Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Trump Derangement Syndrome is a thing.....It makes the most tolerant among us intolerant.......

swordfish

57 minutes ago, swordfish said:

Nope, didn't get triggered.....Must be the color.....

I'm not giving up that easy.

Image result for obama fbi hat

19 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Fixed.

I think we can conclude that Gen X'ers make more grammatical errors than Baby Boomers.

4 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I think we can conclude that Gen X'ers make more grammatical errors than Baby Boomers.

Probably.  After all I am a mental midget compared to your Baby Boomer greatness.

Got some retirement cash I can borrow?

And I find your backtracking on my original statement interesting.  You first stated:

No, they won't hurt me. But it will waste a lot of my time reading words from someone whining about a generation ruining their life instead of manning up and taking responsibility for their own future.

I then responded (initial grammatically errors corrected):

I thought they were "manning up" with initiatives like the Green New Deal, championed by a very member of that generation, who according to you are "ruining their lives"?

Your response was then:

I think we can conclude that Gen X'ers are the problem since they sat/sit idly by while blaming previous and subsequent generations are blamed for failing to secure the future for our children and grandchildren. 

So once I pointed out your love affair with the millennial Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and the "Green New Deal"  you immediately pivoted your blame to Generation X.   Interesting.

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Nice dodge.  And actually no, if you want to play that game this was my "original statement":

I didn't respond to this statement.^^^^^^

44 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And I find your backtracking on my original statement interesting. 

Wrong.

On 4/9/2019 at 4:11 PM, swordfish said:

SF can admit there is a basic element of truth in a lot of what you are saying here W as much that I would characterize as your assumptions or opinions.  I may not agree with it, but I can empathize your belief system as genuine.  However, using that logic, for SF this becomes equivalent to the constant dropping of the N word in various rap artist's lyrics.

I get the comparison, and there are certainly many black Americans who agree with you regarding other black people using the n-word.  As we have discussed before, I think it would be great if nobody used the word. But the historical context makes the use of it by a white person much, much worse than the use of it by a black person, and it is simply not a justification for any white person to use it just because some black people do.  

And I feel the same is true with regard to wearing a MAGA hat: the fact that some people (like this elderly Jewish man in the news story) may not be aware or care that the hat has been adopted by white supremists as a symbol of their "cause" doesn't justify a person who does know and care about that fact continuing to wear one. It is like a rainbow flag: whether a person likes it or not, that flag has been adopted by a group of people as a symbol of their cause, and flying that flag makes a statement as a result, inadvertently or not.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wabash82 said:

I get the comparison, and there are certainly many black Americans who agree with you regarding other black people using the n-word.  As we have discussed before, I think it would be great if nobody used the word. But the historical context makes the use of it by a white person much, much worse than the use of it by a black person, and it is simply not a justification for any white person to use it just because some black people do.  

And I feel the same is true with regard to wearing a MAGA hat: the fact that some people (like this elderly Jewish man in the news story) may not be aware or care that the hat has been adopted by white supremists as a symbol of their "cause" doesn't justify a person who does know and care about that fact continuing to wear one. It is like a rainbow flag: whether a person likes it or not, that flag has been adopted by a group of people as a symbol of their cause, and flying that flag makes a statement as a result, inadvertently or not.  

I would agree with you on the context part and would take it a step further.  As you mentioned, there are many Blacks that do not condone or use the n-word from any source.  There are others that don't care for it when used in one form, but as fine in another ... based on context.  Among friends, regardless of race, there are terms that are sometimes used jokingly in reference to each other like *ss, d*ck, SOB, etc.,, that in context, from a particular source, or with a particular tone in the voice pass without a blink of the eye as being non-threatening, non-demeaning, non-aggressive, etc.  Yet, when anyone else not part of that circle uses a similar word, even perhaps in jest, it draws major attention.  Similarly, actions.  There are plenty of actions that husbands do with their wives and wives do with their husbands, in public, that would never be acceptable by anyone else in public.  Even among family members, there are things that are done that are only allowed within the family and never by an outsider and we would all be fine with that.  Just like the brother and sister who fight like cats and dogs and insult each other, it is not an open season for that brother's best friend to insult his sister.  Matter of fact friends often find out really quickly the distinction between friends and family when that line is crossed.  Most of us would not dare to cross that line with a friend's family or even a stranger's family, yet often seem to have no issue crossing the line with other cultural groups.

15 hours ago, Wabash82 said:

SF gets it, but I certainly wouldn't condemn anyone for flying a rainbow flag nor would I ever confront someone for that.  Also, SF doesn't wear his MAGA hat  as a symbol of racism, I wear it because I like our President, and I seriously want America to be Great.  If some snowflake is offended by it, that's his/her problem....... 

26 minutes ago, swordfish said:

SF gets it, but I certainly wouldn't condemn anyone for flying a rainbow flag nor would I ever confront someone for that.  Also, SF doesn't wear his MAGA hat  as a symbol of racism, I wear it because I like our President, and I seriously want America to be Great.  If some snowflake is offended by it, that's his/her problem....... 

Have you been confronted while wearing it?

No I haven't, and I certainly hope i won't be, I think I would be as passive as the Jewish guy, I hope.  The truth is, I really don't wear hats very often, and they are normally Notre Dame or the Colts or Nike Golf.  Maga usually sits in the car and has come out only in unplanned hat-wearing situations (like rain or too much sun) - that and SF isn't a fan of the hat style my kids got me (mesh back, foam front) but it was a gift.  As a guy I am sure you understand - hats need to be comfortable and look good, and I need all the help I can get for that!!  My ND hat, or my Nike Golf hats are my favs......And I am not a guy that would wear it like a chip on my shoulder.

1 hour ago, swordfish said:

No I haven't, and I certainly hope i won't be, I think I would be as passive as the Jewish guy, I hope.  The truth is, I really don't wear hats very often, and they are normally Notre Dame or the Colts or Nike Golf.  Maga usually sits in the car and has come out only in unplanned hat-wearing situations (like rain or too much sun) - that and SF isn't a fan of the hat style my kids got me (mesh back, foam front) but it was a gift.  As a guy I am sure you understand - hats need to be comfortable and look good, and I need all the help I can get for that!!  My ND hat, or my Nike Golf hats are my favs......And I am not a guy that would wear it like a chip on my shoulder.

And to me, it is just like any other part of apparel.  If I feel like wearing it that day, I wear it.  If I do not, I do not.

14 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

And to me, it is just like any other part of apparel.  If I feel like wearing it that day, I wear it.  If I do not, I do not.

I don’t wear hats often either. I have never been confronted for any article of clothing. Not even my yellow Come At Me Bro shirt. I have had snide behind the back comments many years ago about my hair.

4 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I don’t wear hats often either. I have never been confronted for any article of clothing. Not even my yellow Come At Me Bro shirt. I have had snide behind the back comments many years ago about my hair.

Wish I had that problem.  All I ever get is, do you buff or wax your head?  LOL  

#baldisbeautiful

21 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Image result for mullet

Oh come on - I had to.....You floated that one across the middle of the plate.....

I’m a weekend hat wearer and have about 8 currently that I rotate thru. A  nicely broken in hat is like a well worn pair of jeans for me, part of the “uniform” on Saturdays. I don’t think I have ever bought a hat, though, which explains why my wife won’t be seen with me when I am wearing some of them. (The neon yellow “corn” cap I got as a giveaway at the State Fair a few years back was one of her least favorites; it mysteriously disappeared from my closet a few weeks later....)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wabash82 said:

(The neon yellow “corn” cap I got as a giveaway at the State Fair a few years back was one of her least favorites; it mysteriously disappeared from my closet a few weeks later....)

Better not go to the Wisconsin State Fair then.

Image result for cheesehead hat

Or even worse, Iowa:

Image result for iowa state fair symbol

• Haha 2