Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

State tournament and playing fields

11 hours ago, WCGrad92 said:

Everyone does realize that Arlington Middle School is actually the old Arlington High School. That field they played at was the old High School.

I know the field wasn't great for that game, and I am not disputing anyones argument for where that game should be played or shouldn't be played. 

The stadium itself is the old High School stadium is all I am saying. 

Im  OUT

It is fun to watch some lose their mind over it. Probably wasn't going to be many grass fields hold up that night with the rain. Games over though there were no injuries and all the kids playing seemed to have fun playing regardless of adult complaints.

On topic of moving games. Didn't Pioneer move a game one year late in the post season from their grass field?

30 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

It is fun to watch some lose their mind over it. Probably wasn't going to be many grass fields hold up that night with the rain. Games over though there were no injuries and all the kids playing seemed to have fun playing regardless of adult complaints.

On topic of moving games. Didn't Pioneer move a game one year late in the post season from their grass field?

Just to be clear, no one is “losing their mind.”

However, the hypocrisy of moving tonight’s game against PLAINFIELD while maintaining the stance that the field was not only playable but that CG fans were “whining” is damn rich.

They showed the capability to make a decision within a short time frame when they moved tonight’s game.  Everyone knew days out that the field would be in awful shape that Friday night also.

I’d honestly let it go and smirk of Cathedral would just fess up and show their hand.  It was obvious gamesmanship.

Once again, this is CATHEDRAL we are talking about, not Dugger or Edinburgh.

(Hell, with the arrogance of many Cathedral folks, they probably believe that they did Plainfield a favor by shortening their bus ride just to get their teeth kicked in tonight.)

41 minutes ago, temptation said:

Just to be clear, no one is “losing their mind.”

However, the hypocrisy of moving tonight’s game against PLAINFIELD while maintaining the stance that the field was not only playable but that CG fans were “whining” is damn rich.

They showed the capability to make a decision within a short time frame when they moved tonight’s game.  Everyone knew days out that the field would be in awful shape that Friday night also.

I’d honestly let it go and smirk of Cathedral would just fess up and show their hand.  It was obvious gamesmanship.

Once again, this is CATHEDRAL we are talking about, not Dugger or Edinburgh.

(Hell, with the arrogance of many Cathedral folks, they probably believe that they did Plainfield a favor by shortening their bus ride just to get their teeth kicked in tonight.)

@WCGrad92I rest my case. I knew he wouldn't disappoint.

Tonight's game was moved likely because the field got pounded for 2 Friday nights and weeks of rainy weather. I would bet even the grounds crew couldn't get out on it to do any work because of the weeks of saturation. I am not Cathedral administration so I have no dog in the mix. I will say I highly doubt there was any more gamesmanship for the CG game than there was for Penn, Chatard, Hammond Morton, or TH North. If they hadn't played those other games there this year or last I would totally agree with you. That's is why I even brought up Pioneer (during the Jack Kiser) era. If I remember correctly they moved a late post season game to a turf field because their field had got into bad shape after some back to back games on a grass field dealing with rain.

On to other things. When talking about Neutral sites I would be curious what criteria some would want for Neutral sites. There are some nice D2 and D3 fields. However the problem I see is many of them have large home side bleachers, but visitor bleachers are not very big (and they don't need to be because very rarely are they filled up by opposing teams they play that travel from out of state). You have the D1 colleges that are pretty big. Would there be certain High School you could use. I like the Neutral site idea just wanting to get some ideas.

6 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Tonight's game was moved likely because the field got pounded for 2 Friday nights and weeks of rainy weather. I would bet even the grounds crew couldn't get out on it to do any work because of the weeks of saturation. I am not Cathedral administration so I have no dog in the mix. I will say I highly doubt there was any more gamesmanship for the CG game than there was for Penn, Chatard, Hammond Morton, or TH North. If they hadn't played those other games there this year or last I would totally agree with you. That's is why I even brought up Pioneer (during the Jack Kiser) era. If I remember correctly they moved a late post season game to a turf field because their field had got into bad shape after some back to back games on a grass field dealing with rain.

On to other things. When talking about Neutral sites I would be curious what criteria some would want for Neutral sites. There are some nice D2 and D3 fields. However the problem I see is many of them have large home side bleachers, but visitor bleachers are not very big (and they don't need to be because very rarely are they filled up by opposing teams they play that travel from out of state). You have the D1 colleges that are pretty big. Would there be certain High School you could use. I like the Neutral site idea just wanting to get some ideas.

Even if you were a member of Cathedral administration, you would not come out and give a straight answer.

Your analysis of their other games is shortsighted.  They could’ve played those games on an aircraft carrier and it would not have mattered.

CG was the only team on the schedule more talented than the Irish and the only team with a clear and distinct speed advantage.

You continue to believe your fairy tales, I’ll live in reality.

12 hours ago, temptation said:

A state/national powerhouse program playing on that field is an absolute abomination.  They should be embarrassed.

Just a game.  Played by children.

People need to remember that and put it in the correct perspective.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Just a game.  Played by children.

People need to remember that and put it in the correct perspective.

Those in education-based athletics commit themselves to putting those very same children that you speak of in the very best position to succeed whether it be in the classroom or on the playing field.

Can’t have it both ways.

Do better.

Ok this is something I use hear when I played and everything was grass. If you have have fast team you keep the grass short if you team is more power then speed you let it grow long.  Not sure if really does any thing but I know it was something I heard a lot and know teams would do.  

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Those in education-based athletics commit themselves to putting those very same children that you speak of in the very best position to succeed whether it be in the classroom or on the playing field.

Can’t have it both ways.

Do better.

Again, just a game. Played by children. 

Trying to equate Indiana High School football with the the importance of the educational classroom are deluded, plain and simple.  It's called "extracurricular" for a reason.

And I agree.  You can't have it both ways, yet your statement seems to advocate exactly that.

55 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Pioneer moved semistate games in 2017 and 2018 due to poor field conditions as well as press box space for the various media groups present for radio and online broadcasts.

Pioneer's field is an embarrassment in the best of conditions let alone after downpours. The home bleachers are a safety hazard and if the scoreboard controls aren't positioned right it loses connection to the scoreboard and shuts it off in the middle of the game. Unfortunately, the admin doesn't care enough to enact any kind of change to the stadium.

We are lucky to have a great relationship with Logansport and their athletic director Brian Strong. We will be playing at Logansport again tonight in our sectional semifinal game against Delphi. Logansport is a good midway point between both Pioneer and Delphi. It's just unfortunate that with Pioneer's history we don't even have the internal support to take care of our field to ensure player safety.

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

That's taking liberties to use the term "grass field" when referring The Pit.  It's kind of like "pork and beans" or "chicken and rice;" just because it's first doesn't means there's a bunch of it.  Unless of course, you are talking about the start of the season, then you could lose small kids in it. 😀

5 minutes ago, FarmerFran said:

Pioneer's field is an embarrassment in the best of conditions let alone after downpours. The home bleachers are a safety hazard and if the scoreboard controls aren't positioned right it loses connection to the scoreboard and shuts it off in the middle of the game. Unfortunately, the admin doesn't care enough to enact any kind of change to the stadium.

Probably more important uses for taxpayer funds that fixing a scoreboard.  And why don't the wealthy farmers around Royal Center pony up some $ for improvements?  

Said to an old friend  (he played at THN with Anthony Thompson) before season started, Thank God for turf and the great advances in turf. In our day, only a few souls ever got a chance to play on a turf (if you made it to the RCA Dome for championship). And the turf was so crude and hard compared to today's great playing surface.

Just now, Muda69 said:

Probably more important uses for taxpayer funds that fixing a scoreboard.  And why don't the wealthy farmers around Royal Center pony up some $ for improvements?  

Scoreboard is brand new last year and completely donated by the local bank. The superintendent is more interested in pushing his liberal agenda than taking care of the facilities we have. The school has been approached by the county community foundation (over 2 years ago I believe)  about financially helping with bleacher replacement , but yet again the ball has been dropped and the can kicked down the road.

39 minutes ago, temptation said:

Can’t have it both ways.

Do better.

I laid off commenting on anything Temptation troll has said because 99% of me thinks he is trying get another topic locked talking about the CG-Cathedral game. I'll indulge since it's Friday. 

There are so many reasons that we played CG at Arlington. None of it had to do with team speed. I believe CHS is a faster team than CG is. We had multiple IHSAA track finalists as well, etc. 

Arlington is and has been our de facto home field since the late 1980s. It has many home field advantages the last of which was the grass playing field. Grass has just lately been an advantage during the recent shift to turf fields in the last 5 - 7 years. So, for 30 years of playing CHS football there, it was just another field surface. 

Arlington's home field advantage is much more: 

1. Proximity (1 mile from CHS campus). Our Friday routine of mass, walk through, meal can start later with the end of school. 

2. Crowned field - the slight crown on the field (for drainage, by the way) poses some different passing challenges.

3. Visitor locker room and press box - Visitor locker is in the school and a short walk to the field. Likewise, the press box is extremely tight. 

4. History - many, many Sectional, Regional, and Semi-state games have been won on that field. Sometimes in the freezing slop of a rain game. One of the best games of all time there was one of our best teams ever in 1999 losing to Arlington (who was the visiting team - yes you heard that right) with Mr. Football Derrick Ellis in a complete monsoon. These Irish players study and know our Irish Football history. 

At the end of the day, we'll decide what field suits us better to win the game. We prefer Arlington, but if a turf field might be a sizable advantage, we'll move it. I can't see us doing this for a regular season game. We have a contract with Arlington for the regular season. We also don't get all the gate for the IHSAA playoffs. 

Edited by IndianaWrestlingGuy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FarmerFran said:

Scoreboard is brand new last year and completely donated by the local bank. The superintendent is more interested in pushing his liberal agenda than taking care of the facilities we have.

Interesting that they replaced an entire scoreboard without also replacing the old scoreboards malfunctioning controls. And please expound on this 'liberal agenda' you claim the school superintendent is pushing.

7 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Interesting that they replaced an entire scoreboard without also replacing the old scoreboards malfunctioning controls. And please expound on this 'liberal agenda' you claim the school superintendent is pushing.

Controls and scoreboard are new, but the connection is digital, if there is not a direct line of site between controls and board it goes out. There is equipment that can be purchased to limit the disruption it just has not been purchased. I'm not going into details on here on his politics and should have refrained from the comment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Again, just a game. Played by children. 

Trying to equate Indiana High School football with the the importance of the educational classroom are deluded, plain and simple.  It's called "extracurricular" for a reason.

And I agree.  You can't have it both ways, yet your statement seems to advocate exactly that.

An extracurricular that molds youngsters and teaches many life lessons through sport, no?

Can we at least agree that extracurriculars can play a large role in the lives of youth and aid in helping the become successful adults?  Or are you also not willing to concede that point?

31 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

I laid off commenting on anything Temptation troll has said because 99% of me thinks he is trying get another topic locked talking about the CG-Cathedral game. I'll indulge since it's Friday. 

There are so many reasons that we played CG at Arlington. None of it had to do with team speed. I believe CHS is a faster team than CG is. We had multiple IHSAA track finalists as well, etc. 

Arlington is and has been our de facto home field since the late 1980s. It has many home field advantages the last of which was the grass playing field. Grass has just lately been an advantage during the recent shift to turf fields in the last 5 - 7 years. So, for 30 years of playing CHS football there, it was just another field surface. 

Arlington's home field advantage is much more: 

1. Proximity (1 mile from CHS campus). Our Friday routine of mass, walk through, meal can start later with the end of school. 

2. Crowned field - the slight crown on the field (for drainage, by the way) poses some different passing challenges.

3. Visitor locker room and press box - Visitor locker is in the school and a short walk to the field. Likewise, the press box is extremely tight. 

4. History - many, many Sectional, Regional, and Semi-state games have been won on that field. Sometimes in the freezing slop of a rain game. One of the best games of all time there was one of our best teams ever in 1999 losing to Arlington (who was the visiting team - yes you heard that right) with Mr. Football Derrick Ellis in a complete monsoon. These Irish players study and know our Irish Football history. 

At the end of the day, we'll decide what field suits us better to win the game. We prefer Arlington, but if a turf field might be a sizable advantage, we'll move it. I can't see us doing this for a regular season game. We have a contract with Arlington for the regular season. We also don't get all the gate for the IHSAA playoffs. 

The topic is playing fields.  The most debated/questioned playing field of the season has been Arlington for obvious reasons.

Indiana had a chance to put itself on the map and in the national spotlight earlier this month and one school chose not to by playing the contest on a slip and slide.

CG’s speed is far superior to Cathedral’s, both at the top end of the roster as well as depth.  That is not debatable.  Cathedral had multiple state finalists but nearly every kid that CG put on the bus that day last June earned all state recognition.  

“At the end of the day, we’ll decide what field suits us better to win the game.”

FINALLY…an admission.  I know this was a big step for you but it’s critical to the healing process.

Just now, temptation said:

The topic is playing fields.  The most debated/questioned playing field of the season has been Arlington for obvious reasons.

Indiana had a chance to put itself on the map and in the national spotlight earlier this month and one school chose not to by playing the contest on a slip and slide.

CG’s speed is far superior to Cathedral’s, both at the top end of the roster as well as depth.  That is not debatable.  Cathedral had multiple state finalists but nearly every kid that CG put on the bus that day last June earned all state recognition.  

“At the end of the day, we’ll decide what field suits us better to win the game.”

FINALLY…an admission.  I know this was a big step for you but it’s critical to the healing process.

Now, I need the REAL story on why Tech is no longer an option for Cathedral…I’ve heard rumors…

13 minutes ago, temptation said:

An extracurricular that molds youngsters and teaches many life lessons through sport, no?

Can we at least agree that extracurriculars can play a large role in the lives of youth and aid in helping the become successful adults?  Or are you also not willing to concede that point?

I'm willing to concede that there are other activities, "extracurricular" or not, that molds youngsters and teaches many life lessons along helping them to become successful adults, other the football.  And that the condition of a playing field or scoreboard is irrelevant to that role.  Yet some on this forum seem to believe it is.

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

So the citizens of Indiana were given this choice?  I don't remember getting an email or text indicating where I could vote on the matter.

And here we go again with this 'national spotlight' nonsense.  Just a game.  Played by children.

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So the citizens of Indiana were given this choice?  I don't remember getting an email or text indicating where I could vote on the matter.

And here we go again with this 'national spotlight' nonsense.  Just a game.  Played by children.

A game played by children that can open doors for many of them.

A game played by children that takes the time to crown a champion.

A game played by children that takes the time to compile national rankings.

A game played by children in which networks show high profile contests on national television.

A game played by children that has a dedicated forum like this one that you spends hours on each day.

You like to “poo poo” the significance and interest in the sport all the while allowing it to consume a large chunk of your time.

Interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

That's taking liberties to use the term "grass field" when referring The Pit.  It's kind of like "pork and beans" or "chicken and rice;" just because it's first doesn't means there's a bunch of it.  Unless of course, you are talking about the start of the season, then you could lose small kids in it. 😀

Definitely came to mind with the lose small kids in it.

Disappear GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, temptation said:

A game played by children that can open doors for many of them.

A game played by children that takes the time to crown a champion.

A game played by children that takes the time to compile national rankings.

A game played by children in which networks show high profile contests on national television.

A game played by children that has a dedicated forum like this one that you spends hours on each day.

You like to “poo poo” the significance and interest in the sport all the while allowing it to consume a large chunk of your time.

Interesting.

Just a game.  And I spend a lot of my time on this forum over in the OOB section, posting about important issues affecting our state and country.