Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2021 State Championship Games

2 hours ago, TheDoctor22 said:

We really don't know how much better Chatard is since the first match up. Like you said, they've beaten some bad teams, as they should have.

I would obviously love to see Chatard win the rematch, but I just don't see how they make up for the size/talent difference. Roncalli literally has a D1 offensive line. The first game felt like Chatard kept it as close as they could. 

Hope I'm wrong, but I think Chatard has a much better chance next year.

I don’t think my feeling’s have changed much about Chatard all year.  Over the first four games, they played the most difficult schedule in the State of Indiana up to that point - Brebeuf, Warren Central, Roncalli and Cathedral.  That was supported by BOTH Sagarin and CalPreps.  

Other than the Cathedral game, they were very competitive in the other games (they even lead a good part of the Warren game).  In retrospect, I think they should have won the Brebeuf game but 4-5 turnovers against a great team is almost always terminal.  I think they win that game today.  

I was never disappointed in this team’s record knowing just what they had been through those first four games.  The fact is, after the Warren and Roncalli games, I was really impressed with them.  Most teams their size would have huddled in a fetal position and taken the expected beat down.  These kid’s didn’t.  They gave back as good as they got.  

This is a solid Chatard team and as good as the majority of their prior State Champion teams…but, admittedly, not quite up to the mark of, arguably, two of the better Chatard teams ever that we witnessed the last couple of years.

I stand behind my observation some weeks back when they were 0-4 and I asked that, other than Roncalli, what other 4A team in Indiana could have survived those first four games let alone have been competitive in three of them?  I didn’t think there was another 4A team then (other than Roncalli) and my opinion hasn’t changed since.  In fact, I think that Chatard has likely improved comparatively more than any of those teams they played in their early losses.

I still believe Roncalli is at another level vs. the rest of 4A this year - but I also think that Chatard is the second best team in 4A this year and has an outside shot at them.  God knows, no one else in 4A has fought the wars these kids did early on and they’ve earned a ton of respect from me in watching them (not that they needed it).

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I don’t think my feeling’s have changed much about Chatard all year.  Over the first four games, they played the most difficult schedule in the State of Indiana up to that point - Brebeuf, Warren Central, Roncalli and Cathedral.  That was supported by BOTH Sagarin and CalPreps.  

Other than the Cathedral game, they were very competitive in the other games (they even lead a good part of the Warren game).  In retrospect, I think they should have won the Brebeuf game but 4-5 turnovers against a great team is almost always terminal.  I think they win that game today.  

I was never disappointed in this team’s record knowing just what they had been through those first four games.  The fact is, after the Warren and Roncalli games, I was really impressed with them.  Most teams their size would have huddled in a fetal position and taken the expected beat down.  These kid’s didn’t.  They gave back as good as they got.  

This is a solid Chatard team and as good as the majority of their prior State Champion teams…but, admittedly, not quite up to the mark of, arguably, two of the better Chatard teams ever that we witnessed the last couple of years.

I stand behind my observation some weeks back when they were 0-4 and I asked that, other than Roncalli, what other 4A team in Indiana could have survived those first four games let alone have been competitive in three of them?  I didn’t think there was another 4A team then (other than Roncalli) and my opinion hasn’t changed since.  In fact, I think that Chatard has likely improved comparatively more than any of those teams they played in their early losses.

I still believe Roncalli is at another level vs. the rest of 4A this year - but I also think that Chatard is the second best team in 4A this year and has an outside shot at them.  God knows, no one else in 4A has fought the wars these kids did early on and they’ve earned a ton of respect from me in watching them (not that they needed it).

If you look at the scores, EC and Chatard are the only 4A teams that have played within 3TDs of Roncalli the past two seasons.  

17 hours ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

6A: Center Grove over whoever 

5A: Cathedral over Snider or Valpo

4A: Roncalli over (Insert opp. Here)

3A: Brebeuf/WL winner Gibson Southern 

2A: Linton-Stockton over Andrean

1A: Lutheran over Monroe Central

Best of luck and God Bless to all teams this postseason!! 🙏🏼

Looks like someone is taking up the slack of ol' Panama Hat from back in your playing days !  

3 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

If you look at the scores, EC and Chatard are the only 4A teams that have played within 3TDs of Roncalli the past two seasons.  

I’m an EC fan having competed against them in HS.  Honestly, if they were in the Indy area, they would be on the tip of everybody’s tongue as to being a perennial power (same could be said about Lawrenceburg in 3A, btw)   They just happen to be tucked away alone in the SE corner of the state and only talked about in the Cincy media.  They are a threat every year in 4A.

24 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I’m an EC fan having competed against them in HS.  Honestly, if they were in the Indy area, they would be on the tip of everybody’s tongue as to being a perennial power (same could be said about Lawrenceburg in 3A, btw)   They just happen to be tucked away alone in the SE corner of the state and only talked about in the Cincy media.  They are a threat every year in 4A.

Their post season success is as good as anyone south of the Indy metro area.  

20 hours ago, MarkCalaway said:

6A:  Center Grove over Westfield

5A:  Cathedral over Valparaiso

4A:  Leo over Roncalli

3A:  Gibson Southern over West Lafayette

2A: Luers over Linton-Stockton

1A:  Lutheran over Adams Central

What say you?

6A:  Center Grove over Merrillville 

5A:  Cathedral over Snider

4A:  Roncalli over Leo

3A:  Brebeuf over Gibson Southern

2A:  Luers over Linton

1A:  Adams Central over Lutheran

9 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

I agree, but honestly shocked to see you take Merrillville coming out of the north

I just have a feeling.  Could be completely wrong or maybe I’m letting my desire for fresh blood cloud my judgment.

I’ve definitely come around on Merrillville.

Edited by temptation

12 minutes ago, temptation said:

I just have a feeling.  Could be completely wrong or maybe I’m letting my desire for fresh blood cloud my judgment.

I’ve definitely come around on Merrillville.

It's hard to deny that Merrillville looked VERY good against a solid Valpo team. I still like Westfield though. The Rocks are battle tested and prepared for anything the north has to offer. It would be fun to see new blood though :).........pulling for the Pirates. 

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

It's hard to deny that Merrillville looked VERY good against a solid Valpo team. I still like Westfield though. The Rocks are battle tested and prepared for anything the north has to offer. It would be fun to see new blood though :).........pulling for the Pirates. 

I think I actually like Westfield too honestly but have to pick an upset here or there.

Merrillville is definitely the underdog but not by as much of a margin as I would’ve said at the beginning of the season.

I know it’s an Internet forum and social media doesn’t necessarily represent reality but one would have to think that those kids in Northwest Indiana are tired of being dismissed and disrespected.

I think they play with a chip on their shoulder.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

I think I actually like Westfield too honestly but have to pick an upset here or there.

Merrillville is definitely the underdog but not by as much of a margin as I would’ve said at the beginning of the season.

I know it’s an Internet forum and social media doesn’t necessarily represent reality but one would have to think that those kids in Northwest Indiana are tired of being dismissed and disrespected.

I think they play with a chip on their shoulder.

And last year they got a good taste of what it takes to be a champion in playing Chatard and Westfield. Maybe getting waxed by those teams was just what they needed. We know they have the talent, but are they determined enough to play tough, central Indiana football? I think.....................yes

16 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

He's Maximus!

I can’t help but chuckling and thinking of a certain scene in “Life of Brian” reading this.

Nothing to do with the player (I’m sure he’s a great kid)….just the “Latin”.

Edited by Lysander
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

I can’t help but chuckling and thinking of a certain scene in “Life of Brian” reading this.

Nothing to do with the player (I’m sure he’s a great kid)….just the “Latin”.

Great reference. 

‘Are you not entertained?’ Would also be an acceptable answer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

Looks like someone is taking up the slack of ol' Panama Hat from back in your playing days !  

The Miners are undefeated and on a mission. Andrean has played one of the toughest schedules up in the region. Luers definitely has a great opportunity to get to State this year, I just feel it’s one of the more tougher roads. 

8 hours ago, BTF said:

And last year they got a good taste of what it takes to be a champion in playing Chatard and Westfield. Maybe getting waxed by those teams was just what they needed. We know they have the talent, but are they determined enough to play tough, central Indiana football? I think.....................yes

Bah..humbug..give me carmel out the north..if two mic teams make 6a finals then so be it..does not seem right that the passage to los for 6a north does not go through carmel..ig Westfield has taken the helm..yet even the rocks aren't sporting that 5k student challenge..for giggles ill take Carroll or warsaw..Dinan or bart ball..

2 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

Bah..humbug..give me carmel out the north..if two mic teams make 6a finals then so be it..does not seem right that the passage to los for 6a north does not go through carmel..ig Westfield has taken the helm..yet even the rocks aren't sporting that 5k student challenge..for giggles ill take Carroll or warsaw..Dinan or bart ball..

3 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

One Indy team replaced with another. Two programs of equal caliber in recent seasons. One goes south, the other bumps up from 5a. It's a wash. 

24 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

Carmel is in the South. Only one MIC team can make it to State.