Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Quarter limit

I was told that a jv game was won by forfeit do to a player play  in 8 quarters for the weekend.  But how does this happen that a coaching staff does not know many a quarters a player plays in. 

the bigger question if a teams does this do they have to forfeit both games i they play  in or just one.

well…the coaches should have known and not allowed it…it’s a rule in place for a reason….but on this topic I’m not sure qtrs is the best approach to manage players….but counting snaps played also isn’t a great option because of 2 way players and teams with smaller numbers. 

Maybe it’s a thing and I’m unaware…but I don’t think qtrs played under a running clock should count….but then again, that’s just making the younger and generally smaller kids play more snaps

37 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I was told that a jv game was won by forfeit do to a player play  in 8 quarters for the weekend.  But how does this happen that a coaching staff does not know many a quarters a player plays in. 

the bigger question if a teams does this do they have to forfeit both games i they play  in or just one.

1) It is the responsibility of the staff to track it, they should have known

2) He would have had 4 quarters available for the Varsity game, so the violation didn't happen until Q2 of the JV game,
    therefore, only the JV game should have been forfeited. (The week starts on Friday for counting quarters)

I am not aware of any adjustment to the quarter rule based on a running clock.

Side note...special teams doesn't count, a kid can play special teams the whole V game, one quarter of O and/or D in the V game (1 snap = 1 quarter) and 4 quarters of the JV game and it is legal. (or any other combination of 5 quarters of O and/or D along with up to 8 quarters of special teams)

The Weekly quarter rules are as followed.  and with the Stipulation that All Special Teams plays do not count

4 Varsity Quarters = 0 JV Quarters

3 Varsity Quarters = 1 JV Quarter

0, 1 or 2 Varsity Quarters = 4 JV Quarters

This is gone over on Page 122 of the IHSAA By Laws book.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

It was a Cg jv game and the team they where playing I will not name because it seems you can  not say anything bad about them and I do not want to get into trouble.

JV is done for the year, Cathedral wouldn’t get in trouble, nor do I think anyone would care at this point. 

2 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

It was a Cg jv game and the team they where playing I will not name because it seems you can  not say anything bad about them and I do not want to get into trouble.

Why would you get in trouble? Talking about a team is one thing. Talking about the field conditions is a completely different thing, and even appears it would not even factor into your post

27 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Why would you get in trouble? Talking about a team is one thing. Talking about the field conditions is a completely different thing, and even appears it would not even factor into your post

I really did not want to name the school because it does not matter what school because it was not the kids fault more that how a coaching staff let it happen.

also I was in the mood to be a little bit of a smart butt

also if this does happen would both games be a forfeit 

Edited by Trojanmp52
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I really did not want to name the school because it does not matter what school because it was not the kids fault more that how a coaching staff let it happen.

also I was in the mood to be a little bit of a smart butt

also if this does happen would both games be a forfeit 

No, because he was eligible in the varsity game against CG, and the JV game doesn’t matter. You could literally go to the front doorstep of the IHSAA and they wouldn’t care at this point. JV season is over. Who gives a shit if a kid played too many quarters week 9 in a JV game. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

He’s talking about a Cathedral JV player that played too many quarters in week 9… LOL I mean, how bored must he be to be talking JV quarters player in week 9 of the season.

The kid played 6 plays on Friday and is a situational/relief player. To penalize an entire team because of a silly quarter rule is a joke. I understand the rules and they make complete sense, but it should be 25% of the game/snaps rather than quarters. 6 out of 153 plays. Please.... CG was really butt hurt about losing their JV game that they had to dig into this. Sad. Take the L. Sorry you didn't have an undefeated season. Scoreboard doesn't lie. #LetTheKidsPlay

32 minutes ago, coachfreytag said:

The kid played 6 plays on Friday and is a situational/relief player. To penalize an entire team because of a silly quarter rule is a joke. I understand the rules and they make complete sense, but it should be 25% of the game/snaps rather than quarters. 6 out of 153 plays. Please.... CG was really butt hurt about losing their JV game that they had to dig into this. Sad. Take the L. Sorry you didn't have an undefeated season. Scoreboard doesn't lie. #LetTheKidsPlay

Rules are rules who are you to question the validity of them?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coachfreytag said:

"I understand the rules and they makes complete sense"...."silly quarter rule is a joke"  Which one is it?  Pick one Coach.

As a coach, aren't you supposed to set the example?   Can't you and your staff push for rule changes, assuming they make sense, and until the rule is changed follow it in lieu of justifying non-compliance?

CG butt hurt about a JV loss?  I highly doubt that.  Have expectations for a coaching staff's behaviors?  That is a different question.

#Integrityisgood

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coachfreytag said:

Now this is just priceless.  Surely you aren't a Cathedral coach.

Ya... and how many "Situational" kids from the other teams stayed home and watched film instead of playing the JV snaps.  I'm sure CG had some boys not dressing JV that could have made a huge difference in the outcome. LOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You either follow the rules or you don't. #LetALLtheKidsPlay then!!  Integrity is really important.

21 hours ago, coachfreytag said:

I'm sorry...but you are leaving me with questions?  Are you really a coach with Cathedral?  And if so, why would you be so brazen to document non-compliance with an IHSAA rule on a public forum, insulting the other team along the way?  The rule, whether you agree or not, is for player safety.  Additionally, the impact of playing excessive quarters isn't just a Saturday impact...that impact is also to the friday night varsity game of utilizing additional depth that you may have planned for Saturday only.

I get it...if you are who I think you  may be...the rivalry with CG goes back a ways....but getting past your personal feelings for CG, can you explain yourself?  Perhaps I am missing something.

9 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

It's a JV game.  Who cares?

TSFF has done the same thing, but it went unreported...because...WHO CARES?!?

Then eliminate the rule...its there for a reason and that's player safety.  The impact isn't just to the Saturday game...exceeding quarters also allows more contribution to the friday night game and increases depth....depth that may absolutely provide benefit.  Additionally, the other team following the rule keeps kids out of the game.  It does create advantage.

If you don't plan on adhering to IHSAA rules, at least reach out to the opposing coach, so they can decide how to play the game.  Their kids may want to play and gain experience as well.

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Then eliminate the rule...its there for a reason and that's player safety.  The impact isn't just to the Saturday game...exceeding quarters also allows more contribution to the friday night game and increases depth....depth that may absolutely provide benefit.  Additionally, the other team following the rule keeps kids out of the game.  It does create advantage.

If you don't plan on adhering to IHSAA rules, at least reach out to the opposing coach, so they can decide how to play the game.  Their kids may want to play and gain experience as well.

Is anyone really not utilizing a substitution on Friday night to keep someone eligible for more quarters on Saturday morning? Any program I have been around has been all in for Friday night, anyone on the sidelines and eligible to play is fair game...then JV were kids that did not get the playing time Friday.  I never really thought of not playing a kid Friday to save for Saturday.  I never understood how Michigan could play JV games on Thursday night without seeing who had played in the varsity game.

I find it kind of funny that three people that committed on this as who cares let them play and such are coach’s or supports of schools that have had a lot of success at playing at class or two above there enrollment level.  

do I like the rule no I think it should be based on that you have to play a min about of played for it to be considered a quarter played, but it is not.  it is like the dress number rule for the tournament do I like it no but you have to follow it.

1 hour ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I find it kind of funny that three people that committed on this as who cares let them play and such are coach’s or supports of schools that have had a lot of success at playing at class or two above there enrollment level.  

do I like the rule no I think it should be based on that you have to play a min about of played for it to be considered a quarter played, but it is not.  it is like the dress number rule for the tournament do I like it no but you have to follow it.

A couple of weeks ago when I asked a poster who associates themselves with the school in question in this thread to create a list of advantages/perks that his/her favorite school benefits from, I was not even considering something like this, lol.

All kidding aside, plenty of rules in society are dumb and not enforceable but siding with the guilty party and trashing the rule itself is a ridiculous take.

I surely hope the "coach" who posted above is not seriously affiliated with the program.  Embarrassing.