Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

Tournament Upsets/Darkhorses


Recommended Posts

Not sure if they’re considered a dark horse but the Mishawaka Cavemen with senior quarterback Justin Fisher (hopefully healthy). They should get Michigan city in the sectional and Valpo in the regional in what will be 2 outstanding matchups 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fenderbender said:

3 out of the last 4 seasons, Lawrenceburg has played a PAC/SIAC team coming out of the GS sectional.  Lost by 3 TDs every time.

I think GS makes it 4/5.

GS, to me, is clearly the favorite coming out of the South.  I just think their Regional v. Lawrenceburg likely offers more challenge than their SemiState against either Danville or TriWest (their “preset” opponents).

As an aside, I have missed the banter of the EIAC folks around here this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lysander said:

GS, to me, is clearly the favorite coming out of the South.  I just think their Regional v. Lawrenceburg likely offers more challenge than their SemiState against either Danville or TriWest (their “preset” opponents).

As an aside, I have missed the banter of the EIAC folks around here this year.

Agree...where is STC?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I one is talking about Evansville Mater Dei.  Losses to 9-0 Jasper and always tough 7-2 Memorial.  Other south sleepers Linton, Monrovia, Speedway, and LCC.  I think we are headed for another Luers vs Mater Dei final.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, BTF said:

4A - Leo. They're undefeated, so why not. Outside of East Noble, they really haven't had a close game this year. And it still would have taken a touchdown and a two point conversion by the Knights to send that game into overtime. Don't be surprised if they grit it out all the way to state. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see EN beat Leo tomorrow. I fully expect EN to bring out all the stops, they have the best player on the field in Rowan Zolman and if they can find ways to get the ball in his hands we will see another close game in Kendallville. EN came back from a 20 point deficit in the first matchup and looked like a completely different team in the second half. If they can limit big plays and score on their first two drives we will have a heck of a game tomorrow night. The big question for EN will be the same as it has been the whole season, which version of their young QB shows up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6A: Hamilton SE- they’re gonna get  Westfield again, and it’s hard to beat the same team twice in the same year. Can the Royals take out the Rocks and shake up 6A north?

Carroll - they’ve got a very good quarterback and when you have one of those you can steal some games. They’ve got a hard road with Homestead and then Warsaw but if they can get by those teams I think a regional matchup with Westfield/Hamilton SE will be interesting. 

5A: Harrison - Could they shock Zionsville? They get two weeks to prepare for the Eagles while Zionsville only gets a week to get ready for the triple option. I think that is definitely a boon for the Raiders’ chances of winning. Game was relatively close last year and I think Zionsville is a little worse and Harrison is a little better. Should be a good one. 

Michigan City - Getting healthy at the right time and gaining momentum stringing together some wins after a tough 3 game losing streak. Very good coaching staff with experience coaching in big games. Tough road ahead but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this team shocked the state and made a run all the way down to LOS. 

4A: Lowell - huge win over Andrean gives them a lot of momentum heading into the postseason. They’re gonna get Hobart again in the sectional championship in what should be a slugfest. The team who wins that game very easily could be representing 4A north down at LOS. 

3A: Hanover Central - Should cruise to win their first sectional to set up a likely matchup with Marian. Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see the Wildcats get to the semi state. This is a solid football team. 

2A: LCC- being in the southern half of the bracket is definitely an advantage. Could see them making a run with their postseason experience and battle tested QB. 

1A: Winamac - If anyone is gonna take out Adams Central in 1A north, I think it will be these guys. Made a run last year and returned a lot of that team. Experienced and hungry. It should come down to them and AC in the semi state. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Prospect said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see EN beat Leo tomorrow. I fully expect EN to bring out all the stops, they have the best player on the field in Rowan Zolman and if they can find ways to get the ball in his hands we will see another close game in Kendallville. EN came back from a 20 point deficit in the first matchup and looked like a completely different team in the second half. If they can limit big plays and score on their first two drives we will have a heck of a game tomorrow night. The big question for EN will be the same as it has been the whole season, which version of their young QB shows up. 

East Noble............the other dark horse!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, BTF said:

East Noble............the other dark horse!

Don't get me wrong, I could also totally see tomorrow night's game being a blowout if EN cannot limit the big plays, but between EN or Leo I see the winner of this game making it to semi-state 100%. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

 

5A: Harrison - Could they shock Zionsville? They get two weeks to prepare for the Eagles while Zionsville only gets a week to get ready for the triple option. I think that is definitely a boon for the Raiders’ chances of winning. Game was relatively close last year and I think Zionsville is a little worse and Harrison is a little better. Should be a good one. 

I like what I see at Harrison and I think Harrison looks better this season than last.  They competed fairly well against Roncalli last season. I'm really anxious to see them go head-to-head with Zionsville this year.  They had a chip on their shoulder with Jeff.  They went into the locker room at the half down 27-21 and emerged in the second half to score on all five offensive series of the second half except the victory formation drive after a Harrison interception in the last minute of the game.

I think next year is likely to see Harrison coming to a peak; unfortunately, just in time to be moved up to 6A from 5A.  Their younger programs, JV and Freshman, have also taken on some different opponents to make them stronger.  Frosh squared off against Chatard, Cathedral, and Lowell the last couple of weeks instead of playing Richmond, Muncie Central, and Kokomo and JV squared off against Chatard and Tri-West as opposed to playing Anderson and Richmond ... also had Brebeuf and Westfield as part of their schedule too.   JV squad is looking good with a single loss this season to Westfield.  Westfield won that one by a point thanks to a 47-yard field goal from their sophomore kicker.  The year before this team had lost to Westfield by a TD.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Staxawax said:

What have you seen from Merrillville or Westfield that makes you think the Pirates can get over the hump? The Pirates sailed through the regular season last year (minus Chatard) and sailed through this year (no Chatard). Westfield again goes undefeated in a competitive HCC. This is like saying this is the year the MIC does not win it all. The odds are about the same for Merrillville. 

I really haven't seen anything from Merrillville other than what I've read and by viewing scores.  I am not at all saying they are better than Westfield.  But when I study the 6A bracket, it would seem Merrillville has an easier path to the semi-state than Westfield.  The less wear and tear would seem to be a benefit.  I believe if the 2 meet, it will be an excellent matchup.  How's that for going out on a limb??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, BTF said:

6A - Homestead. Although I think Carroll will come out of that sectional, don't sleep on the Spartans. They were just on the brink of beating Carroll, Snider, and Luers. We're talking about a total margin of 13pts in those defeats. They also waxed a Dwenger team that is better than most are giving them credit for. With a good balance of offense and defense, don't be surprised to see them tangle with Westfield for the second straight year. 

5A - Dwenger. Most people see a 5-4 team and think that the Saints are way down this year. This is probably the best 4 loss team I've ever seen in the SAC. Though they didn't perform well against Homestead and Carroll, they were leading Luers late in the 4th before a last minute score by the Knights. They also gave Snider a scare with a nice comeback late in the game. They have just enough pieces of the puzzle to put together a couple of good games for the right to play Zionsville in a rematch from last year.

4A - Leo. They're undefeated, so why not. Outside of East Noble, they really haven't had a close game this year. And it still would have taken a touchdown and a two point conversion by the Knights to send that game into overtime. Don't be surprised if they grit it out all the way to state. 

3A - West Lafayette. Football seems to be pretty hard nosed in Lafayette. I'm kind of out of my league in this class, but I'll roll with the Red Raiders.

2A - Andrean. There was a lot of talk at the beginning of the season about how they were the team to beat in this class. Maybe that team comes together in the playoffs.

1A - Churubusco. I've got three other Fort Wayne area teams on my list, so why not add a fourth. Let's see what the boys of Turtle Town are made of over the next few weeks. 

 

I'm mad that you said every single team for every single reason I was going to say lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, BTF said:

6A - Homestead. Although I think Carroll will come out of that sectional, don't sleep on the Spartans. They were just on the brink of beating Carroll, Snider, and Luers. We're talking about a total margin of 13pts in those defeats. They also waxed a Dwenger team that is better than most are giving them credit for. With a good balance of offense and defense, don't be surprised to see them tangle with Westfield for the second straight year. 

5A - Dwenger. Most people see a 5-4 team and think that the Saints are way down this year. This is probably the best 4 loss team I've ever seen in the SAC. Though they didn't perform well against Homestead and Carroll, they were leading Luers late in the 4th before a last minute score by the Knights. They also gave Snider a scare with a nice comeback late in the game. They have just enough pieces of the puzzle to put together a couple of good games for the right to play Zionsville in a rematch from last year.

4A - Leo. They're undefeated, so why not. Outside of East Noble, they really haven't had a close game this year. And it still would have taken a touchdown and a two point conversion by the Knights to send that game into overtime. Don't be surprised if they grit it out all the way to state. 

3A - West Lafayette. Football seems to be pretty hard nosed in Lafayette. I'm kind of out of my league in this class, but I'll roll with the Red Raiders 

2A - Andrean. There was a lot of talk at the beginning of the season about how they were the team to beat in this class. Maybe that team comes together in the playoffs.

1A - Churubusco. I've got three other Fort Wayne area teams on my list, so why not add a fourth. Let's see what the boys of Turtle Town are made of over the next few weeks. 

 

Who the hell is the Red Raiders? I gotta go 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Memorial and coach Hurley. 5 trips in 13 seasons. He’s pretty good at finding his way through the tournament. If they can find a way to beat Jasper anything is possible. He’s figured out how to win semi states when they are the underdogs. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I really haven't seen anything from Merrillville other than what I've read and by viewing scores.  I am not at all saying they are better than Westfield.  But when I study the 6A bracket, it would seem Merrillville has an easier path to the semi-state than Westfield.  The less wear and tear would seem to be a benefit.  I believe if the 2 meet, it will be an excellent matchup.  How's that for going out on a limb??

Eh, didn’t help em last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Memorial and coach Hurley. 5 trips in 13 seasons. He’s pretty good at finding his way through the tournament. If they can find a way to beat Jasper anything is possible. He’s figured out how to win semi states when they are the underdogs. 

There is always something brewing with the Tigers when it comes to the postseason. Hurley always have something up his sleeve, almost won the sectional championship game last year, but fell short to a great Central team. Could they bee something up this year, we shall see

Edited by TigerFan20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Eh, didn’t help em last year.

If anything, it's last years experience that will propel Merrillville. They know what Westfield brings to the table............no surprises. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...