Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

State tournament and playing fields

Ok I want to start out by saying this is not a knock on any school or team but a question about should ihsaa looking to move some of the games played in later rounds do to pour field conditions.  Let take Indian creek they play on a grass fields and have had 14 games played on between varsity jv and freshman, not counting on what else it has been used for. We have a lot rain the last few weeks and more coming this weekend.  You have several schools close by with field turf, why not move the game.  

47 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Ok I want to start out by saying this is not a knock on any school or team but a question about should ihsaa looking to move some of the games played in later rounds do to pour field conditions.  Let take Indian creek they play on a grass fields and have had 14 games played on between varsity jv and freshman, not counting on what else it has been used for. We have a lot rain the last few weeks and more coming this weekend.  You have several schools close by with field turf, why not move the game.  

I think it’s a slippery slope of trying to decide what is and what isn’t good playing conditions 

I do like the idea of having neutral site semi state games though….but that requires a lot of planning and work….and doesn’t make sense if the distance between the two teams is less than an hour.

I just don’t think a semi state team should have to travel 2+ hours for a game 

There are glaciers that have moved faster than the IHSAA on this topic.  The discussion of neutral sites or moving games has been around since artificial surfaces started cropping up around the state.  I just don't see it happening, even if it makes sense.  

Teams have voluntarily moved games, but I don't think anyone has ever been ordered to do so.  I just don't see it happening.

• Like 1

As more and more turf fields appear in Indiana it would seem the time has come to start talking about neutral sights for semi states and maybe regionals.

I am sure people can think of many places that would be great venues for a big game.

People say the gate and concessions.  I am not sure how that is divided up past the sectional but it would seem some formula could be used to help the schools playing

4 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I completely agree.  No field that has a steady stream that flows rapidly or anything that comes or goes in a steady stream and in large numbers on it should host a tournament game.  Now, if we are talking about fields that have poor field conditions, well then that's a whole different discussion.

Edited by IndplsCathedral_Dad
Left out a word

3 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

There are glaciers that have moved faster than the IHSAA on this topic.  The discussion of neutral sites or moving games has been around since artificial surfaces started cropping up around the state.  I just don't see it happening, even if it makes sense.  

Teams have voluntarily moved games, but I don't think anyone has ever been ordered to do so.  I just don't see it happening.

A couple of years ago, Bishop Dwenger was told to MOVE their Regional game from Zollner Stadium (due to field conditions).  They played East Noble @ USF.

I know, because I was there! 

I am also sure that this happened again, though not sure if it was Bishop Dwenger or Concordia that had to move.  But eventually Zollner Stadium got field turf, and then Bishop Dwenger built their own turfed field on campus.   Problem solved for both schools. 

Also, Snider had routinely moved postseason games from Spuller Stadium to Wayne Stadium due to field conditions; though NOT decreed to "move the game".    Spuller Stadium now also has field turf....that problem solved also. 

Edited by Yuccaguy

32 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

A couple of years ago, Bishop Dwenger was told to MOVE their Regional game from Zollner Stadium (due to field conditions).  They played East Noble @ USF.

I know, because I was there! 

I am also sure that this happened again, though not sure if it was Bishop Dwenger or Concordia that had to move.  But eventually Zollner Stadium got field turf, and then Bishop Dwenger built their own turfed field on campus.   Problem solved for both schools. 

Also, Snider had routinely moved postseason games from Spuller Stadium to Wayne Stadium due to field conditions; though NOT decreed to "move the game".    Spuller Stadium now also has field turf....that problem solved also. 

When Bishop Chatard used the Broad Ripple Field, the IHSAA stepped in and said the field was not in good condition and to move the game. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Irishman said:

When Bishop Chatard used the Broad Ripple Field, the IHSAA stepped in and said the field was not in good condition and to move the game. 

Yep.  Pretty sure that happened more than once.

I still chuckle at the image of Elder and St. Louis DeSmet playing (and losing) at Broad Ripple in 2006-7.   I often wondered what they made of the place.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

IHSAA needs to have a 5 year grace period for every football playing school to get artificial as a condition of membership

I am not so sure that they (IHSAA) should impose their "will" in this situation.  

Just because we CAN play games in adverse conditions, doesn’t mean we SHOULD.

Weather itself is beyond our control, but how those facilities hold up in certain weather conditions is.

FWIW, I also don’t churn my own butter, ride a horse and buggy to and from work nor watch football games on a projector screen.

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

Weather itself is beyond our control, but how those facilities hold up in certain weather conditions is.

FWIW, I also don’t churn my own butter, ride a horse and buggy to and from work nor watch football games on a projector screen.

Just because we can move games to artificial turf doesn't mean we SHOULD.

True.

FWIW, I also don't ride a segway, fly everywhere I go, nor watch football on 4K...

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

Again, I ask @temptation are you actually an "official"?  Or just a guy using the moniker of an UNBIASED OFFICIAL to respond as a "member" to numerous postings?  

23 minutes ago, Brettlow said:

Just because we can move games to artificial turf doesn't mean we SHOULD.

True.

FWIW, I also don't ride a segway, fly everywhere I go, nor watch football on 4K...

Putting words in my mouth.  Never said artificial turf.  Nice try though.

There are grassy areas used for elementary field day and middle school fields superior to Arlington Middle School.

We should always strive to do better.

23 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Again, I ask @temptation are you actually an "official"?  Or just a guy using the moniker of an UNBIASED OFFICIAL to respond as a "member" to numerous postings?  

I’m the “official” leader in positive contribution points to this forum over the past 7 days…good enough for me.

• Disdain 1

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

There are grassy areas used for elementary field day and middle school fields superior to Arlington Middle School.

I’m the “official” leader in positive contribution points to this forum over the past 7 days…good enough for me.

Best Laughing GIFs | Gfycat

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

POSER....   

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Yep.  Pretty sure that happened more than once.

I still chuckle at the image of Elder and St. Louis DeSmet playing (and losing) at Broad Ripple in 2006-7.   I often wondered what they made of the place.  

Come on we must conclude they thought it was spectacular! Field of Champions (or broken dreams depending on which team you are). 

I remember going to a game there when Cathedral played someone (quite a few years back old foggy brain). I was totally shocked West Virginia's band stopped by and played at halftime (they were to be in South Bend the next day for WVU vs ND).

Is the Ripple still one of the only fields with a larger visitor bleachers (seat at your own risk) than home bleachers? And yes I do remember when the Visitor bleachers use to be the home bleachers. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Did that game become "The Ice Bowl" at Lawrence North?