Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

1A Tournament Discussion

57 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

This was the visiting band and they were in the state finals so they didn’t suck. I swear to God they 

Thx! think they got new unies the next yr.... Said baloon bandits were caught n killed... N no not me... said bros were the CBs ... had high motors... lil frame's... went on to win a National Title w the Lil Giants.... each had a pic vrs said WRC team... who had one Ace reciever... Kevin sometin... (dont let that kid get loose)...qb was Scot sometin ... kid could run... a pass to said ace...burned one of said bros seconds before the half for 42yrds ...led to only teddie... assume u one of those two....  said infringement musta happend in 1st half as that team was shut down in the 2nd half w 3  1st downs... goin for it on 4th n short at ther own 40 in 1st Q cost said team a TD .. was a hard hittin game ... knocked out a Lcc inside LB in the 1st half.... nope...wadnt me either... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Thx! think they got new unies the next yr.... Said baloon bandits were caught n killed... N no not me... said bros were the CBs ... had high motors... lil frame's... went on to win a National Title w the Lil Giants.... each had a pic vrs said WRC team... who had one Ace reciever... Kevin sometin... (dont let that kid get loose)...qb was Scot sometin ... kid could run... a pass to said ace...burned one of said bros seconds before the half for 42yrds ...led to only teddie... assume u one of those two....  said infringement musta happend in 1st half as that team was shut down in the 2nd half w 3  1st downs... goin for it on 4th n short at ther own 40 in 1st Q cost said team a TD .. was a hard hittin game ... knocked out a Lcc inside LB in the 1st half.... nope...wadnt me either... 

Thanx for the comment, Mitchell!   Always good to get Donnie in check!  

53 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Thanx for the comment, Mitchell!   Always good to get Donnie in check!  

That yr was well documented.... said team was also said.. (mayb Donnie knows if it true)... to hav a lineman that supposedly had a D1 ride in the BiG.... but hey... the WRC is full of those every yr.... 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BendNotBreak said:

That yr was well documented.... said team was also said.. (mayb Donnie knows if it true)... to hav a lineman that supposedly had a D1 ride in the BiG.... but hey... the WRC is full of those every yr.... 😉

I don’t know of any D1 linemen. Several D3 players including the QB. 12 letters at Wabash in 3 sports. Made Sports Illustrated for his academic/athletic achievements. I gotta go. 

26 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

I don’t know of any D1 linemen. Several D3 players including the QB. 12 letters at Wabash in 3 sports. Made Sports Illustrated for his academic/athletic achievements. I gotta go. 

OMG.... 4 faternity bros..... didnt get around my edge.... 😆

10 hours ago, BendNotBreak said:

I couldnt turn down a free ride at PU..... as son of n employee...  😄

Your folks probably told you what I tell my kids when they ask if they HAVE to go to Purdue for college: "You can go anywhere you want as long as my part is the part that I would have had at Purdue with my employee remission and you living at home."

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Your folks probably told you what I tell my kids when they ask if they HAVE to go to Purdue for college: "You can go anywhere you want as long as my part is the part that I would have had at Purdue with my employee remission and you living at home."

Not quite.... living on campus is part of the college experiance... pony up old man..... but PU wasnt so cheap then... tuition was free... huge ....

On 10/15/2021 at 10:43 AM, foxbat said:

What's going to be interesting is what 1A will look like with AC in 2A along with, likely Winamac bouncing back to 2A next go-round due to enrollment.  Assuming LCC and Pioneer hang on to staying in 2A, that takes out plenty of the more recent contenders along with size.  Covenant Christian may well end up 2A via enrollment as well.  All they need is a regional to be bumped up, but they are facing off against Lutheran in sectionals and I think that Lutheran is the odds-on-favorite to not only win that sectional but also represent the south at LOS this season.

Of the "power" teams left, that leaves Lutheran with no chance of worrying about enrollment bump up and, having lost to Covenant Christian in sectionals has no worry about being SF'd even with a blue ring.  'busco and South Adams ... although enrollment could creep on them as well ... and up-and-comer Parke Heritage would remain in 1A as the power trio in 1A. 

Of interest is, of all the schools listed here, outside of Lutheran, LCC and Pioneer are the smallest.

I was told Winamac's current enrollment is around 385 to 395..guess they had a small senior class leave that was replaced by a bigger freshman class and quite a few new kids. 

Edited by WalterSobchak

On 10/14/2021 at 10:46 PM, Basementbias said:

The competition in conference was much better. See Southern Wells and Heritage as you probably know. Also the offensive philosophy we played under wasn't to score 50. It was to grind it out in a long physical & methodical approach. I remember coach telling us in 06 why he was adamant about which direction we would go in the 4th quarter vs SW. SW had to convert a 4th down near mid field to keep their chances alive in the sectional final. There is/was a slight slope and they were going uphill. Biggest play of the game and he's explaining to us underclassmen all of this. Everyone knows that the FB was getting the ball for SW, just if he could be stopped or not. Just before SW breaks the huddle he says something to the effect the FB's tired legs will have trouble getting up that hill with the defense we have called. Sure enough he got stuffed which wasn't normal for him. From that point on, I always felt he was more concerned with time of possession and giving body blows on offense and letting our defense win the game. Also think it was he could then sub more defensive guys into the game as well to limit the wear and tear of the 2 way guys.

Sounds a lot like Winamac this year.

The scores won't wow you at all but they are a solid team. They grind it out, slowly and methodically and their defense does the work, some people call their offense "vanilla" but watching them a couple times I think they realize they are good enough to beat teams by keeping it simple and not trying to show teams like North Judson and Culver (two sectional opponents) too much. 

North Judson moved a few guys around and are getting better each week...if they hit on their passing. They are tough. 

AC survives Churubusco. Busco exposed AC weaknesses. I'd have MC as a favorite at this point. Hope I'm wrong, but AC has work to do against tough opponents. 

40 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

AC survives Churubusco. Busco exposed AC weaknesses. I'd have MC as a favorite at this point. Hope I'm wrong, but AC has work to do against tough opponents. 

This statement completely underestimates how good Busco is. May not have been your intention, but that’s how it seems. That team was as tough as Eastside physically. Busco would likely win every sectional in the north outside of #44. To downgrade AC after beating an extremely tough team - a team that took Eastside to the wire - seems like an overreaction. 

Are there things that need to be worked on? Of course. But I’d venture to say every team in the win column tonight would say the same thing. 

28 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

This statement completely underestimates how good Busco is. May not have been your intention, but that’s how it seems. That team was as tough as Eastside physically. Busco would likely win every sectional in the north outside of #44. To downgrade AC after beating an extremely tough team - a team that took Eastside to the wire - seems like an overreaction. 

Are there things that need to be worked on? Of course. But I’d venture to say every team in the win column tonight would say the same thing. 

I think in your post you are also underestimating Monroe Central, Winamac and North Judson. All three of those teams are very very good. 

13 minutes ago, WalterSobchak said:

I think in your post you are also underestimating Monroe Central, Winamac and North Judson. All three of those teams are very very good. 

You may be right. I’ve seen MC and Winamac play. Not NJ. I’d still stand by my statement based on what I’ve seen. 

2 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

You may be right. I’ve seen MC and Winamac play. Not NJ. I’d still stand by my statement based on what I’ve seen. 

When did you see Winamac play? 

Winamac's team this season reminds me a lot of the 2013 Tri Central squad that won state. 

They are big upfront, pretty athletic up there too. They have a balanced running attack with QB, FB and both wings getting touches. Their QB can throw it too (threw for 1k as a freshman and sophomore) and threw all over CC last season but Winamac has the type of offense that if they can just keep it simple and beat you they will.  That's why they don't drop 60 on teams. Coach John Hendryx doesn't like doing that and does a great job at rotating his 2nd string kids. They could have beat WC 70-0 tonight or Caston a few weeks ago but didn't. 

Winamac doesn't have the "stars" that the 2013 or 2014 teams did but they are better coached, have more depth and instead of having 3/4 studs, they have 4 really talented kids and 7 or 8 pretty solid kids. 

North Judson's defense is really good. Their offense can be a bit shaky but their main studs Cheyanne Allen and Aldric Harper are very good...along with Owen and Quinton Frasure on D. They got Brennen Benson up front and he's a solid OL/DL.  Their passing game isn't super strong but if Harper gets the time, he can throw it. Allen and Senior Kason Sanchez are both capable receivers. 

Edited by WalterSobchak
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

Busco was good & physical, but they too were predictable on offense. If both teams are going to be that predictable, then you better be sure that you can impose your will. This has been the problem for AC's offense for years. I had to use some other plays & formations at the lower levels as teams were prepared for the same plays we run in HS. The size & physicality MC has on the lines is a threat along with their skill players being able to run or pass. AC's pads game was non existing last night and that's a problem. 

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

Busco was good & physical, but they too were predictable on offense. If both teams are going to be that predictable, then you better be sure that you can impose your will. This has been the problem for AC's offense for years. I had to use some other plays & formations at the lower levels as teams were prepared for the same plays we run in HS. The size & physicality MC has on the lines is a threat along with their skill players being able to run or pass. AC's pads game was non existing last night and that's a problem. 

Is Blake Heyerly for 137 yards on 28 carries against that tough defense not imposing their will? They knew he was getting the ball the entire 2nd half and couldn’t stop it. In terms of “predictability”, every team has tendencies. You can use tendencies to your advantage if you are aware of them (see the QB keepers where Black ran free for big yards after pounding Heyerly up the middle). I do agree the passing game needs to improve, but the Jets won’t pass more than 3 times if the fullback is getting 5 yards a carry regardless  

The community appreciates your support of the youth program, but with all due respect, your experience in play calling at that level can’t be assumed to be the same experience at the HS level. 

7 hours ago, WalterSobchak said:

When did you see Winamac play? 

Winamac's team this season reminds me a lot of the 2013 Tri Central squad that won state. 

They are big upfront, pretty athletic up there too. They have a balanced running attack with QB, FB and both wings getting touches. Their QB can throw it too (threw for 1k as a freshman and sophomore) and threw all over CC last season but Winamac has the type of offense that if they can just keep it simple and beat you they will.  That's why they don't drop 60 on teams. Coach John Hendryx doesn't like doing that and does a great job at rotating his 2nd string kids. They could have beat WC 70-0 tonight or Caston a few weeks ago but didn't. 

Winamac doesn't have the "stars" that the 2013 or 2014 teams did but they are better coached, have more depth and instead of having 3/4 studs, they have 4 really talented kids and 7 or 8 pretty solid kids. 

North Judson's defense is really good. Their offense can be a bit shaky but their main studs Cheyanne Allen and Aldric Harper are very good...along with Owen and Quinton Frasure on D. They got Brennen Benson up front and he's a solid OL/DL.  Their passing game isn't super strong but if Harper gets the time, he can throw it. Allen and Senior Kason Sanchez are both capable receivers. 

I saw the Culver game, but I will admit that a single game sample size isn’t enough to judge how they’d stack up against Busco. I think I was coming off the high of the win last night! Winamac looked huge in that game and that size/physicality will be tough for anyone to deal with. The Winamac vs. North Judson matchup should be a fun one! 

Edited by FlyingHigh

53 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

Is Blake Heyerly for 137 yards on 28 carries against that tough defense not imposing their will? They knew he was getting the ball the entire 2nd half and couldn’t stop it. In terms of “predictability”, every team has tendencies. You can use tendencies to your advantage if you are aware of them (see the QB keepers where Black ran free for big yards after pounding Heyerly up the middle). I do agree the passing game needs to improve, but the Jets won’t pass more than 3 times if the fullback is getting 5 yards a carry regardless  

The community appreciates your support of the youth program, but with all due respect, your experience in play calling at that level can’t be assumed to be the same experience at the HS level. 

Maybe Heyerly imposing his will, but the line sure didn't. That was evident with Newy and Currie's stats. Not saying any play calling at youth or middle school is equivalent to high school, but the offense is easy to slow down like Busco did. There isn't much to deviate because of the formation.  How much will Heyerly have left in the tank if it has to be that way each week? Really Black only had one keeper that went for yardage. That was snuffed out as well. Black is going to have to stay in and deliver the ball in the pocket. We need more than just Heyerly to be able to get his own yards. The conference did us no favors to prepare us for the playoffs. It would be nice to get more formations to put in the offense. 

17 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

The AC Busco game played out per the Sagarin ratings.  #2 vs #3.  Was supposed to be a 14 pt game.  The rest of the games are AC -21.

Don't get me wrong, they won and that's all that matters. On to Southwood and hopefully another win.

13 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

I saw the Culver game, but I will admit that a single game sample size isn’t enough to judge how they’d stack up against Busco. I think I was coming off the high of the win last night! Winamac looked huge in that game and that size/physicality will be tough for anyone to deal with. The Winamac vs. North Judson matchup should be a fun one! 

Culver usually gives Winamac issues. 

The T formation is tough to stop at times, Culver also does a pretty good job at taking their time and usually using the play and game clock to their advantage when its tied or when they are up. Its when they get behind a score or two they are in trouble cause they don't throw very well.

Winamac had also missed the two previous weeks. 

It'll be a battle this week and an uphill battle for Winamac if the Warriors get to Semi State. Monroe Central and Adams Central are both solid teams. 

• Like 1