Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Luers moves game

3 hours ago, XStar said:

My understanding is that most schools fund their turf privately but I admittedly don't know the details on many of them.  Penn has had turf for a long time now but I recall them soliciting private donations for it.  Still surprising to me that Luers can't find a way to fund it.  Off the top of my head, I know they have professional football and baseball players that have made pretty good money and I'm sure there are some other wealthy families in the fold.  

Even the poor South Bend Schools had a turf field (School Field) privately funded/.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Wayne is getting turf AFTER this season.  The new Superintendent is also fast tracking turf for North and South...so that issue will be eliminated as it pertains to FWCS. 

Where is Snider's turf field? I'm willing to bet that Snider's JV and Freshmen games bring in more revenue than South Side and Wayne varsity games. And we all know which varsity program brings in the most revenue to FWCS. Fascinating. 

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

Where is Snider's turf field? I'm willing to bet that Snider's JV and Freshmen games bring in more revenue than South Side and Wayne varsity games. And we all know which varsity program brings in the most revenue to FWCS. Fascinating. 

Snider's Turf Field is located off Cook Road, at a facility named "Spuller Stadium"  

You changed the entire narrative of "turf fields" by introducing lower level games.  That is NOT the topic, nor the thrust of the original post.  (Even if you are correct) 

Unless and until, the Fort Wayne residents on the near NE side agree and allow an expansion of Snider facilities to include a FB Stadium, the current 'sharing of a facility' on Friday nights will continue.  I think it is much more incumbent upon FWCS to solve the situations with Wayne/North/South at this time, then deal with the Snider issues later.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yuccaguy said:

Wayne is getting turf AFTER this season.  The new Superintendent is also fast tracking turf for North and South...so that issue will be eliminated as it pertains to FWCS. 

There are all sorts of "rumors" as to why/who offered to fund turf for Luers.  No need to get into that...but as of now, they don't have turf.  But I assure you that prominent former players did offer to fund a turf field.  It just didn't/hasn't happened.

Oh I know they have. I’ve heard it has to do with an ongoing project within the school itself. Maybe there are other reasons idk. That’s great to hear that Wayne, North and South are getting turf. They need it. The grass at South back in the mid 2000’s was mostly dirt and stones lol. Can’t imagine what it’s like now.

20 minutes ago, BTF said:

Snider doesn’t just need a turf field out at Bowser, they need to do what Dwenger did and rebuild the stadium as a whole. Snider should be next and honestly should’ve been first. I do think, however, that FWCS knows that Bowser needs a whole rebuild and may be saving it for last because it will cost the most. Just me spitballing though.

9 minutes ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

Snider doesn’t just need a turf field out at Bowser, they need to do what Dwenger did and rebuild the stadium as a whole. Snider should be next and honestly should’ve been first. I do think, however, that FWCS knows that Bowser needs a whole rebuild and may be saving it for last because it will cost the most. Just me spitballing though.

Again, as I said earlier.  the NEIGHBORHOOD will not allow a full on Stadium to be put in place at the Bowser Field location.  Heck, the extended residents weren't in favor of the Layhmeyer Road facility either.  Even capitulating to the neighborhood to construct a Baseball facility off Long Road, they couldn't put in lights.  

I am befuddled as to where a full on FB Stadium could/would be constructed...perhaps off Coliseum Blvd.?  (Old Home Depot location...) 

But now that brings us to the funding of the construction.  Are you sure that the 'ultra-conservative' FW taxpayers would vote for a tax increase to give Snider a stand alone facility;  When they seem to be content with the current situation on Friday nights sharing a facility with Northrop?  

Edited by Yuccaguy
wording
  • Like 1
  • Disdain 1

5 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Again, as I said earlier.  the NEIGHBORHOOD will not allow a full on Stadium to be put in place at the Bowser Field location. 

Heck, the extended residents weren't in favor of the Layhmeyer Road facility either. 

When they seem to be content with the current situation on Friday nights sharing a facility with Northrop?  

Again, as I said earlier.  the NEIGHBORHOOD will not allow a full on Stadium to be put in place at the Bowser Field location. 

That's fine, let's just begin construction on the turf field then. It only makes business sense. Snider's JV and Freshmen games are more likely to pay it off quicker than South Side or Wayne's Varsity games. 

Heck, the extended residents weren't in favor of the Layhmeyer Road facility either.

And how'd that work out for those residents? Never mind, let's not go down that path.  

When they seem to be content with the current situation on Friday nights sharing a facility with Northrop?

You're right, su casa mi casa.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Again, as I said earlier.  the NEIGHBORHOOD will not allow a full on Stadium to be put in place at the Bowser Field location.  Heck, the extended residents weren't in favor of the Layhmeyer Road facility either.  Even capitulating to the neighborhood to construct a Baseball facility off Long Road, they couldn't put in lights.  

I am befuddled as to where a full on FB Stadium could/would be constructed...perhaps off Coliseum Blvd.?  (Old Home Depot location...) 

But now that brings us to the funding of the construction.  Are you sure that the 'ultra-conservative' FW taxpayers would vote for a tax increase to give Snider a stand alone facility;  When they seem to be content with the current situation on Friday nights sharing a facility with Northrop?  

I had no idea that the surrounding neighborhoods wouldn’t sign off on the rebuild. Wow. All I know is is that Snider should have it’s own stadium. I was just talking to a buddy about how Spuller Stadium doesn’t look right with that giant Bruin at midfield. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BTF said:

That's fine, let's just begin construction on the turf field then. It only makes business sense. Snider's JV and Freshmen games are more likely to pay it off quicker than South Side or Wayne's Varsity games. 

And how'd that work out for those residents? Never mind, let's not go down that path.  

You're right, su casa mi casa.  

AGREED...But FWCS is not 'turfing' a lower level field (Bowser)......

3 minutes ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

I had no idea that the surrounding neighborhoods wouldn’t sign off on the rebuild. Wow. All I know is is that Snider should have it’s own stadium. I was just talking to a buddy about how Spuller Stadium doesn’t look right with that giant Bruin at midfield. 

AGREED.

Now back to the lecture at hand...  As I feel that we are in a vortex that is outside of the Luersfield situation.  

Luers NEEDS turf...no question!  

• Disdain 1

40 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

AGREED.

Now back to the lecture at hand...  As I feel that we are in a vortex that is outside of the Luersfield situation.  

Luers NEEDS turf...no question!  

I’m open to Luers getting turf but to be completely honest I love that grass field, I think 9/10 nights it plays fast and is very well taken care of. As I stated previously, over an inch of rain will make even the best grass fields turn into pure slop. 

16 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

local TV coverage offers perspective for the CG vs Cathedral game at Arlington...see 30 sec mark...and that was before the game.  Very difficult to get to the outside, cut, etc.  Definitely slowed the game down.  Not sure how the fields compare.

At the 1:05 mark didn't look like Drew Wheat had a problem racing for a 67 yard TD on that same field.

@Lysanderperhaps the Irish Athletic Department can muster up to play at Broad Ripple for the next Cathedral vs CG game to appease the complaining. Do you think the administration at the corner of Crittenden Ave and Kesslar Blvd would be okay with that in 2 years now that they no longer play home games at the field of Champions? 😆

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

Even though it brings in more revenue than some of the other varsity facilities in the FWCS system. Again........perplexing to say the least. 

15 hours ago, XStar said:

My understanding is that most schools fund their turf privately but I admittedly don't know the details on many of them.  Penn has had turf for a long time now but I recall them soliciting private donations for it.  Still surprising to me that Luers can't find a way to fund it.  Off the top of my head, I know they have professional football and baseball players that have made pretty good money and I'm sure there are some other wealthy families in the fold.  

Fort Wayne public schools field turf is 100% tax payer money.

12 minutes ago, ASJCPUMA said:

So, not being from FW, is there room for a field at Snider?  
When they built the school was it too costly to put a field in then?

In reading this discussion I am just trying to understand the logistics on the situation

Depends on who u ask..some say there is room for a nice field..others..not so much..Northrop n Snider were one school that split with Snider having the smaller enrollment at the time the powers at be decided to share Northrop's field

Rumors have it that Anthony Spencer attempted to install Turf for the knights yet wasn't granted the request

4 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

At the 1:05 mark didn't look like Drew Wheat had a problem racing for a 67 yard TD on that same field.

Correct. It was easier to run north and south. But that one play doesn’t mean all the other slipping, sliding, and fumbling didn’t happen.   

Look, I don’t care where we play and I’m sure the kids had fun in the mud but showing one play where we had good footing doesn’t change anything. 

Why is it so hard to just admit the field was a sloppy mess and the parents should enjoy it as much as the kids?

27 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

Depends on who u ask..some say there is room for a nice field..others..not so much..Northrop n Snider were one school that split with Snider having the smaller enrollment at the time the powers at be decided to share Northrop's field

Rumors have it that Anthony Spencer attempted to install Turf for the knights yet wasn't granted the request

I get frustrated with the diocese and then the schools when someone wants to make a donation for something it takes an act of congress to accept it.  But if you give them straight cash with no restrictions the gold plate is there.