. if they return again this yr... a 3rd time to State could very well b the charm for them...... n they've knocked out WL before.... if the River Rats do manage to get past the Jesuits.... i think the odds for ensuing kaos become slightly higher in the north....  Danville being the most likly culprit..... 

Your statement regarding Marian may be true but also ignores the fact they were almost inarguably the second best team in 3A just last season and was the only team to come within 10 points of Chatard in the tournament.  They aren't the same team as last season, but they have been one of the better programs in the class over the last six seasons.  6 straight sectionals and 4 regionals in that stretch.  Their 4 semi-state losses were to West Lafayette, Brebeuf, and Chatard twice.  Two of those losses were by less than a touchdown.  They haven't reached the summit but they're knocking on the door.  I'm not sure they are better than Brebeuf this season but I've certainly seen bigger upsets happen.  It's not like we're talking about Crawfordsville or something.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XStar said:

Your statement regarding Marian may be true but also ignores the fact they were almost inarguably the second best team in 3A just last season and was the only team to come within 10 points of Chatard in the tournament.  They aren't the same team as last season, but they have been one of the better programs in the class over the last six seasons.  6 straight sectionals and 4 regionals in that stretch.  Their 4 semi-state losses were to West Lafayette, Brebeuf, and Chatard twice.  Two of those losses were by less than a touchdown.  They haven't reached the summit but they're knocking on the door.  I'm not sure they are better than Brebeuf this season but I've certainly seen bigger upsets happen.  It's not like we're talking about Crawfordsville or something.  

I hear ya X.... ur not wrong... its a great resume to include em as a dark horse....  jus dont hav em on my short list.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BendNotBreak said:

Why are we citing 40+ year old stats regarding potential high school football contests among current 15-18 year old kids?

Seems bizarre.

Edited by temptation

25 minutes ago, temptation said:

I LOVE history.  It transcends generations of the sport.

I also understand that it has ZERO to do with the outcome of the upcoming games you are speaking of.

Gotcha... yes..... the kids make their own history.... did a poor job conveying that.... would disagree that it has zero to do with the present....  many a coach has used say... tradition ... for inspiration..... one of those.... intangibles im fond of......

1 hour ago, BendNotBreak said:

Gotcha... yes..... the kids make their own history.... did a poor job conveying that.... would disagree that it has zero to do with the present....  many a coach has used say... tradition ... for inspiration..... one of those.... intangibles im fond of......

Maybe I’d get on board if you were taking about history that involved either coach or member of the coaching staff being involved in said history.

But I just can’t.

16 minutes ago, temptation said:

Maybe I’d get on board if you were taking about history that involved either coach or member of the coaching staff being involved in said history.

But I just can’t.

Well.... peeps hav no idea ... not even an inkling of what MM did.... but i do....