Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week 9 - Best Games in the Region / Michiana / Northeast Indiana

Work has been crazy for me this week so I haven't been as active and the below write up won't be quite as in depth as previous weeks, but here are what I see being the top 5 matchups in northern Indiana tonight:

#1 Warsaw (7-1) at Concord (7-1): I admit I am biased in picking this one as the best game this week. Both teams are 6-0 in the NLC and the winner claims the outright conference championship. Warsaw is looking to win back-to-back NLC championships for the first time since 3-peating from 1999-2001, while Concord looks to add another conference championship this new millenium. The Minutemen have won at least a share of 9 NLC titles since 2000 (most of school in the conference). Will be a battle of contradicting offensive styles with Warsaw's "Bart Ball" ground game and Concord's impressive aerial assault.

#2 FW Snider (6-1) at FW Bishop Luers (8-0): Others could certainly say this is the best game in the north part of the state this week, and I wouldn't argue. Luers is looking to cap off an undefeated regular season and their first SAC title since sharing in 2014. But in order to do so, they'll have to knock of the red-hot Panthers. The Knights have not beaten Snider since 2011! Can they get it done this week and claim ownership of The Bell?

#3 Calumet (6-2) at Hanover Central (7-1): The Greater South Shore South Division title is on the line tonight. The Wildcats have absolutely destroyed their conference opponents this year, outscoring Wheeler, Griffith and Whiting by a score of 176-20. Can the Warriors upend them? Calumet has won back-to-back North Division titles, while Hanover Central is going for it's second conference title in history (2016).

#4 Chesterton (6-2) at Merrillville (8-0): A potential Regional preview? The Pirates look to go undefeated in the regular season and win the DAC outright. They'll have to face a stifling Trojans defense. Should be a great matchup with Merrillville's high scoring offense (44 ppg) against Chesterton's defense (8 ppg).

#5 North Judson (6-2) at Pioneer (6-2): In the 6 years since the Hoosier North conference was created, there has only been 1 school awarded a conference title... Pioneer. The Panthers had not lost an HNAC game from 2015-2020 until Winamac upended them in Week 2 of this season. The Blue Jays are seeking their first conference championship in school history, as prior to joining the HNAC in 2015, they were an independent. Nothing like being 6-0 in conference play and having to overcome the KING in the final battle!

2 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

#5 North Judson (6-2) at Pioneer (6-2): In the 6 years since the Hoosier North conference was created, there has only been 1 school awarded a conference title... Pioneer. The Panthers had not lost an HNAC game from 2015-2020 until Winamac upended them in Week 2 of this season. The Blue Jays are seeking their first conference championship in school history, as prior to joining the HNAC in 2015, they were an independent. Nothing like being 6-0 in conference play and having to overcome the KING in the final battle!

Great writeup as always @NLCTigerFan07!  A couple of notes on this contest.  Technically this won't be for the conference title as no title will be awarded this year.  As was the case in 2020, since all conference games were not played, the league will choose not to declare a conference champ.  If Judson wins, they will finish the season 6-0 in conference play, but will not have played Winamac, who is likely to finish league play at 5-0 (if they beat Triton tonight) after having to cancel two conference matchups earlier in the season.  

Last year Pioneer finished conference play 5-0, but did not play Winamac or LaVille.  They were unquestionably the best team in the conference but were not awarded the trophy.  It's unfortunate that in 2021 we have 2 teams that could give the Panthers a run for their money, but - even if unbeaten in conference play - won't really get a chance to declare themselves the best due to this danged COVID thing.

• Like 2

Can’t speak for the rest, but in the Region, I expect Merrillville and Hanover to win big. Chesterton really disappointed me last week losing to a solid but unspectacular Crown Point team. If they were serious threats to Merrillville that game should’ve been a blowout. Chris Mullen is a stud and the Trojan defense is stingy but I’ll take the Pirates by 3 TDs. As for the other game, in my opinion Hanover has established themselves as a darkhorse in 3A north, and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they made a run to the semi state. The competition hasn’t been great, but boasting the top scoring offense in 3A along with a top 5 scoring defense is certainly impressive. Calumet has a nice defense, but they haven’t played a team with even half the firepower Hanover has. I’ll take the Wildcats by 4 TDs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

#2 FW Snider (6-1) at FW Bishop Luers (8-0): Others could certainly say this is the best game in the north part of the state this week, and I wouldn't argue. Luers is looking to cap off an undefeated regular season and their first SAC title since sharing in 2014. But in order to do so, they'll have to knock of the red-hot Panthers. The Knights have not beaten Snider since 2011! Can they get it done this week and claim ownership of The Bell?

This game is massive. Luers has a chance to win their first outright conference championship since 2011, a decade ago, their 4th since 2000. Snider has a chance to win their first since 2017, and their 8th of the new millennium. Luers has one of the best aerial attacks in the state, and one of the best quarterback to boot. They've been solid since week one. Snider has a massive offensive line, a bruising running back, and have only gotten hotter as each week has come. Tonight's game, which is being played on a natural surface, will be determined by the weather. If things can dry up by game time, and Luers has the chance to throw the ball all night, Snider's secondary will have their work cut out for them. Might come down to whoever has the ball last. It the rain persists, however, Snider's run game should tear up Luers, and the Panther's front 7 should be able to corral Carson Clark. Even though I am a Snider fan, something inside of me wouldn't be upset if the 2A school won the SAC. Anyone who isn't watching this game is going to miss a good one.

Edited by CLKeller16
Spelling, added info

Good work! Thanks to the effort you put into your Top 5 each week. I'm especially intrigued by the first two mainly due to proximity.

I'm pulling for the Tigers tonight. I feel like a loss will put a bit of a damper on what they bring to Sectional 3. A win tonight solidifies them as a major contender to take the Sectional. I like Warsaw tonight by 7.

Snider vs Luers is a monster. We normally don't get to say that since Luers is a 2a school. But let's be honest, they are playing 6/5A caliber football. It looks to be a dry night so the Knights passing attack will be in full swing. Snider needs to grind it out, run down the clock, and hope for a few defensive stops. This one could go either way. May the best team win.