Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Roughing the QB

PHJIrish

Question

Is it my imagination or has the criteria for roughing the passer changed this year at all levels?  I'm all for protecting the QB but I've seen some ordinary football hits that have gotten flagged this season.  It makes me think they should just put the red vest on the QBs and make 'em off limits.

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

I have not observed any change in calling this foul at any level. The rule itself has not changed. It’s not a Point of Emphasis. I don’t see it called any more often, as compared to past years. But keep in mind that the rules are different at each level. In the NFL, for example, any contact above the neck is a foul. Contact below the knee is also a foul. At the high school level, we don’t have that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bobref said:

I have not observed any change in calling this foul at any level. The rule itself has not changed. It’s not a Point of Emphasis. I don’t see it called any more often, as compared to past years. But keep in mind that the rules are different at each level. In the NFL, for example, any contact above the neck is a foul. Contact below the knee is also a foul. At the high school level, we don’t have that.

A for instance, today a Colt tackler hit the Tennessee QB around the ankles as he released the ball and it was called.  Maybe it is just my imagination but it seemed that the hit had to be high or really late for roughing to be called.  Oh well. thanks for the update, Bob.

On 10/31/2021 at 9:56 PM, PHJIrish said:

A for instance, today a Colt tackler hit the Tennessee QB around the ankles as he released the ball and it was called.  Maybe it is just my imagination but it seemed that the hit had to be high or really late for roughing to be called.  Oh well. thanks for the update, Bob.

This is the "Tom Brady" rule....to prevent QB's from getting hit low.  Ironic they didn't change the rule when it happened to Carson Palmer when he was a Bengal and they actually were pretty good.  Palmer was never the same after that, the Bengals went back to being the Bengals.

8 hours ago, US31 said:

This is the "Tom Brady" rule....to prevent QB's from getting hit low.  Ironic they didn't change the rule when it happened to Carson Palmer when he was a Bengal and they actually were pretty good.  Palmer was never the same after that, the Bengals went back to being the Bengals.

So you can't hit a QB  too high or you can't hit 'em too low?  

10 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

So you can't hit a QB  too high or you can't hit 'em too low?  

That is an NFL rule.  In high school, the important thing to remember is that the passer is, by definition, a “defenseless player.” We don’t go quite to the same lengths as the pros, so if you “brush” the QB’s helmet it’s not a foul. But any forcible contact above the shoulders is going to draw a flag.

I’ve also heard people talk about the “two-step rule,” but it’s more of a guideline. When I was wearing the white hat, like most referees I would call out “ball’s gone!” when the pass is away. Any contact after that was considered late.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

That is an NFL rule.  In high school, the important thing to remember is that the passer is, by definition, a “defenseless player.” We don’t go quite to the same lengths as the pros, so if you “brush” the QB’s helmet it’s not a foul. But any forcible contact above the shoulders is going to draw a flag.

I’ve also heard people talk about the “two-step rule,” but it’s more of a guideline. When I was wearing the white hat, like most referees I would call out “ball’s gone!” when the pass is away. Any contact after that was considered late.

Thanks Bob!

12 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

Just a reminder as an adjunct to the ORIGINAL question....

Its' Roughing the PASSER.... not the QB.  

Yes, I remember having a brief but spirited discussion with a coach once after a roughing the passer on a halfback pass.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 7:42 AM, Bobref said:

This video is from the Tipton/Eastbrook game. The flag was for roughing the passer. Is this correct or not, please explain your opinion.

7 minutes ago, Devilpride95 said:

This video is from the Tipton/Eastbrook game. The flag was for roughing the passer. Is this correct or not, please explain your opinion.

It looks like the defender grabbed the QB’s face mask before the pass. Any personal foul against the passer is treated as roughing the passer. However, this foul does not qualify because the foul occurred before the pass. A player does not become a passer until the ball is thrown. Although they are both 15 yd. personal fouls, the enforcement can be different. Since, in this case, the pass was incomplete, both fouls would be enforced from the previous spot. Roughing is an automatic first down, while grabbing the face mask is not.

39 minutes ago, Bobref said:

It looks like the defender grabbed the QB’s face mask before the pass. Any personal foul against the passer is treated as roughing the passer. However, this foul does not qualify because the foul occurred before the pass. A player does not become a passer until the ball is thrown. Although they are both 15 yd. personal fouls, the enforcement can be different. Since, in this case, the pass was incomplete, both fouls would be enforced from the previous spot. Roughing is an automatic first down, while grabbing the face mask is not.

That’s what we thought. It should have been 3rd and 5, but they ended up giving them an automatic first down. Just unfortunate…I don’t think they scored on that drive but we would have gained significant field position.

6 minutes ago, Devilpride95 said:

That’s what we thought. It should have been 3rd and 5, but they ended up giving them an automatic first down. Just unfortunate…I don’t think they scored on that drive but we would have gained significant field position.

Just to be clear, if the defender had grabbed the facemask after the ball was away, it would be penalized as roughing.