Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Playoff Week 1 - Game of the Week?

I submit the Sectional 28 (“Sectional of Death” as called by many here….thanks Foxy) West Lafayette v. Brebeuf face off is the Week 1 playoff Game of the Week.  First, it should be a great game….at least on paper.  Second, it likely determines who is the 3A North representative at Lucas Oil.  Seems to have all the makings of a great and significant game.

Does anyone have any thoughts or expectations as regards this game?

Alternately, does anyone have another game they consider a more significant game?

Edited by Lysander

12 hours ago, Lysander said:

I submit the Sectional 28 (“Sectional of Death” as called by many here….thanks Foxy) West Lafayette v. Brebeuf face off is the Week 1 playoff Game of the Week.  First, it should be a great game….at least on paper.  Second, it likely determines who is the 3A North representative at Lucas Oil.  Seems to have all the makings of a great and significant game.

Does anyone have any thoughts or expectations as regards this game?

Alternately, does anyone have another game they consider a more significant game?

West Lafayette's kind of Jekyll and Hyde come tourney.  The schedule this season didn't do them any favors though.  Jeff was probably their toughest game this season and that was at the start of the season.  McCutcheon had a bust of a season.  At the same time, they can be a dangerous opponent to overlook.  They have the ability to be explosive.  All things equal though, I'd put my money on Brebeuf ... except when I'm going for broke in the Hoosier Conference Pick 'Em and trying to dig out of the big hole I've dug for myself.

It is a shame that these two teams have to meet right out of the gate.  Reminds me of a few seasons where LCC and Pioneer were 1 and 2 in the state and ended up having to play each other in sectionals.

37 minutes ago, foxbat said:

West Lafayette's kind of Jekyll and Hyde come tourney.  The schedule this season didn't do them any favors though.  Jeff was probably their toughest game this season and that was at the start of the season.  McCutcheon had a bust of a season.  At the same time, they can be a dangerous opponent to overlook.  They have the ability to be explosive.  All things equal though, I'd put my money on Brebeuf ... except when I'm going for broke in the Hoosier Conference Pick 'Em and trying to dig out of the big hole I've dug for myself.

It is a shame that these two teams have to meet right out of the gate.  Reminds me of a few seasons where LCC and Pioneer were 1 and 2 in the state and ended up having to play each other in sectionals.

Agree that it’s a shame this game is taking place now and it exposes the gaping flaw in our current system, in my opinion.

I have to admit that there have been a couple of early West Lafayette losses in Sectional that absolutely left me scratching my head.  Last year’s loss to a very modest Guerin team being perhaps the most puzzling.

• Like 1

No games of significance up here in the Fort. But it's an exciting week for sure as some of our teams face out of conference competition for the first time. We know what the outcome of the Luers Fairfield game will be. Concordia will take care of business against Northwestern. But how will South Side do against Delta? Wayne vs Marion? 

Sectional 43: SW at Taylor… an example (imo) of the benefit of the current non-seeded tournament. These two teams will have the best week of practice all year.  They got a shot at a “W”.  Both will be super excited to come out and play.

16 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

Sectional 43: SW at Taylor… an example (imo) of the benefit of the current non-seeded tournament. These two teams will have the best week of practice all year.  They got a shot at a “W”.  Both will be super excited to come out and play.

Good for these two sets of kids? No doubt. Good for Indiana high school football in general? Not so much.

• Like 1

Leo at East Noble. EN played the closest game against Leo this season with a nice 2nd half comeback and a chance to tie it with under a minute left. DJ Allen sat out last week against Dekalb, but I would expect him to make the start at EN. Should be another good game in Kendallville if EN can limit big plays.