Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

1 hour ago, XStar said:

For St. Joe, I think it's just as simple as they haven't been the same since the Downey's left.  

The problems with the public South Bend schools I've been told we can't talk about here.  

I recall that when Downey first took over they lost the first several games and had a losing record going into playoffs.

They then go on a run that takes them all the way to the State Championship game.  They played well in that game and I will contend but for that Chatard scoop and score 70 yd TD on a bad snap that that game could have gone very differently for Chatard.

I think St Joe's issues have more to do with Marian being good than anything.  I cant recall a time in recent history when both St Joe and Marian were good at the same time.  It seems like the cycle of coaching, program and players is just in favor of Marian at the moment.

South Bend unfortunately is just a disaster.  Too many schools, no investment, no community support, no offseason program etc etc.  I am frankly surprised that more of the better athletes are not migrating to the better programs in the area.  A few of those kids would make a big difference at a Marian/Elkhart/ New Prairie.

59 minutes ago, johnny U said:

A few kids are making a difference at Marian and New Prairie.  You can add LaVille and Glenn also.

This is true whether it is the cause of St. Joe's problems or the result of them.  I tend to think the latter.  I don't think many people outside the area understand the alternatives to the South Bend schools.  Marian and St. Joe are only separated by 4 miles.  Only 5 between St. Joe and Mishawaka.  There are plenty of reasonable, viable options to the east, west, and south also if your kid wants to play on a winning football team other than schools with "South Bend" in their name.  I think when St. Joe shows some promise, they'll start getting more of those players from the area.  Until then, they'll probably flock to Marian if they want the Catholic education and perhaps one the closer public schools outside of South Bend if they don't care about going Catholic.  

I have a friend that coaches girl's basketball and the last time the St. Joe job was open I asked him if he'd be interested in it and, to my surprise given their success in that program historically, he said no and cited uncompetitive pay as the reason.  Maybe that's an issue in other sports as well.  I'm not sure.  I'd really be surprised if Marian can afford better coaches than St. Joe but perhaps that's the case?

Edited by XStar

4 hours ago, XStar said:

This is true whether it is the cause of St. Joe's problems or the result of them.  I tend to think the latter.  I don't think many people outside the area understand the alternatives to the South Bend schools.  Marian and St. Joe are only separated by 4 miles.  Only 5 between St. Joe and Mishawaka.  There are plenty of reasonable, viable options to the east, west, and south also if your kid wants to play on a winning football team other than schools with "South Bend" in their name.  I think when St. Joe shows some promise, they'll start getting more of those players from the area.  Until then, they'll probably flock to Marian if they want the Catholic education and perhaps one the closer public schools outside of South Bend if they don't care about going Catholic.  

I have a friend that coaches girl's basketball and the last time the St. Joe job was open I asked him if he'd be interested in it and, to my surprise given their success in that program historically, he said no and cited uncompetitive pay as the reason.  Maybe that's an issue in other sports as well.  I'm not sure.  I'd really be surprised if Marian can afford better coaches than St. Joe but perhaps that's the case?

I am not sure if this is still the case but the pay for coaches was similar for each school.  Like many schools it takes the right coach in the right place at the right time.  Niles and Berrien Springs are proving that right now.  Kids want to play for a winner but that is not the only reason they pick a school  You hear other rumors etc. but none of those is for this discussion.

• Like 1

South Bend schools are like Hammond and back some years Gary.  I do not see any similarities to FW as they are not losing kids by the multitudes.  Indy has down sized high schools greatly and the reopen a couple.  Some of their former high schools are charter.  Until SB figures out how to downsize their buildings then find the right person to bring the program back not much is going to change.    If they are content with the way the program is then parents will have to look at other options in this era of open enrollment and vouchers.  Plus recently it seems there are more parents moving to Mishawaka and their kids transfer to Mishawaka.  The years of failing buildings academically with no plan to fix is is catching up with them

SB is expecting to lose another 800 kids next year.  That is more than one building.  Hammond made the bold decision a few years ago now SB has to.  

22 hours ago, XStar said:

I never said anything about free loading.  My suggestion was that if you want to run around here and pretend like you run the site and tell people to take their conversation elsewhere, perhaps you should at least contribute $30 a year to support the site.  If you can't afford it, that's fine.  Not everyone can.  I'd just be a little less militant about telling others what to talk about.  

And you should be a lot less militant about telling folks to donate to the site!

And if telling someone this is not the place to vent your political beliefs is militant, heaven help you!

Edited by PHJIrish

23 hours ago, XStar said:

For St. Joe, I think it's just as simple as they haven't been the same since the Downey's left.  

The problems with the public South Bend schools I've been told we can't talk about here.  

Political issues that deal directly with education are ok to an extent; because for many urban programs and districts, the impact of political moves have impacted them in many ways, and athletics have felt the impact in a ripple effect. Like most large cities, it seems to be a standard. The problem with just saying "look who the people voted for Mayor" has nothing to do with the politics in education. 

To clarify, @LaSalle Lions 1976 mentioned the cities with multiple schools; Indy has IPS; where there are also a couple of charter schools with teams; but none of those teams are seeing any level of success; and it's been several years since any of them have seen any level of success. There are 8 Township districts; 2 with 2 high schools, along with Speedway and Beech Grove schools. 

In Fort Wayne, there are 2 districts with 4 or more schools; FWCS and EACS (Heritage, Woodlan, New Haven, and Leo). Snider has been a traditional power for a long time. In EACS, Harding, prior to closing had some success as well. Leo is currently doing well, and the current football team has a chance to make a deep run, with East Noble to face this week as a big challenge. What I see as a factor here is investment in the programs, along with a run of something that RARELY gets mentioned; having the jimmys and joes on the field. Shifts in population are a factor as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

And you should be a lot less militant about telling folks to donate to the site!

And if telling someone this is not the place to vent your political beliefs is militant, heaven help you!

Adults can understand that the condition a school system is a direct reflection of how it is run which runs into the type of stuff you're afraid to discuss.  It's also the underlying problem related to why the football programs, along with everything else in SBCSC, are failing.  That's not political opinion.  That's a matter of fact whether we're looking at results on the football field or in the classroom.  Please make use of the link below.  

https://gridirondigest.net/clients/donations/3-2021-22-budget/

59 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The problem with just saying "look who the people voted for Mayor" has nothing to do with the politics in education. 

Don't disagree.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XStar said:

Adults can understand that the condition a school system is a direct reflection of how it is run which runs into the type of stuff you're afraid to discuss.  It's also the underlying problem related to why the football programs, along with everything else in SBCSC, are failing.  That's not political opinion.  That's a matter of fact whether we're looking at results on the football field or in the classroom.  Please make use of the link below.  

Don't disagree.  

Whatever!  Reading is fundamental!

BTW, it seems by a 7-1 margin, you being the one, TGDers agreed with my post.

Edited by PHJIrish

3 hours ago, XStar said:

Don't disagree.  

Donated 30 even though I have an ad blocker and don’t get ads just did it because I’m a good person

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Donated 30 even though I have an ad blocker and don’t get ads just did it because I’m a good person

Thank you!  If everyone was a good, stand-up person like you, we'd meet that goal in no time.  

While leaders in the corporation and city will blame vouchers, there is one strong charter grade school and high school in SB.  The parochial schools are not full.  But what they never consider is how many students have gone to John Glenn, LaVille, New Prairie, Mishawaka, Penn, Niles, and Edwardsburg.  Open enrollment is an even bigger factor in losing kids along with affordable housing especially in rental housing.  There are a pyramid of issues in South Bend not all related to the schools.  Plus the big fight yesterday at Clay does not help either.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 9:49 AM, hhpatriot04 said:

A guy at my dorm at IU was from SB Riley. He said he played football. Got absolutely laid out by a current HS assistant coach (former all-state LB teammate of mine) in the DiNardo days in a 7-on-7 tackle game. He responded by ripping a fire extinguisher out of a dorm hallway while intoxicated and trying to assault various floormates... Judging by collegiate social media accounts, that was a foreshadowing of the current destruction of property craze.

The guys from Penn were much more personable. That is my experience with and knowledge of South Bend football. Oh, I guess Gehrig Dieter has done the city pretty well after setting an NCAA record for most transfers.

A man amongst boys.