Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

I do not see it changing until one they shutter one or two high schools.  They are losing students by the hundreds and the paper said they expect another 800 by next year.  St school board is afraid to make hard decisions because they do not want another charter school to open.  There are only opening because of the failures of past board to address the academic issues of each building.  And all of the money in the world is not going change the academic side of things

A guy at my dorm at IU was from SB Riley. He said he played football. Got absolutely laid out by a current HS assistant coach (former all-state LB teammate of mine) in the DiNardo days in a 7-on-7 tackle game. He responded by ripping a fire extinguisher out of a dorm hallway while intoxicated and trying to assault various floormates... Judging by collegiate social media accounts, that was a foreshadowing of the current destruction of property craze.

The guys from Penn were much more personable. That is my experience with and knowledge of South Bend football. Oh, I guess Gehrig Dieter has done the city pretty well after setting an NCAA record for most transfers.

2 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

In South Bend, the City government and the school board aren't associated.  Although efforts are being made.

Isn't this pretty standard across Indiana? Townships have determined school attendance, even in some cases crossing county lines? I guess the bigger cities are starting to see public services merge -- fire departments, police/sheriff departments, other forms of governance. I'm generally not a big fan of redundant systems, but also like to see governance and services as accountable as possible. Idk. Big decisions.

• Like 2

Yes, there should be concern about Washington, Clay, and Riley but there should be more concern about Adams.  Adams only won 3 games this season against teams that had an overall record of 5-18.  Adams has an enrollment of close to 2,000 students and still can't put a quality team on the field.   Something need to change at Adams.

Adams has been a situation of why not more successful through the years since the 70's.  They have had their moments but never built on it consistently.  I know a few current Adams parents that have not been happy with the direction of the program but have kept their child in it for the lack of anything better.  There is a new corporation AD for athletics but for all grades K-12 which is different. Not sure what in roads may happens.  Many intermediate school teams do not have a coach until just about the time their season starts.  How do you change the mind set and attitude of a whole corporation athletically may define SB better than anything.

10 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Take your political feelings to a more appropriate website, PLEASE!

In this case, the two are tied together.  If you lived here, you'd know that.  I'm fine if people here are afraid to discuss such things but it's not possible to appropriately address the question asked without going down that road.  It's like trying to explain why the radio in a car won't work without discussing the fact that the car was totaled in an accident.  Football is the least of the problems of South Bend schools and not any sort of priority whatsoever of those running things.  Nor should it be.  I won't go any further down that road than that because that's where the football stops and the stuff you're afraid to talk about begins.  

• Disdain 2

7 hours ago, ASJCPUMA said:

Adams has been a situation of why not more successful through the years since the 70's.  They have had their moments but never built on it consistently.  I know a few current Adams parents that have not been happy with the direction of the program but have kept their child in it for the lack of anything better.  There is a new corporation AD for athletics but for all grades K-12 which is different. Not sure what in roads may happens.  Many intermediate school teams do not have a coach until just about the time their season starts.  How do you change the mind set and attitude of a whole corporation athletically may define SB better than anything.

I thought South Bend Turned a corner back in the 80s when they moved junior high football to the spring.  There were able to get much better coaching.

That being said, it is very difficult to find quality coaches to coach at that level.  There is no youth football league, so instruction comes at the very basic level.

I agree with X that there are more problems than football in South Bend Schools.

I believe that South Bend, Fort Wayne, Evansville, and Indianapolis are the only districts with at least 4 high schools and they are have at least one successful program every season.

Maybe we need to reach out to them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, XStar said:

In this case, the two are tied together.  If you lived here, you'd know that.  I'm fine if people here are afraid to discuss such things but it's not possible to appropriately address the question asked without going down that road.  It's like trying to explain why the radio in a car won't work without discussing the fact that the car was totaled in an accident.  Football is the least of the problems of South Bend schools and not any sort of priority whatsoever of those running things.  Nor should it be.  I won't go any further down that road than that because that's where the football stops and the stuff you're afraid to talk about begins.  

Believe me, I'm not afraid of anything political!  This just isn't the place to have that kind of discussion.  If you can't stick to just discussing football, then move on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Believe me, I'm not afraid of anything political!  This just isn't the place to have that kind of discussion.  If you can't stick to just discussing football, then move on.

First, I haven't gone beyond the football part of this.  Second, maybe you should consider supporting this site financially before you go running around trying to dictate what everyone discusses?

• Disdain 1

28 minutes ago, XStar said:

First, I haven't gone beyond the football part of this.  Second, maybe you should consider supporting this site financially before you go running around trying to dictate what everyone discusses?

I'm an old retired man, cancer survivor and CHF survivor.  If I had expendable cash I'd be delighted to support this site.  I'm lucky to be able to get to the games.  Maybe you should remember that all folks aren't financially sound before you go accusing them of free loading.

• Thanks 1

Clearly South Bend has problems and no doubt politics likely plays a big part in it, but even a program that was pretty legit just 8-10 years ago like SB St. Joe has fallen off the edge the Earth in recent years.  

Curious, so aside from a political failure in the city, there would appear to be other major factors at play - at least in the case of St. Joe….or are their woes stemming from something altogether different?  To a point, one might think they would directly benefit from the woes of their local public schools in terms of public school kids moving over but there is no evidence of that happening - at least on the gridiron so far.

BTW, thanks for indirectly reminding me that I need to ante up again as well.  Just keep forgetting.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Curious, so aside from a political failure in the city, there would appear to be other major factors at play - at least in the case of St. Joe….or are their woes stemming from something altogether different?

See Bishop Noll.

16 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Clearly South Bend has problems and no doubt politics likely plays a big part in it, but even a program that was pretty legit just 8-10 years ago like SB St. Joe has fallen off the edge the Earth in recent years.  

Curious, so aside from a political failure in the city, there would appear to be other major factors at play - at least in the case of St. Joe….or are their woes stemming from something altogether different?  To a point, one might think they would directly benefit from the woes of their local public schools in terms of public school kids moving over but there is no evidence of that happening - at least on the gridiron so far.

BTW, thanks for indirectly reminding me that I need to ante up again as well.  Just keep forgetting.

St. Joe's issue is far different.  Their feeder, the ICCL, has been struggling.  There was no football in 2020.  

They are struggling to have 4 teams every season.  The better teams also feed into Marian.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

St. Joe's issue is far different.  Their feeder, the ICCL, has been struggling.  There was no football in 2020.  

They are struggling to have 4 teams every season.  The better teams also feed into Marian.

Interesting to hear.  I recognize that CYO numbers are down in Indy as well but I don’t think they ever lost the core of kids who would end up being starters.  One would think that, living in the shadows of Norte Dame, there would always be a core group of Catholic kids and families that couldn’t wait to play football every Fall.  Clearly Marian has been dominant recently.

Is the influence of Norte Dame that shallow in South Bend?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I'm an old retired man, cancer survivor and CHF survivor.  If I had expendable cash I'd be delighted to support this site.  I'm lucky to be able to get to the games.  Maybe you should remember that all folks aren't financially sound before you go accusing them of free loading.

I never said anything about free loading.  My suggestion was that if you want to run around here and pretend like you run the site and tell people to take their conversation elsewhere, perhaps you should at least contribute $30 a year to support the site.  If you can't afford it, that's fine.  Not everyone can.  I'd just be a little less militant about telling others what to talk about.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lysander said:

For St. Joe, I think it's just as simple as they haven't been the same since the Downey's left.  

The problems with the public South Bend schools I've been told we can't talk about here.  

17 minutes ago, XStar said:

For St. Joe, I think it's just as simple as they haven't been the same since the Downey's left.  

The problems with the public South Bend schools I've been told we can't talk about here.  

I think you hit it on the head.  I had an assistant coach tell me about 3 years that the program was in disarray and they were making progress.  Well the last 3 years have been anything but successful and the fact this year after week 3 they have not scored more than 7 points what does that tell you.

• Like 1