Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2021 State Championship Games

Just now, temptation said:

I think it’s fair to say that this is Westfield’s best team in school history, no?

Probably.  Personally, I think they have been roughly equal with Carmel the last couple of years.  

With that, I was just confirming that they have not defeated Carmel at least as far as Harrell’s records going back to 1994.

47 minutes ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

I think Hamilton Southeastern has a better chance of beating Westfield in the tournament than Merrillville does.

I think HSE definitely has a chance. Merrillville is real tough up in the region and is rolling right now. Westfield wouldn’t see Merrillville until semi-state I believe so HSE has first crack. (In sectional I believe) Westfield by no means is a foregone conclusion in 6A North. 

9 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

I think Hamilton Southeastern has a better chance of beating Westfield in the tournament than Merrillville does.

Honestly? No one really knows the answer to that question. All we are really doing is going by last years results. 

9 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

I could very well see this also being true.

The one certainty is that those teams in line to get stomped by Center Grove are separated by a razor thin margin.

Merrillville is still getting punished (maybe rightfully so) in people’s minds due to getting trucked last year.  The only way they change that narrative is to get to Lucas Oil.

I think all five 6A teams mentioned here are better than they were in 2020 and Westfield was the closest to CG at 24 points in the state title game.

16 minutes ago, temptation said:

I could very well see this also being true.

The one certainty is that those teams in line to get stomped by Center Grove are separated by a razor thin margin.

Merrillville is still getting punished (maybe rightfully so) in people’s minds due to getting trucked last year.  The only way they change that narrative is to get to Lucas Oil.

I think all five 6A teams mentioned here are better than they were in 2020 and Westfield was the closest to CG at 24 points in the state title game.

Who are the five? I've got Merrillville, HSE, and Carroll as the top contenders out of the north. Fishers and Homestead close behind. Warsaw sitting on the outside edge of those five in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Who are the five? I've got Merrillville, HSE, and Carroll as the top contenders out of the north. Fishers and Homestead close behind. Warsaw sitting on the outside edge of those five in my opinion. 

The five teams mentioned were CG, Merrillville, Carmel, Westfield and HSE.

I think all are better than they were last year.

Maybe I am over analyzing it but Merrillville seems to have great moment I’m heading into the postseason.  Their schedule is not as daunting as the others but they have still disposed of some pretty solid teams in dominating fashion.

I know we are talking about a bunch of games that we do not have the luxury of witnessing in person but both Westfield and Carmel‘s final scores last week against far inferior opponents was underwhelming.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Merrillville seems to have great moment I’m heading into the postseason.  Their schedule is not as daunting as the others but they have still disposed of some pretty solid teams in dominating fashion.

Westfield and Carmel‘s final scores last week against far inferior opponents was underwhelming.

Merrillville's closest game was 26 points. That's saying something with Valpo and Chesterton on their schedule. When you are consistently whipping your opponents by those kinds of margins, that's a pretty good sign that you have a very good football team. 

Good to hear that the path through Westfield may not be as daunting as it seemed. Everyone keeps talking about Merrillville, and rightfully so. I'm looking forward to how Carroll does given they get past Homestead and Warsaw. Carroll's defense is much improved from last year. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Merrillville's closest game was 26 points. That's saying something with Valpo and Chesterton on their schedule. When you are consistently whipping your opponents by those kinds of margins, that's a pretty good sign that you have a very good football team. 

Good to hear that the path through Westfield may not be as daunting as it seemed. Everyone keeps talking about Merrillville, and rightfully so. I'm looking forward to how Carroll does given they get past Homestead and Warsaw. Carroll's defense is much improved from last year. 

Don’t overlook the Michigan City, Andrean and Hobart wins.  Though not 6A, those three teams are very capable of deep postseason runs.

6 hours ago, temptation said:

Don’t overlook the Michigan City, Andrean and Hobart wins.  Though not 6A, those three teams are very capable of deep postseason runs.

Which is exactly what I did when looking at Merrillville's schedule. Now that you brought attention to it, I'm even more impressed. 

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

Which is exactly what I did when looking at Merrillville's schedule. Now that you brought attention to it, I'm even more impressed. 

Not murderer’s row by any means and not comparable to an HCC/MIC slate but to pretend that Merrillville hasn’t “played anyone” is a lazy take by some.

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Not murderer’s row by any means and not comparable to an HCC/MIC slate but to pretend that Merrillville hasn’t “played anyone” is a lazy take by some.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The Region isn't Indy, but looking at the scores of some of those games is enough to give one pause. 

12 hours ago, temptation said:

Agreed. At this point I'm expecting Merrillville to once again lose to Westfield; however, this year I won't be surprised if they actually beat Westfield. Their speed and athleticism in the passing game will be huge. They don't need to try beating Westfield running the ball, which is not easy to do against the 'Rocks D Line. 

My opinion, Maximus Webester and Micah Hauser will make it tough for anyone to beat Westfield in the North. Those two have so much experience and are such high IQ football players. I really enjoy watching them. Whether it's Merrillville, Warsaw, Caroll, Homestead, or HSE, it'll take a lot of points on the board to beat Westfield because that due is nearly impossible to keep out of the endzone.

Edited by Boilernation

14 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

Carmel will be an underdog..I think they made top 115 in the nation on the latest poll..granted not top 10..yet still ranked..Westfield wasn't far behind..yes ik..polls smolls 

I am still waiting on Westfield to Man-Up and play Carmel in the regular season. 5 minute drive and would be an enormous crowd at 2 beautiful stadiums. Could be a top regular season game each year. Ridiculous that they don't play.

I guess we just have to wait for Carmel to join the HCC... 

• Like 2

I will be shocked if Merrillville is not playing deep into the second half with Westfield vs the game last year were they were happy to be there and fell apart after they were robbed of a go ahead touchdown. Hardy clearly in bounds on that play. It was clear last year and there is no doubt this year who the more athletic team is, the question for Merrillville last year which they have shown more of this year is their physicality. To beat down Valpo, Chesterton, Crown Point, MC, Andrean, and Hobart they way they did was not due to their athleticism, which is superior to the teams listed other than MC, they physically beat these teams. 

If they just cut in half the turnovers and penalties from last years game, they will win. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grover said:

Might be a short wait. 

I’m really going to be interested to see how things play out….and how soon.  I’ve always thought this was just another crazy thing DT would throw up on the wall but I’m far from certain about that now.  

That whole incident at Ben Davis likely rattled some folks at Carmel (and I’d think at Center Grove as well).  

6 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I’m really going to be interested to see how things play out….and how soon.  I’ve always thought this was just another crazy thing DT would throw up on the wall but I’m far from certain about that now.  

That whole incident at Ben Davis likely rattled some folks at Carmel (and I’d think at Center Grove as well).  

I think if it does happen....its been a thought for quite some time....perhaps the recent event adds further support, but I believe it was a serious consideration well before.  Just an opinion.

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Like 1