Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Moving Tournament Games

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

How are the gate receipts and concessions sales divvied up when such a move occurs?  Is the prior home field school athletic department now out considerable $?

Sectional gate money is divided equally among the schools in a given sectional. It could have an impact as people might be less willing to travel in adverse weather conditions. 

5 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Sectional gate money is divided equally among the schools in a given sectional. It could have an impact as people might be less willing to travel in adverse weather conditions. 

Ok.  So with a game moving to a different field/school that $ is now divided by 3?  Or are the AD's at these schools opening up their fields and concessions bro bono?

9 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Ok.  So with a game moving to a different field/school that $ is now divided by 3?  Or are the AD's at these schools opening up their fields and concessions bro bono?

If the game is moved to a school in the same sectional, then the gate goes into the same pot. If the school that the game is moved to is not in that sectional, I am guessing they do not get any of the gate. Concessions are something AD's work together to decide. If the host school puts people in them to work, then that school gets a cut of the concessions. But yeah, that is where the biggest hit in the pocketbook would come for a school that has to move a game. I would venture to guess that if a school chooses to be an alternate site for a game and is not in the same sectional, they would likely want to keep a larger chunk of the concession money. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Just wish we'd have neutral sites for regional and semi state, just like....... every other sport. 

If they do it like basketball that means no regional or semi state games in Indianapolis or Fort Wayne.

Edited by jakone

From what I have seen in the past the host school will agree to a set fee for use of the facilities. It could be paid by the host school or come out of the money generated and shared by the sectional. From my experiences the school that is hosting the event will get all concessions and the rental fee. The workers are all provided by the school requesting the rental. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Brebeuf's game against North Montgomery has been moved to Crawfordsville. 
Adams Central's game has moved to Bluffton

Brebeuf-North Montgomery just got a lot less interesting. 😒

I feel like the thing that made NM-Danville and NM-Yorktown interesting was the horrid field conditions combined with stout defensive efforts from NM. However, one of NM's biggest advantages got taken away from them, which means Brebeuf will have an easier time escaping the trap.

Either way I don't think NM will score a single point in regulation whether on turf or grass, but instead of losing 14-0 they'll lose 54-0.

13 minutes ago, jakone said:

If they do it like basketball that means no regional or semi state games in Indianapolis or Fort Wayne.

Says who? They could definitely host both of those for FOOTBALL.

I think for Fort Wayne specifically, they do not get to host too many basketball regionals or semi-state games because none of their basketball gyms are large enough. I think Northrop's gym is the largest capacity at 3,500, with Northside and Wayne and right behind at 3,300 and 3,200 respectively. New Haven's gym is 3,300 as well.

Compared to the 16 Regional sites last year, only Northrop would be larger than 2 of the locations (Triton 3,470 and Lapel 3,051) while the other 3 I mentioned would only be bigger than Lapel.

All the schools' gyms are less than half the size of the smallest Semi-State site last year (Washington at 7,090).

But with Football, there are plenty of nice stadiums in Fort Wayne, with turf, that could host neutral site Regional and/or Semi-State games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Says who? They could definitely host both of those for FOOTBALL.

I think for Fort Wayne specifically, they do not get to host too many basketball regionals or semi-state games because none of their basketball gyms are large enough. I think Northrop's gym is the largest capacity at 3,500, with Northside and Wayne and right behind at 3,300 and 3,200 respectively. New Haven's gym is 3,300 as well.

Compared to the 16 Regional sites last year, only Northrop would be larger than 2 of the locations (Triton 3,470 and Lapel 3,051) while the other 3 I mentioned would only be bigger than Lapel.

All the schools' gyms are less than half the size of the smallest Semi-State site last year (Washington at 7,090).

But with Football, there are plenty of nice stadiums in Fort Wayne, with turf, that could host neutral site Regional and/or Semi-State games.

They used play regional and semi state games at the memorial coliseum which now holds 13,000 for basketball.

5 minutes ago, jakone said:

They used play regional and semi state games at the memorial coliseum which now holds 13,000 for basketball.

Okay? And they still very well could. But I do not see your point in saying "If they do it like basketball that means no regional or semi state games in Indianapolis or Fort Wayne."

14 hours ago, BACKSIDEBELLY said:

Just play the game where it is originally scheduled to be played.  Chasing favorable conditions is taking away from the heart of football.  It’s ok to play in the mud!!

I disagree.  I was able to watch some of the South Adams vs. Monroe Central game and that game was played in mud pit.  Not only did it take away from both teams but it may have tore the field up and require some $$$ to repair.

The field turf at least would offer some chance for both teams to play on a decent field and also allow them to put forth their best effort that is not changed due to the weather.

• Like 1

I would suggest that the IHSAA play all sectional games at home sites.  With the option to move to bigger/better equipped fields for the second and third round games.  Then play all regional/semi state games at neutral sites.

As I mentioned in a previous post watching the Adams Central vs. Monroe Central game last night made me wonder if the game was played on turf would it have been a better game for both teams?  I live in Plymouth and we have a very nice facility and since we were out of the tourney it was open to use.  I think that at least it should be discussed by the IHSAA.