Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame vs. Navy

Bobref

This coming Saturday, Notre Dame will host Navy in the renewal of an intersectional rivalry that was played continuously since 1927, except for last year due to COVID. And every year people ask “ Why does ND still play Navy in this era of playoff football where quality wins can be gold?” The answer is both simple and complex. The short answer is that the University owes the Navy an honor debt that can never be repaid. It dates back to WW II, and is explained here. https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2021/6/30/22557150/why-the-navy-notre-dame-game-matters-midshipmen-irish-mids-ken-niumatalolo-college-football

At Notre Dame, there are some things more important than wins and losses, more important than playoff qualifying, more important even than national championships. Notre Dame will play Navy as long as Navy wants to play Notre Dame. That is absolutely written in stone for reasons that have nothing to do with rankings, bowl games, or championships.

I will be in the house Saturday, as I have been for many of these over the years. I intentionally got tickets in the south end zone, as close to the Navy section as possible. Their people are just outstanding. And if you’ve never seen what happens at the conclusion of the Notre Dame - Navy game, well, all I can say is there is no scene like it anywhere else in college football. I love big time football, the big Bowl games, the playoffs, etc. But for me, this game is the pinnacle, because it represents the pure spirit of college football. Go Irish! Beat Navy! … and then honor them as they deserve.

• Like 5

As a die hard ND fan, and lover of the Flexbone. I love this game and the tradition of both programs. I don't see any reason t drop it. Between the ACC slate, USC, and Stanford, ND should always have time for Navy. If other teams can play Charlotte or Mercer, I see no reason to look down on this game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

No, just a pragmatist.

Get a little romance in your life. You’ll be the better for it.

6 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Admittedly I don't follow Notre Dame too deeply. How has the kid from Pioneer faired? I believe I've seen him getting PT in the limited amount of games I watched. 

He starts at Rover, and has all season.

25 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Get a little romance in your life. 

I already have it.   It's called being happily married for 30+ years.  Don't know what a specific football game has to do with romance though.

Just curious, is there a required class for undergraduates where all the ND football "lore" is taught?

10 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I already have it.   It's called being happily married for 30+ years.  Don't know what a specific football game has to do with romance though.

Romance in a broader sense.

And it’s a graduate level course. 🤣

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Romance in a broader sense.

And it’s a graduate level course. 🤣

Sorry, again I don't personally equate romance with a football game.   Nostalgia yes,  romance no.

Good to know students hard earned $ is being spent on such a class.  And I suspect this particular game is of more importance to Notre Dame's aging and wealthy alumni base than the average undergrad.

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Admittedly I don't follow Notre Dame too deeply. How has the kid from Pioneer faired? I believe I've seen him getting PT in the limited amount of games I watched. 

He intercepted a pass against Wisconsin that helped put the badgers away late. It went 69 yards for a touchdown. He also has 29 tackles, which ranks 8th on the team. 

Edited by BTF
Additional wording

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

And I suspect this particular game is of more importance to Notre Dame's aging and wealthy alumni base than the average undergrad.

Undergrads at Notre Dame are pretty well educated. I'm sure 99% of them understand and respect what the Navy game means to the University. 

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Sorry, again I don't personally equate romance with a football game.   Nostalgia yes,  romance no.

Therein is the problem You regard it as merely a football game. If you had ever been there to see it, you’d realize it is much more than that.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Therein is the problem You regard it as merely a football game. If you had ever been there to see it, you’d realize it is much more than that.

I have been to a Notre Dame football game in the past.  Nice, old stadium, but kind of cramped seating.  Beautiful campus.

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

I have been to a Notre Dame football game in the past.  Nice, old stadium, but kind of cramped seating.  Beautiful campus.

Honestly, Muda. I wish you could attend this game. I think even a hard-boiled cynic like you would be moved by the sight of these 2 teams knocking the crap out of one another for 3-1/2 hrs. … and then 200 fine young men joining in a group to first sing the Navy anthem and then the Notre Dame alma mater, to the respective fan sections, while the band plays. It is really something. Probably won’t make Sports Center. But it is really something to see.

27 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Honestly, Muda. I wish you could attend this game. I think even a hard-boiled cynic like you would be moved by the sight of these 2 teams knocking the crap out of one another for 3-1/2 hrs. … and then 200 fine young men joining in a group to first sing the Navy anthem and then the Notre Dame alma mater, to the respective fan sections, while the band plays. It is really something. Probably won’t make Sports Center. But it is really something to see.

So he could just show up with 3 minutes left in the fourth and not miss the best part of the game?

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2021 at 4:44 PM, Bobref said:

This coming Saturday, Notre Dame will host Navy in the renewal of an intersectional rivalry that was played continuously since 1927, except for last year due to COVID. And every year people ask “ Why does ND still play Navy in this era of playoff football where quality wins can be gold?” The answer is both simple and complex. The short answer is that the University owes the Navy an honor debt that can never be repaid. It dates back to WW II, and is explained here. https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2021/6/30/22557150/why-the-navy-notre-dame-game-matters-midshipmen-irish-mids-ken-niumatalolo-college-football

At Notre Dame, there are some things more important than wins and losses, more important than playoff qualifying, more important even than national championships. Notre Dame will play Navy as long as Navy wants to play Notre Dame. That is absolutely written in stone for reasons that have nothing to do with rankings, bowl games, or championships.

I will be in the house Saturday, as I have been for many of these over the years. I intentionally got tickets in the south end zone, as close to the Navy section as possible. Their people are just outstanding. And if you’ve never seen what happens at the conclusion of the Notre Dame - Navy game, well, all I can say is there is no scene like it anywhere else in college football. I love big time football, the big Bowl games, the playoffs, etc. But for me, this game is the pinnacle, because it represents the pure spirit of college football. Go Irish! Beat Navy! … and then honor them as they deserve.

Well stated.

Took our son to a ND Army game several years ago....Wow, just wow.  This was back in the Brady Quinn days and for an overmatched team, Army hung tough.  But to be in the stadium with the cadets, Army mule mascot, the respect of the ND fans for the Army fight, etc. was incredible.  The pre-game had a C-130 type plane fly overhead with a bunch of Golden Knights jumping out.  All of the Knights landed squarely in the center of the field...the last one with the USA and state of Indiana flags (yes he was a Hoosier) carrying the game ball and handing to the referee.  The place was electric.  As the game ended, just like Army/Navy, the victor sang second.  Army sang to their fans first with ND players behind them,  Then ND players ran to the opposite side of the field, with Army players behind them.  ND sang to their student body, with Army there with them. Then, they all mingled hugging each other.  It was beautiful.  Been to many, many college games.....none better than that one.

Enjoy Bob....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bobref said:

Maybe someday,  if I could get tickets for free or cheap.   Both my father and grandfather were Navy veterans.

On 11/2/2021 at 9:08 PM, Bash Riprock said:

Well stated.

Took our son to a ND Army game several years ago....Wow, just wow.  This was back in the Brady Quinn days and for an overmatched team, Army hung tough.  But to be in the stadium with the cadets, Army mule mascot, the respect of the ND fans for the Army fight, etc. was incredible.  The pre-game had a C-130 type plane fly overhead with a bunch of Golden Knights jumping out.  All of the Knights landed squarely in the center of the field...the last one with the USA and state of Indiana flags (yes he was a Hoosier) carrying the game ball and handing to the referee.  The place was electric.  As the game ended, just like Army/Navy, the victor sang second.  Army sang to their fans first with ND players behind them,  Then ND players ran to the opposite side of the field, with Army players behind them.  ND sang to their student body, with Army there with them. Then, they all mingled hugging each other.  It was beautiful.  Been to many, many college games.....none better than that one.

Enjoy Bob....

I've been to Army games also at Notre Dame Stadium and it's always delightful to talk with, or to just speak to, the Cadets and the Midshipmen.  They are always respectful.  The stadium just seems a lot livelier when the Service Acadamies are there.  Some just get too wound up with results when it comes to sports.  Sometimes it's just nice to enjoy the atmosphere as much as the scoreboard.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I've been to Army games also at Notre Dame Stadium and it's always delightful to talk with, or to just speak to, the Cadets and the Midshipmen.  They are always respectful.  The stadium just seems a lot livelier when the Service Acadamies are there.  Some just get too wound up with results when it comes to sports.  Sometimes it's just nice to enjoy the atmosphere as much as the scoreboard.

Amen PHJIrish....well said.

On 11/2/2021 at 3:07 PM, BTF said:

He intercepted a pass against Wisconsin that helped put the badgers away late. It went 69 yards for a touchdown. He also has 29 tackles, which ranks 8th on the team. 

Good for him! I foolishly assumed he was a Purdue lock and was disappointed when he committed to Notre Dame. I also remember folks around Indy complaining a kid from Pioneer won Mr. Football. Nice to see he's having success at ND.