Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Luers moves game

24 minutes ago, BLKnights7 said:

They have pre existing stadiums it would be cheaper putting down turf for them than building a whole new stadium for snider. Believe me I think it would be cool to see snider have an official home stadium near campus but is it realistic when their situation at spuller stadium is doing fine and still being a "money maker". The revenue at one stadium hosting two teams outweighs the cost of operating an added stadium. I personally don't think anyone looks down on snider for their success either. They have proven they are a "blue blood" program in the state, and I wish them success in the tournament.

Yes it really creates a culture when you have a home stadium at your school

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JustRules said:

I was an official for that game. If they had a coach on the field communicating with the team he didn't do a very good job. We waited until the time expired and didn't see anyone coming in the distance so two of our officials started for the locker room. Near the back of the building we ran into two coaches walking toward the field. We told them they were already late for the second half and they were surprised. One of them ran back to the locker room with the official to get the team. So it was close to 20 minutes after halftime started and 5 minutes after the time on the clock expired before the team left the locker room. Mississinewa had an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at the end of the first half so with the foul for coming out late, Delta was kicking off from the +30 to start the second half. We were surprised they didn't try an onside kick since Mississinewa would still have poor field position if they recovered it. That was one of the most miserable weather nights I've worked with temps in the 40s with strong winds and a cold rain. It was Halloween too as I recall. Mississinewa had a good team that year, but it was obvious the players were miserable with the weather.

Yes it was Halloween.  It was miserable weather wise.  If I recall Mississinewa did have a coach watching the clock but the cell service or radio's weren't working due to the team being inside the school.  Yes both teams were very good with each having at least 1 player from the Senior class played D1.  That game had rain, sleet, snow, and high winds which made it bitter cold.  My son wore stretch knit gloves under his field gloves plus had hand warmers on the sidelines and couldn't stay warm.  He also wore long johns and a hoodie like almost all of the other kids.  Yes, the coach's should have set their watch to the time on the clock but at the same time Delta has room behind the visitor's stands to build a nice locker room type building and it would resolve the issue in the future.  If I recall the game was loaded with penalties on both sides which was probably because of the cold as the kids were trying to stay warm.

10 hours ago, BTF said:

A lot more to deal with like putting turf fields in at schools that don't bring in any revenue? Snider has a legitimate argument based on the program they built which just happens to be a money maker for FWCS. It's no secret Snider is looked down upon for the success that they've achieved. But whatever, they'll keep on winning whether have a stadium or don't . I mean, who cares if Snider's home field has a Bruin in the center of it, right? They still win. 

Anyway, this was a Luers thread to begin with. I don't know enough about the program to know if they even want turf or not. If that's what they want, I hope they get it. If not, then who cares. Their business is winning state championships regardless of the condition of their field. Kudos to them. 

2 points. First, I’ve stated previously in this thread and I’ll say it again, I believe Snider should have its own Stadium. The Panthers are the crème de la crème of FWCS teams and have been for decades. Second, and going off of my first point, I don’t think Snider is looked down upon for it’s success. The media in this town love the Panthers. Personally, as a Luers guy, I have a huge amount of respect for the Snider program and the way they do things. I do think, however, that Luers is looked down upon for its success.

2 hours ago, Indiansreloaded said:

Yes it was Halloween.  It was miserable weather wise.  If I recall Mississinewa did have a coach watching the clock but the cell service or radio's weren't working due to the team being inside the school.  Yes both teams were very good with each having at least 1 player from the Senior class played D1.  That game had rain, sleet, snow, and high winds which made it bitter cold.  My son wore stretch knit gloves under his field gloves plus had hand warmers on the sidelines and couldn't stay warm.  He also wore long johns and a hoodie like almost all of the other kids.  Yes, the coach's should have set their watch to the time on the clock but at the same time Delta has room behind the visitor's stands to build a nice locker room type building and it would resolve the issue in the future.  If I recall the game was loaded with penalties on both sides which was probably because of the cold as the kids were trying to stay warm.

That's the only time we've worked at Delta. I believe I was told later the visitors rarely go back to their locker room at halftime because of the distance. I'm not sure if they use the room you mentioned or just stayed on the field somewhere. Definitely not convenient. I checked our Hudl video and there were only 10 fouls called the entire game. Many were procedural (2 false starts, 1 illegal sub, 1 kick out of bounds, 1 illegal shift).

6 hours ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

2 points. First, I’ve stated previously in this thread and I’ll say it again, I believe Snider should have its own Stadium. The Panthers are the crème de la crème of FWCS teams and have been for decades. Second, and going off of my first point, I don’t think Snider is looked down upon for it’s success. The media in this town love the Panthers. Personally, as a Luers guy, I have a huge amount of respect for the Snider program and the way they do things. I do think, however, that Luers is looked down upon for its success.

Agree. The media has always treated Snider well. Opposing teams, coaches, and fans have always been sportsmanlike. I'll pass on taking "looked down upon" any further. 

I'm not sure what anyone's beef with Luers is other than some people were calling for a bump up to 3A for several years. I was one of those "fans." Yes, I'm a fan of Luers and what that small school has achieved. I've always felt like they could make a case for best "pound for pound" program in the state. I suggested for a long time, before the success factor was implemented, that Luers voluntarily bumped up to 3A. The Knights play a high caliber brand of football and I would love nothing more for them to get their first 3A title. Unfortunately though, every time they bump up, they seem to be going through a down cycle. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Agree. The media has always treated Snider well. Opposing teams, coaches, and fans have always been sportsmanlike. I'll pass on taking "looked down upon" any further. 

I'm not sure what anyone's beef with Luers is other than some people were calling for a bump up to 3A for several years. I was one of those "fans." Yes, I'm a fan of Luers and what that small school has achieved. I've always felt like they could make a case for best "pound for pound" program in the state. I suggested for a long time, before the success factor was implemented, that Luers voluntarily bumped up to 3A. The Knights play a high caliber brand of football and I would love nothing more for them to get their first 3A title. Unfortunately though, every time they bump up, they seem to be going through a down cycle. 

Luers is not-in a “down cycle “ this year,duh . So maybe good things will happen. 

10 hours ago, BTF said:

Now I’m not saying at some points over the years the passion of the game or a certain rivalry hasn’t caused some people in these parts to act out of sorts but I feel like that happens everywhere for the most part. 

I’ve always been for a move up 1 or 2 or however many classes. When I was at Luers we were in 3A. It was the first move up before the SF. I can tell you in my experience, we didn’t care what class we were in. We just wanted to redeem ourselves from the year before (3-8) and show everyone just how good we were, regardless of class. I can’t speak to now but I would assume that these players today wouldn’t mind. My gripe with the “looking down on” is more local than anything else. Anytime Snider or BD win the SAC or have a good team, it’s because they’re good programs and that’s what they do. If Luers win the SAC or have a good team, like this year, it’s because the conference is “down”. I get we’re a small school punching above our weight class every week but I think it’s unfair when the local media diminishes 1 school’s accomplishments but celebrates the others. 

(I know this is again slightly off topic I apologize!)

1 hour ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

Now I’m not saying at some points over the years the passion of the game or a certain rivalry hasn’t caused some people in these parts to act out of sorts but I feel like that happens everywhere for the most part. 

I’ve always been for a move up 1 or 2 or however many classes. When I was at Luers we were in 3A. It was the first move up before the SF. I can tell you in my experience, we didn’t care what class we were in. We just wanted to redeem ourselves from the year before (3-8) and show everyone just how good we were, regardless of class. I can’t speak to now but I would assume that these players today wouldn’t mind. My gripe with the “looking down on” is more local than anything else. Anytime Snider or BD win the SAC or have a good team, it’s because they’re good programs and that’s what they do. If Luers win the SAC or have a good team, like this year, it’s because the conference is “down”. I get we’re a small school punching above our weight class every week but I think it’s unfair when the local media diminishes 1 school’s accomplishments but celebrates the others. 

Completely agree, it's unfair to call it like that. IMO, this wasn't a down year, but instead all the traditional non-powers in the conference were actually playing better, meaning this would actually be a tougher year in the conference. Don't underestimate the play of Northrop, Wayne, and North Side just because Luers was at the top.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

Who said the conference is down? The combined strength of Snider, Dwenger, Homestead, and Carroll is as strong as it's ever been. And after the SAC goes 4-0 tomorrow night against non conference foes, I think we'll see first hand that this conference isn't down at all. Snider, Dwenger, Homestead, and Carroll are all good football teams this year. Luers beat three of them. That speaks VOLUMES for a school of their size. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Who said the conference is down? The combined strength of Snider, Dwenger, Homestead, and Carroll is as strong as it's ever been. And after the SAC goes 4-0 tomorrow night against non conference foes, I think we'll see first hand that this conference isn't down at all. Snider, Dwenger, Homestead, and Carroll are all good football teams this year. Luers beat three of them. That speaks VOLUMES for a school of their size. 

The guy from OPS J. Kenny I think is his name? The other guy who does the “Inside the Zone” segment opposite Marini. When discussing last weeks big showdown JK said he that the Knights’ success this year could be due to the SAC being down. Specifically, mentioning Bishop Dwenger and Homestead as teams having a “down” year. To me, Homestead is probably one of the best, if not the best, 6-3 team in the state. The same with Dwenger at 5-4. I’m no expert or anything, but I don’t consider this a down year for the SAC at all.

15 minutes ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

The guy from OPS J. Kenny I think is his name? The other guy who does the “Inside the Zone” segment opposite Marini. When discussing last weeks big showdown JK said he that the Knights’ success this year could be due to the SAC being down. Specifically, mentioning Bishop Dwenger and Homestead as teams having a “down” year. To me, Homestead is probably one of the best, if not the best, 6-3 team in the state. The same with Dwenger at 5-4. I’m no expert or anything, but I don’t consider this a down year for the SAC at all.

I heard that too. It Kinda p-eed me off. 

2 minutes ago, Gridiron_Junkie said:

I heard that too. It Kinda p-eed me off. 

It was just a bad take in my opinion. I mean is Sniders success this year because the SAC is down? Or how about Carroll? You’d never hear that same take about one of the bigger schools in town. Give credit to Marini though, he seems to know good football when he sees it regardless of school size or prestige.

5 hours ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

Lol, Luers 8-1 record this year has nothing to do with the SAC being down. 

Homestead has three losses this year because Snider, Carroll, and Luers have trended up. If the latter three programs were the same as last year, Homestead would be undefeated again. At the very minimum, the SAC is as good as they were the previous two years. 

Homestead and Dwenger being down this year doesn't qualify the SAC as being down since the other big three are having up years. The Spartans are "down", but not by very much. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 2:28 PM, johnny U said:

For a school with a  great winning tradition in football, Luers has the worst facilities of any successful programs in the state.  Talking about playing field, press box, concession stand, restrooms. dressing rooms  etc.  Most schools with multiple state championship have just outstanding facilities, except Luers.  I don't blame them for moving to Dwenger.  Any place is better than  Luers.

Totally agree.   Will not attend a game there.

6 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

Totally agree.   Will not attend a game there.

They, being Bishop Luers High School, are just lucky to have a stadium of any description. Back in the 1960's and 1970's the Athlete's (Football) Father's Club had set up a fund raising program for just this purpose. On Sunday evenings after Sunday evenings for many a year, these dads hosted card parties (that's Catholic slang for BINGOS) in the school cafeteria. The Mungovan Family helped out from  day one, so also did Thomas 'TUCK' Tone, and many others of that time. At one time the school principal wanted the raised funds to be turned in to the school's general fund, but the Club President, did not capitulate, and continued to keep all of the funding separate. Eventually the very basic stadium was constructed, and with repurposed stadium lighting from some baseball park, which the club had purchased, and relocated. Now I'm sure some of my details are sketchy. So, someone has mor information about this very old project, be my guest and have at it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, statmurp_10 said:

They, being Bishop Luers High School, are just lucky to have a stadium of any description. Back in the 1960's and 1970's the Athlete's (Football) Father's Club had set up a fund raising program for just this purpose. On Sunday evenings after Sunday evenings for many a year, these dads hosted card parties (that's Catholic slang for BINGOS) in the school cafeteria. The Mungovan Family helped out from  day one, so also did Thomas 'TUCK' Tone, and many others of that time. At one time the school principal wanted the raised funds to be turned in to the school's general fund, but the Club President, did not capitulate, and continued to keep all of the funding separate. Eventually the very basic stadium was constructed, and with repurposed stadium lighting from some baseball park, which the club had purchased, and relocated. Now I'm sure some of my details are sketchy. So, someone has more information about this very old project, be my guest and have at it.

That is a cool story....thanks for sharing it. Being from Indy, Catholic "card parties" was slang for high stakes poker. Italian Fest always drew a good number of players.

6 hours ago, statmurp_10 said:

They, being Bishop Luers High School, are just lucky to have a stadium of any description. Back in the 1960's and 1970's the Athlete's (Football) Father's Club had set up a fund raising program for just this purpose. On Sunday evenings after Sunday evenings for many a year, these dads hosted card parties (that's Catholic slang for BINGOS) in the school cafeteria. The Mungovan Family helped out from  day one, so also did Thomas 'TUCK' Tone, and many others of that time. At one time the school principal wanted the raised funds to be turned in to the school's general fund, but the Club President, did not capitulate, and continued to keep all of the funding separate. Eventually the very basic stadium was constructed, and with repurposed stadium lighting from some baseball park, which the club had purchased, and relocated. Now I'm sure some of my details are sketchy. So, someone has mor information about this very old project, be my guest and have at it.

There was a priest at Andrean Fr. Eckert who raised a lot of money for the stadium named after him.  Sometimes you cannot wait on the administration as they will always say they need the money for other things

7 hours ago, statmurp_10 said:

1 hour ago, ASJCPUMA said:

There was a priest at Andrean Fr. Eckert who raised a lot of money for the stadium named after him.  Sometimes you cannot wait on the administration as they will always say they need the money for other things

From what I was told a few years back it has to do with the diocese and ongoing current projects at the school. Apparently, in order to get any upgrades done to Luersfield or the complex surrounding, they (diocese) need to approve. 

Luers has 2 weeks to get ready for Eastside at home.  Dwenger will also be at home vs Snider that week. So does Luers risk playing Eastside on a Sloppy field or are they looking for another SAC team to rent out a turf field in 2weeks.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

Luers has 2 weeks to get ready for Eastside at home.  Dwenger will also be at home vs Snider that week. So does Luers risk playing Eastside on a Sloppy field or are they looking for another SAC team to rent out a turf field in 2weeks.

They’ll play it at Luersfield. Only way i can see them moving is if we get another monsoon that week!