Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2021 State Championship Games

4 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I think if it does happen....its been a thought for quite some time....perhaps the recent event adds further support, but I believe it was a serious consideration well before.  Just an opinion.

It’s certainly understandable as regards the broad umbrella of all the sports Carmel and CG are competitive in.  Obviously the MIC offers them competitive football and hoops (I think) but probably not so much all the other sports. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lysander said:

It’s certainly understandable as regards the broad umbrella of all the sports Carmel and CG are competitive in.  Obviously the MIC offers them competitive football and hoops (I think) but probably not so much all the other sports. 

I think track is competitive as well in the MIC, but I would agree with your thoughts about overall sports depth.  I also believe travel gate matters as well.  As you know, a few sports may be called on to really help fill up the overall budget.  I do think a con for CG and HCC is more travel...but at least FC would be on the same side of town.  Today, CG really doesn't have a close conference neighbor.  (guessing BD or WC is the closest)

32 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I’m really going to be interested to see how things play out….and how soon.  I’ve always thought this was just another crazy thing DT would throw up on the wall but I’m far from certain about that now.  

That whole incident at Ben Davis likely rattled some folks at Carmel (and I’d think at Center Grove as well).  

Whatever happens I don’t think the shooting was considered. 

5 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I think track is competitive as well in the MIC, but I would agree with your thoughts about overall sports depth.  I also believe travel gate matters as well.  As you know, a few sports may be called on to really help fill up the overall budget.  I do think a con for CG and HCC is more travel...but at least FC would be on the same side of town.  Today, CG really doesn't have a close conference neighbor.  (guessing BD or WC is the closest)

Outside of staying in the MIC, I’m not sure Center Grove has any real option excepting the HCC….despite the travel.  Even if you blew up every conference in the state and tried to build something altogether new, I’m not sure you could assemble a better alternative than the HCC for CG.

To a very real degree they are a duck out of water as a south side school that has almost all the attributes (outside of location) as the Hamilton County schools (and Avon, Brownsburg and Zionsville).  

There does appear to be a certain inevitability, admittedly.

32 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Outside of staying in the MIC, I’m not sure Center Grove has any real option excepting the HCC….despite the travel.  Even if you blew up every conference in the state and tried to build something altogether new, I’m not sure you could assemble a better alternative than the HCC for CG.

To a very real degree they are a duck out of water as a south side school that has almost all the attributes (outside of location) as the Hamilton County schools (and Avon, Brownsburg and Zionsville).  

There does appear to be a certain inevitability, admittedly.

Totally agree with your thoughts....

Actually they have really nice attributes..combination of urban with rural.  Unfortunately, more and more of the rural is getting gobbled up and that is sad.

6A has so many good teams this year, it's almost a shame that CG is so darn good. Regional 1 (Sectionals 1 & 2) should be fairly easy for Merrillville, though Chesterton or Penn could give them a half decent game. Regional 4 (Sectionals 7 & 8 ) should also be easy for CG,  but Sectional 7 Could be exciting. Regional 3 (Sectionals 5 & 6) will have some great games, in Carmel vs Brownsburg and the winner of that game having to beat Ben Davis for the second time in a single season. Regional 2 (you get the idea at this point...), though, is going to be electric. Westfield seems to be the consensus favorite, but I think an argument could EASILY be made for Carroll or HSE. And I wouldn't overlook Warsaw or Homestead, both I believe are better than most think.  I like Semi-State 1  to have Merrillville facing off against Carroll, and Semi-State 2  having Carmel play CG. State game will have CG trouncing Merrillville.

Hoping for competitive championship games but …

6A:  Center Grove over Westfield by many

5A:  Cathedral over Valparaiso by many

4A:  Roncalli over Leo by many (gotta throw the ball at LOS Leo)

3A: WL over Gibson Southern by many (reference last year where top 5 teams were from the north.  This year WL and BJ are on a different level)

2A: Luers over Linton-Stockton by many.  Top 5 teams are from North.

1A:  Lutheran over Adams Central by 14

6A: CG over Merrillville

5A: Cathedral over Snider

4A: Roncalli over Hobart

3A: Brebeuf over Gibson Southern 

2A: Luers over Mater Dei

1A: Lutheran over Adams Central 

Edited by scarab527
Adams Central not South Adams
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 7:02 AM, Purdue Pete said:

Hoping for competitive championship games but …

6A:  Center Grove over Westfield by many

5A:  Cathedral over Valparaiso by many

4A:  Roncalli over Leo by many (gotta throw the ball at LOS Leo)

3A: WL over Gibson Southern by many (reference last year where top 5 teams were from the north.  This year WL and BJ are on a different level)

2A: Luers over Linton-Stockton by many.  Top 5 teams are from North.

1A:  Lutheran over Adams Central by 14

I don’t thing BJ is quite at a different level.  The GS kid still has not thrown an INT.  BJ QB has some WR that make him look good as he is not really an accurate thrower.  Can BJ get pressure on QB will be the question.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

I don’t thing BJ is quite at a different level.  The GS kid still has not thrown an INT.  BJ QB has some WR that make him look good as he is not really an accurate thrower.  Can BJ get pressure on QB will be the question.  

Ok I can say this now that we’ve been eliminated. Unless injuries or a miracle happens, 3A is Gibson Southern - then everyone else. I don’t see anyone staying within 2 TD’s all the way through . 

6 minutes ago, jets said:

Ok I can say this now that we’ve been eliminated. Unless injuries or a miracle happens, 3A is Gibson Southern - then everyone else. I don’t see anyone staying within 2 TD’s all the way through . 

We will see.  As a Purdue fan, I hope they are that dominant because that makes Brady Allen look all the better (and after today, a promising quarterback would be a welcome sight). 

That said, it's rare for a team from that part of the state to be competitive at the state level, let alone dominant.  Usually when they have to play Indy-area teams, it's game over. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, XStar said:

We will see.  As a Purdue fan, I hope they are that dominant because that makes Brady Allen look all the better (and after today, a promising quarterback would be a welcome sight). 

That said, it's rare for a team from that part of the state to be competitive at the state level, let alone dominant.  Usually when they have to play Indy-area teams, it's game over. 

Evansville Memorial might have an argument with that….a pretty legit one having relatively recently played in 3 championship games and walking off with a 3A and 4A title.

As regards Gibson Southern, I’d wager they’re ready for the challenge.  The last time they played an Indy power was in 2015 in horrific conditions in a game that really could have gone either way.

Even so, I think the assumed title game between GS and Brebeuf would be a great game. Like @fenderbender stated, Brebeuf will need to get pressure on GS because I don’t think they’ve faced a QB quite like him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Evansville Memorial might have an argument with that….a pretty legit one having relatively recently played in 3 championship games and walking off with a 3A and 4A title.

As regards Gibson Southern, I’d wager they’re ready for the challenge.  The last time they played an Indy power was in 2015 in horrific conditions in a game that really could have gone either way.

Even so, I think the assumed title game between GS and Brebeuf would be a great game. Like @fenderbender stated, Brebeuf will need to get pressure on GS because I don’t think they’ve faced a QB quite like him.

Pick your poison…cause I don’t believe they have tackled RBs as big as Lukeman or Dickerson either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XStar said:

Maybe that’s been your experience, but I think history has shown “that part of the State” can hold its own, all things considered. 

2016- State Champ (Linton)

2017- State Champ (Southridge) 

2018- State Champ (Memorial)

2019- State Representative (Heritage Hills) 

Last year we didn’t get anyone up there...but I’d be willing to bet you see some Southern flavor this year. 

And lastly- you’re just flat WRONG about GS. 

11 minutes ago, jets said:

Maybe that’s been your experience, but I think history has shown “that part of the State” can hold its own, all things considered. 

Last year we didn’t get anyone up there...but I’d be willing to bet you see some Southern flavor this year. 

I never said that it never happened.  I just said it's rare.  And this pretty much proves my point.  No winners last 2 years.  Only 4 representatives in the 30 championship games in the past 5 years.  I'm pretty sure if I go back and look I'd find far more instances of the teams representing that area getting smacked around by Indy area teams in the tournament.

Lastly, the only thing I said specifically about GS is that I hope you're right because I want to see Brady Allen do well.  Not sure how I can be "flat WRONG" about stating what I hope.  

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

Mullis was a pretty good timely test for Brebeuf.  His QB rating is lower than Allen's, but it's significant enough as a test ... especially in post-season.  His completion rate is close to Allen's too.   Brebeuf had a pretty active night in the secondary last night with a pair of picks, which is more than their season average and a season-high passes defended number too.  As much as I hated seeing 1 and 2 play each other first game out of the gate in sectionals, for Brebeuf it may end up being the best possible outcome that they could have had.

51 minutes ago, XStar said:

I never said that it never happened.  I just said it's rare.  And this pretty much proves my point.  No winners last 2 years.  Only 4 representatives in the 30 championship games in the past 5 years.  I'm pretty sure if I go back and look I'd find far more instances of the teams representing that area getting smacked around by Indy area teams in the tournament.

Lastly, the only thing I said specifically about GS is that I hope you're right because I want to see Brady Allen do well.  Not sure how I can be "flat WRONG" about stating what I hope.  

Don’t pay any attention to that GS love fest. Every year they think they have Barry sanders, emmitt smith, and Tom Brady on their team. When they don’t make it to state they get real quiet…and hope no one remembers all the comments they made about being as good as Alabama or Ski. Most of them think they should have won at least 30 football state titles in the last 9 years.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jets said:

Memorial won 3A in 2017.

Memorial was 3A runner-up in 2018 and beat Chatard 42-17 in semi-state (got smacked?)

Memorial won 4A in 2019 after being bumped due to SF (first 3A to win in 4A)

10 hours ago, Moonshiners said:

Don’t pay any attention to that GS love fest. Every year they think they have Barry sanders, emmitt smith, and Tom Brady on their team. When they don’t make it to state they get real quiet…and hope no one remembers all the comments they made about being as good as Alabama or Ski. Most of them think they should have won at least 30 football state titles in the last 9 years.

Before you make drunk comments before bed maybe you should click to see who is making the comments about GS this year…(Hint: it’s the other teams fans who are the most bold) 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Titan20 said:

Pick your poison…cause I don’t believe they have tackled RBs as big as Lukeman or Dickerson either.

Maybe so, and I won’t contest the quality of GS’s ground game but my guess is that in playing both Cathedral and Roncalli, Brebeuf has played against the biggest and most highly regarded O-lines (and running games) in the state outside of Center Grove.  Roncalli’s offensive line could easily be mistaken for a MAC team’s line when you see them match up.

In watching the Brebeuf/WL game it seemed that when WL came out in the 2nd half and tried to (conservatively) establish a ground game that Brebeuf was able to handle that fairly easily and WL lost all their momentum.  

I still think that in a prospective State Championship game between GS and Brebeuf the difference is going to be whether Brebeuf can contain Allen and his receivers.  

• Like 2