Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HUDL's New Storage Policy

They called me 3 weeks ago:   I knew this was coming when we were talking and I advised my guy on the other end that they will come off greedy and told him that we will have sent Hudl over 20k thus far since 2011 and you want to now charge for storing our own games, many times being used for future teaching tools.   So Gross

I am really looking forward to hearing more about the VAR system:   Dropboxing games, Terrabytes.   etc. 

Just from the I.T. point of view I understand it.   There are some significant costs in storing Terrabytes and terrabytes of data for years.

I don't know what the yearly cost is, so I can't determine if Hudl is fleecing anyone.  But datacenters are not cheap.

My recommendation would be to archive your films older than a determined time period to local storage.  BE SURE TO BACK THAT STORAGE UP!  You always have your important files in at least two locations.  If you knew the number of my clients that didn't listen to me on the multiple locations point and lost their data you would be amazed.

We are looking into the portable drives. Interesting comments on twitter. That 150 hours can add up quickly. The hudl rep uses the notion that one game is just 40 minutes. But an end zone view doubles that. Add to it that we film some parts of practice, we get two games at least when scouting, we film some of our freshmen and jv games, position coaches will create playlists for grading, and players will add highlights throughout their season. Before you know it, that 150 hours is gone. 

As I understand it, scout video still belongs to the team who originally uploaded. They aren't creating new instances of those files when they are exchanged. The core video still exists. Your version just has layers over it that allow you to view it, add your own telestrations, etc. I would be surprised if scount video counts toward this limit. Definitely check with Hudl.

VAR's promotional videos tout them as server based rather than internet based. It sounds like they are assuming only one coach is using it on his laptop. What if all coaches want to access it? How can players access and review? How can they create highlight videos? If it's server based you need to be connected to the server in order to view it. The internet is nothing more than a series of shared servers. I think the VAR guys have a great analytics tool but they either don't understand how others will be using it or they are glossing over it hoping you won't notice and buy their service.

The exchange part does send the video to the team with Hudl, but they now have to download it from your Google Drive (time consuming) and then upload it to their Hudl account (time consuming). Good luck with that. Like them or love them, Hudl has created a very efficient system for video sharing. Jimmy makes great points above regarding data storage. I also work in IT and highly recommend teams keep any practice or game video they want in the future offline. Use Hudl for 3-4 years worth of game video, current season practice video, and any scout video (assuming it won't count against you because the video itself isn't stored on your account). If you buy something like VAR you are doing it for your own analytics purposes if that's worth the additional cost to you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...